Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5 saved our lives in today's Noreaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gat821
If anyone else wonders about how the Q5 does on those stupid ramp with roller videos, just point them to this thread
HA, that was a good one.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone else wonders about how the Q5 does on those stupid ramp with roller videos, just point them to this thread
I'm still not too sure about that though. It's strange because at one point when i was stuck, my brother said that my fronts were spinning but not my rears. Both sides were spinning. I tried to brake torque it, traction on and off, all that stuff. Who knows. I do know that quattro shines when you're on a snow covered road doing speeds of 50-60.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
It's strange because at one point when i was stuck, my brother said that my fronts were spinning but not my rears. Both sides were spinning. I tried to brake torque it, traction on and off, all that stuff. Who knows. I do know that quattro shines when you're on a snow covered road doing speeds of 50-60.
Same thing happened to me today, had to get my cousin to help push me out.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Q5...the replacement for Santa's Sleigh!

Originally Posted by kidd07
I have those same tires on my Q5, I personally didn't feel too solid when i was driving it around in 3 inches of snow, it could have been the ice that was on the ground before hand, but regardless, I ordered Michelin X-ice Xi2, should be here in a few days.
Originally Posted by kidd07
I have those same tires on my Q5, I personally didn't feel too solid when i was driving it around in 3 inches of snow, it could have been the ice that was on the ground before hand, but regardless, I ordered Michelin X-ice Xi2, should be here in a few days.
Wow! What a ride back from Syracuse, NY to Northern NJ last night. My 2010 Q5 w snows was rock solid. I do that drive weekly and the snows are a must have. I landed back in NJ, in the middle of the storm and when I got up this am to go to work there was 30"+ of the white stuff plus drifts over my 6 ft head. The Q got me to work on totally abandoned roads this am.

Hey, to the nut that I passed on the NYS Thruway in the blizzard in the R8, I like your moxie! I got a picture of you I will try to post it here.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

So in addition of my trip out to Seattle https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24081267&posted=1#post24081267
which sounded a lot like the things that the NE got. The trip back on Sunday and today was different. Ran into Black Ice outside of Boise. My side assist kept me from hitting someone who was in my blind spot as I entered I-80 from I-84. And the 55mph winds in NE Wyoming were blowing snow so hard you could not see the road.

Got to say the stores about how great the Q5 are true.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmahase
Same thing happened to me today, had to get my cousin to help push me out.
Stuck in front of my inlaws that time, back wheels were not moving and front were as well. Anyone have an explanation on why that may happen?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea, this is a little troubling to hear that even when turning ESP on and off and brake torque, still only one set of wheels spun. Maybe there is some truth to those videos of the Q5 getting stuck on those rollers.

I'm still not too sure about that though. It's strange because at one point when i was stuck, my brother said that my fronts were spinning but not my rears. Both sides were spinning. I tried to brake torque it, traction on and off, all that stuff. Who knows. I do know that quattro shines when you're on a snow covered road doing speeds of 50-60.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting to see that with traction on, it didn't send power to the rears, when the fronts were spinning. How did you eventually get out, Coolieman?

Regardless, from the news reports, it seems that this is the worst storm in a few years to hit the northeast, so the fact that both you and theperchik got as far as you got - I'm still pretty darn impressed.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting to see that with traction on, it didn't send power to the rears, when the fronts were spinning. How did you eventually get out, Coolieman?

Regardless, from the news reports, it seems that this is the worst storm in a few years to hit the northeast, so the fact that both you and theperchik got as far as you got - I'm still pretty darn impressed.
Originally Posted by Epicurus88
Yea, this is a little troubling to hear that even when turning ESP on and off and brake torque, still only one set of wheels spun. Maybe there is some truth to those videos of the Q5 getting stuck on those rollers.
I got out with a shovel, borrowed it from a guy. a little bit of digging to free it up a bit and once i got a little bit of forward or back i was able to rock my way out, just back and fourth, D to R back and fouth, dont even stop just rock her and eventually you break free and give it gas and it gets its way out. I am impressed I got as far as I did, I had no issues in deep snow when i had my momentum, i was able to maintain my speed while in it, its just when you come to a stop. I made it up hills that had a good 6 inches uncleaned without any problems.

The way I see it is that yes I got stuck, yes the Quattro system did not perform the way I would have liked it to but even if all 4 of my wheels spun I was not going to get out unless I dug. It is weird but today i had to go through a huge snow drift from a plow and i muscled through it, hit it hard, front got through, rear high centered and I was able to rock my way out.

I tried every technique i have read about to get out of my stuck spots but ultimately it came down to decision making of where to go. What impressed me about the Q5's system as I said in another thread is how well it did moving along at speed on the highway. Also no matter how much snow my left or right side was in, as long as one side had traction it went through and felt solid as a rock!

This storm was bad but what made it bad was that it was so much snow in such a short time. Snow fell at 2-3 inches an hour. we got 24" in 18 hours. Plows and such focus on major roads and they have to continually plow them becuase of the accumulation rate. They can't just plow and do some side streets at the same time. Then when it gets to be 24" plows get stuck and can't clean the side streets as easily so thats where the problems are. Not because of budget cuts and people blaming politicians. Ignorance is bliss...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

^ I'm guessing you don't have winter tires?

Quick Reply: My Q5 saved our lives in today's Noreaster