Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5 saved our lives in today's Noreaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
^ I'm guessing you don't have winter tires?
Nope, wish I did, sadly I don't. My 335d has winters but thats cause it came with summers. It was driven in 2" of snow and they performed great but then she went in the warm garage.

I have stock OEM Michellin Latitude Tour HP's. 235/60r18. 16k miles on it. They worked really well for an all season tire. Great tire IMO, very quiet, handles well in dry rain and snow. Pressure is around 35psi. plenty of tread and they are rotated and aligned.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Bridgestones Summers and my Q5 was a champ

I love AWD cars!

I'm sure if I had dedicated winter tires this car would be a tank.

Just a tip for summers only drivers who play in the snow; little to no gas can/should get you out of most spots, even 2ft snow drifts.

In the event that you do get stuck, 1. rock the car back and forth with little to no gas or 2. use brute force and just peg the gas, be mindful that the same amount of grip you have pulling your car out is equal to the grip of stopping it when shooting out of a stop.

Needless to say no need for winter tires here unless I do some major traveling in the snow. Summer tires do work, you just have to work with what you got haha

-Rudy
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

There should be little issue when creating momentum with summer tires but stopping is another story.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by deznuts05
2011 Bridgestones Summers and my Q5 was a champ

I love AWD cars!

I'm sure if I had dedicated winter tires this car would be a tank.

Just a tip for summers only drivers who play in the snow; little to no gas can/should get you out of most spots, even 2ft snow drifts.

In the event that you do get stuck, 1. rock the car back and forth with little to no gas or 2. use brute force and just peg the gas, be mindful that the same amount of grip you have pulling your car out is equal to the grip of stopping it when shooting out of a stop.

Needless to say no need for winter tires here unless I do some major traveling in the snow. Summer tires do work, you just have to work with what you got haha

-Rudy
First I'd like to comment on your signature, "Power is nothing without control" ummmm how does this make sense? you're saying to use the power of your car to rock it but you have really bad tires for control? Total contradiction.

I read this post and I am offended by your exageggerations. There is no way in hell you made it through 2 foot snow drifts on summer tires. I bet many other members will call BS on that as well.

I love how you never mentioned turning or stopping becuase thats where your summer tires will do nothing for you.

I've seen summer tires in the snow, minimal snow and those people just spin tires all day without even high centering.

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
There should be little issue when creating momentum with summer tires but stopping is another story.
Let him try pulling out of a 2 inch snow drift on a hill with his summers. Then he will understand what a hard compund and small tread will do when the snow gets clogged in it and turns your tires into hockey pucks!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
First I'd like to comment on your signature, "Power is nothing without control" ummmm how does this make sense? you're saying to use the power of your car to rock it but you have really bad tires for control? Total contradiction.

I read this post and I am offended by your exageggerations. There is no way in hell you made it through 2 foot snow drifts on summer tires. I bet many other members will call BS on that as well.

I love how you never mentioned turning or stopping becuase thats where your summer tires will do nothing for you.

I've seen summer tires in the snow, minimal snow and those people just spin tires all day without even high centering.

Let him try pulling out of a 2 inch snow drift on a hill with his summers. Then he will understand what a hard compund and small tread will do when the snow gets clogged in it and turns your tires into hockey pucks!

Coolieman1220, please pardon my reply however they were not directed towards you but to the masses.

Secondly, I will not begin a flame match with you online.

Thirdly, if you do not understand my signature please PM me and I can discuss it with you in private.

In closing, I wanted to share my experience of my ride into work today. Sorry that I hurt anyone's feelings.

Rudy Diaz

PS: if anyone has any questions please feel to PM me in private.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kidd07
From Tirerack.com

i ordered a set of OZ 17" Rims, with the Michelin Xice for $1050 shipped, and tirerack is offering a $70 american express gift card for the purchase of these tires. It was a decision between the Bridgestone Blizztak or these, and i choose these because it was recommended to me, and because of the gift card.

$1050 small price to pay for me and my families safety in the snow. I live in jersey and went down to the jersey shore outlet when the snow first began, when i got there, it was about 3 inches of snow max, I made a right turn from a stop sign, and midway through the turn I felt the rear swaying. Another time was coming down a very small hill, and i had trouble stopping.

Then i came home and went on tirerack to read the reviews of the Goodyear LS2 tire, and out of 10 for snow traction it got about a 3.5 or 4, which is pretty bad, then reading more reviews, a lot of people complain about their bad traction in snow.
Wow I was just going over this thread and i just read this. That's funny that you were at the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets earlier that day as well. My family did the same with the 335d while I was skiing. The 335d has winter tires, (Dunlop WinterSport 3D's) They said the drive that was pretty bad but they made it home in time.

Oh by the way the reason this storm was so bad in NYC was because the sanitation crews did a terrible drive cleaning. They purposely didn't clean as a way to protest budget cuts. Many side streets weren't cleaned till 2 days later. It was a mess.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Coolieman, this thread is so hyperbolic. Saved your lives? C'mon! Would you have died without your Q5?

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Wow I was just going over this thread and i just read this. That's funny that you were at the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets earlier that day as well. My family did the same with the 335d while I was skiing. The 335d has winter tires, (Dunlop WinterSport 3D's) They said the drive that was pretty bad but they made it home in time.

Oh by the way the reason this storm was so bad in NYC was because the sanitation crews did a terrible drive cleaning. They purposely didn't clean as a way to protest budget cuts. Many side streets weren't cleaned till 2 days later. It was a mess.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Epicurus88
Coolieman, this thread is so hyperbolic. Saved your lives? C'mon! Would you have died without your Q5?
Please note, I did not make this thread, i am not the OP, ask him that question. I would have been fine in a Mercedes Benz G wagon, or a Range Rover. haha.

I just had a very similar story to the OP.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Epicurus88
Actually i started the thread and i am pretty sure without the Q5 i would not have made it home that night based on my previous cars of a 06 scion tC and a 07 awd v6 highlander.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

had an 01 highlander before the Q and that was a piece of crap. especially its fool you awd system. Had a 2007 Lexus RX350 that had a terrible AWD as well and an ever worst traction control that would beep at you when it engaged and flash lights too.