Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is nav as bad as the reviews say?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus has the best, Acura, Infiniti (is there a theme here?) and even Cadillac are better than the Q5 nav (screen resolution is fabulous). Very poor detail - street names, etc. - when zoomed and frequent poor routing. I use the maps app on my Iphon when I need detailed map information.

No updates available? Not good!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Maybe it depends where you live, and where you buy. I live in the Baltimore / Washington area and we don't have too much going on with major new roads EXCEPT for our new Route 200 which bisects a major area between Baltimore and Washington DC. That's it. I like the Nav System for this part of the country.
One thumb up here
Otto, I agree with you. We have not had any problems with the Nav in, and around, Philly, or anywhere in the northeast. I frequently visit family in my hometown of Lake George NY, and have never had a problem there, or anywhere in between. My only complaint would be the points of interest being outdated. I've never had an in-car Nav where they were completely up-to-date though, so I can't say Audi is any different for me there.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
Lexus has the best, Acura, Infiniti (is there a theme here?) and even Cadillac are better than the Q5 nav (screen resolution is fabulous). Very poor detail - street names, etc. - when zoomed and frequent poor routing. I use the maps app on my Iphon when I need detailed map information.

No updates available? Not good!
Lexus locks out the navi when the car is in motion. If you passenger wants to make a change to the navi or look up a POI, you need to pull over or exit the highway.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh, if it wasn't $3k option i wouldnt mind it at all (rearview camera/sensors is quickly becoming a standard equipment on base trim CUVs, as it's a basic saftey feature). For $3k i expect best current technology has to offer.

As for NAV itself it got good resolution, is fairly easy to operate. It's route choices are questionable tho... tried several local routes i know very well, on occassions it was selecting obviously longer routes...
Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One more thumbs up for the Nav here. No issues here in the Midwest. As noted, it really does seem to be depending on if your area is current in the map database. I think it's not realistic to expect any integrated Nav to be as good as a decent smartphone. Pace of change there is just too fast. Now, comparing to other cars navs is fair game...
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gat821
One more thumbs up for the Nav here. No issues here in the Midwest. As noted, it really does seem to be depending on if your area is current in the map database. I think it's not realistic to expect any integrated Nav to be as good as a decent smartphone. Pace of change there is just too fast. Now, comparing to other cars navs is fair game...
I was surprised to see in my 300 rental recently, a factory integrated Garmin nav. I think that's the way to go. It had one of those 7" MMI like screen with radio, AC controls, clock, etc, but when you switch to nav, familiar Garmin interface pops up on the screen.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rick480
Routing is questionable, maps are outdated, and ETA calculations are ridiculous.
Exactly
Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I actually like it more than my iPhone

I have a 2012 model which has the more recent map and it actually has the highway interchanges that were added not too long ago. I live in the central Florida area and there has not been a single case of a misroute or missing street in the last 6 months I've had the car.

I think an integrated nav definitely beats anything you can carry in your pocket. Sure, the POI database is old and not updated but it's impossible to be up to dat with that stuff unless you gets an update every 3 months. In my opinion the point of the nav is to navigate, not to use it as yellow pages. Just look up the address and *tell* the car to take you there. (can your Garmin understand spoken street names?).

Another huge advantage I had is the traffic updates. I kept my Sirius traffic subscription and it has saved me on many occasions from getting stuck on the interstate. It's wonderful to hear that my route has been modified due to traffic conditions without me ever worrying about it.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had a Q5 without the nav, and now one with the nav, and I'm much happier with the integrated nav.

The Garmin I had stuck to the windshield was less complex, but everything else is better with Audi's integrated nav.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it sucks.

Reasons:

1. Input mechanism is very clunky. By voice, you have to do each input box. Most of the time it hears you well... but it takes forever and is a big distraction.

2. By default, the input screen comes up if nav is on. Wouldn't it make sense that the map would be there so when you aren't using nav, at least you could see the map??! No way to set this otherwise.

3. The screen has annoying overlays. Instead of a banner at the top or bottom with the road you are on or the next turn, it has it overlying the map from bottom up. It is very confusing in that order and it obscures part of the map. You can have this turned off but then you don't know your next turn.

4. Old maps

Suggestions:

1 Get the nav if you are willing to pay the 3K and you want the other items that come with Nav.

2. Get the nav over a garmin or other add on (who wants to stick that thing on each time)

3. If you have android (not IPHONE!), get a cellet holder that goes in the lighter and use the android/google in nav. It is MUCH better and less distracting and easier to use than the audi. You can say the whole address at once... or the destination (and it looks it up on google). Even though it is smaller, the layout is much better. The directions are clearer..even if you turn off the screen! Iphone does not have integrated turn by turn directions. This will result in dangerous distraction. I would only consider this option with android.

I have the audi nav and routinely use my android. It is just better and easier.

Quick Reply: Is nav as bad as the reviews say?