Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Nav map update registration

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, older dvd based update here, maybe the Q5 will get it too:
http://www.audiusaparts.com/partloca...catalogid=7603

pinged them to ask....
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of the update methods either, but it would be technically possible to update the map with a DVD or SD Card. The DVD/ SD card could update the hard drive thereby not requiring any other outside programing equipment from the dealer. This is the same as loading music from a SD Card to the Jukebox. This would seem to be the most efficient and cost effective method. In addition to the updated map and software the disk could self install with a command embedded on the DVD. It could also be married to the GPS so the data is not illegally shared. With my Garmin Zumo the compressed downloaded full NA map is about 1.2 Gig. Still plenty of room on a DVD to update firmware and update the topographical map. Please Audi, make this process user friendly instead of another profit point for the service department.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gr8ridn, that's much too easy and robs the poor service departments of sorely needed revenue.

On a more serious note, my dealer stated that the Nav update would be about $200 but that no one had ever ordered it before. We didn't discuss update methods. I found that very interesting though. It could be interpreted several ways....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, got a response (but no answers so far )

We went as far as possible with regards to upgrading your 2011 Q5 navigation information. Audi is working on whether it will be done by Wireless, DVD download, USB or SD download or through the dealer scan tools.

We asked our Area Service Manager and he noted this has been a hot topic with presently no solid answers. They are thinking late July before we have answers. He did ask if we could provide him with street names, towns, states and zip codes that are not being recognized so they can determine if it is an update issue or a shortcoming of the software, as it is supposed to be the latest navigation information available.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and may help our cause in finding you an answer quicker.

Thank you again for your inquiries, would love to have some street names if you have time. You might check back with us towards the end of July to see what Audi has come up with in navigation updates. Sorry not much help at this time but do hope you try us again in the future.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default $200 appears to be the number

I surfed through the Navteq site and since there is not a Q5 update available, I checked to see how much the update cost for the 2009 Q7...$199.00. It's highway robbery in my book. I could see an initial cost being that high, but for an existing owner of the software??? A free market society at work.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Roger K
It's highway robbery in my book.
Pun intended?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FYI, captive audience

I bought lifetime maps AND Garmin GPS for less than $199
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pointless to register for something that's not going to happen

I've had my Q5 for a year and have looked into this from every angle. Neither Audi, nor the Navteq folks nor the people who make the maps have any intention of updating our 4 year old maps. Each of them points to the other, saying no one has asked for or provided an update.

I've basically quit using my nav since it is wrong 3 out of 4 times and certainly cannot be relied upon in an area you are not familiar with. Until the market catches on and starts refusing to be taken by Audi with this useless product and the rest of us start complaining, nothing is going to happen. I've provided a year's worth of mistakes the nav made to my dealer and they are not the least bit interested in addressing the problem. If anyone is asking, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE NAV!!!

"I registered with Navteq to be notified when the next map updates comes out :

Hope this helps!"
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allgrrl
I've had my Q5 for a year and have looked into this from every angle. Neither Audi, nor the Navteq folks nor the people who make the maps have any intention of updating our 4 year old maps. Each of them points to the other, saying no one has asked for or provided an update.

I've basically quit using my nav since it is wrong 3 out of 4 times and certainly cannot be relied upon in an area you are not familiar with. Until the market catches on and starts refusing to be taken by Audi with this useless product and the rest of us start complaining, nothing is going to happen. I've provided a year's worth of mistakes the nav made to my dealer and they are not the least bit interested in addressing the problem. If anyone is asking, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE NAV!!!

"I registered with Navteq to be notified when the next map updates comes out :

Hope this helps!"
I find it interesting you've had so many issues with the nav being wrong. Were you inputting addresses or using POIs?

I wonder how much has actually changed in four years. I have only driven the Q in New England but I've yet to have it send me to the wrong place. I also wonder how current the data is on a "new" release from Navteq for any vehicle update.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Hah! My salesman said this too and I also asked the question twice. I chalked it up to him not fully understanding the nav system. No way the maps get updated via satellite. It's not a data connection per se, just needed to get it's location fix.
I think we really need to look into this, because my sales guy told me something similar when I picked my car up on Tuedsay. He said if I keep my Sirius traffic subscription the maps will be kept current. I can't stop thinking about what he said and whether or not it's true. Especially, because I've read all the threads about the outdated maps.

I live in a new neighborhood. We built our house 4 years ago. My 2008 Odyssey (which I just traded in for the Q5. Bye-Bye mommy car ) couldn't find my house number and the surrounding streets. The Q5 has all the streets marked on the map, even the ones that have only been there for a couple years. So I'm wondering. Do the people who find the maps outdated have Sirius Traffic subscription? Could that really be the solution to the Nav problems?

Quick Reply: Nav map update registration