Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Nav Update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to Audi's MMI system but very familiar with BMW's map update procedure for CIC and NBT iDrive systems. I assume like BMW, Audi releases two map updates annually, sometimes paired with new firmware.

What's the typical release cycle for MMI 3G+ and when can we expect the next update for the 2012+ Q5 platform?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bsd107
Nope.

"Audi keeps its customers on the right road with the new connect service “Online map update”. If the car is equipped with Audi connect, Audi A6 and Audi A7 Sportback drivers can now download navigation updates directly to the car via the super-high-speed LTE connection. This requires the use of MMI navigation plus. Customers can continue to use a computer to download the data from the myAudi platform (www.audi.de/myaudi) and transfer the map data to the car on an SD card. Installation at an Audi dealership is a third option."

The above is from:
https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...p_to_date.html
This is only on Audis with the new LTE based MMI Audi Connect system. In the U.S., so far only the new 2016 A3/S3 have this system. It is not possible in Audis with the T-Mobile based 3G Audi Connect system. Audi is adding LTE to some other new models later this year according to a press releases.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bsd107
Nope.

"Audi keeps its customers on the right road with the new connect service “Online map update”. If the car is equipped with Audi connect, Audi A6 and Audi A7 Sportback drivers can now download navigation updates directly to the car via the super-high-speed LTE connection. This requires the use of MMI navigation plus. Customers can continue to use a computer to download the data from the myAudi platform (www.audi.de/myaudi) and transfer the map data to the car on an SD card. Installation at an Audi dealership is a third option."

The above is from:
https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...p_to_date.html
I did not know that there are Q5 / SQ5 with super-high-speed LTE connection.
Thanks for the information
Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I did not know that there are Q5 / SQ5 with super-high-speed LTE connection.
Thanks for the information
There aren't.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
There aren't.
I perfectly know, please read my post # 19

4G / LTE system will be available in the new Q5 MY2017

Last edited by spijun; 03-23-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This thread is starting to go around in circles.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just had my '12 Q5 updated with the latest gps release (early Feb 2015) and it's a good news/bad news mix - gps found most POI's we were interested in on a recent road trip to Phoenix but there were probably a half dozen or so places, including a Home Depot in Phoenix and and other points along the route from Alberta, that were not in the dbase. I found myself second guessing the Audi with google maps on my iPhone which never failed to find the places the Audi couldn't.

Graphics were not changed with the update and continue to be excellent considering the unit is now over 3 years old.

A couple of other downsides are the cost to update (over $500 CDN) and has to be done by the dealer. Also the directions provided by the gps rarely give an indication of whether destination is on the left or the right - I can't remember whether this was an issue before the update as we did not use the gps very often prior to the road trip.

Overall, I think it was worthwhile to get this done - we did a test run around our city before leaving on the road trip and several points which the older version did not have were available in the update and it's just so convenient to have the info in the dash especially on an extended road trip.

Still I feel it's only fair to offer this comparison with the gps update we just did on our Kia (also ~3 years old). I did this by myself (update arrived on a usb drive), cost was somewhere around $170 CDN (afair), gps display itself has similar graphics quality to the Audi and almost always indicates whether destination is on the left or the right.
my 2 cents fwiw.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Unlike in Canada, in the US we get Online Google Destinations with Audi Connect which, unlike the built-in static POIs, are more comprehensive and continuously up to date with the same locations as Google Maps on a computer or mobile app. If the Google POI is on a new street not in the MMI map database, at least Online Destinations will get you close.

The destinations have never been shown or announced as to which side of the road they are located. A useful and missing feature.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-23-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a Lexus before the Q5, and in that car, if you input a destination directly into the car's nav. you'd get if the destination was on the right or left. If it was done from a mobile device or laptop it didn't do it.

I thought it was the same with the MMI, but I'm not 100% sure. Worth a try though.