Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5

So met up with a couple friends tonight one 31 one 34 (I am 36). I was telling them about me ordering a new 2014 SQ5. Trading in my S5. Showed them a couple of pics I had googled. They were totally not liking the SQ5. One friend said it was a pregnant roller skate the other said it looked to much like a station wagon. Ugh!!!!!!!!! Now they got me second guessing my choice. I am single 36 male, they said I am to young to drive a mom wagon. I know I should not care as long as I like it but I do see "station wagon" now. I don't know if it is because the SQ5 is lower than the standard Q5. I just don't know. I went by the local Audi dealer on the way home to look at a Q5 in person and I am not seeing it as a station wagon. Just was discouged a little. I do not want a wagon. Sorry AllRoad, rabbit, WRX people but I just am not a wagon person
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's up to you if you want a hatch or not.
And it's your car, not your friends. You are the one who will be driving it all the time so get what you like and will use.

I got the Q5 because I was done with big SUVs, but going back to sedan was poor option because I never had any room for anything. Bikes, skis, dogs, luggage. Just a pain.

I've dropped my Q lower than the SQ5 and modded it as much to boot. It drives like a sports sedan with a backpack, which is the slogan Audi uses for it.

To me the Q7 looks like an SUV. The Q5 and Q3, are both built on sedan platforms, and look the part. The avants and allroad look like station wagons, but are definitely a nice lower setting vehicle
with less interior room.
I prefer to not have to climb up out of a vehicle. The stock Q5 you kind if climb down from. Mine is lowered about 4", and it's pretty much even getting in and out.

The point is, get what you'll be happy with. You're the one buying and driving it.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-10-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
So met up with a couple friends tonight one 31 one 34 (I am 36). I was telling them about me ordering a new 2014 SQ5. Trading in my S5. Showed them a couple of pics I had googled. They were totally not liking the SQ5. One friend said it was a pregnant roller skate the other said it looked to much like a station wagon. Ugh!!!!!!!!! Now they got me second guessing my choice. I am single 36 male, they said I am to young to drive a mom wagon. I know I should not care as long as I like it but I do see "station wagon" now. I don't know if it is because the SQ5 is lower than the standard Q5. I just don't know. I went by the local Audi dealer on the way home to look at a Q5 in person and I am not seeing it as a station wagon. Just was discouged a little. I do not want a wagon. Sorry AllRoad, rabbit, WRX people but I just am not a wagon person
Who is going to drive your vehicle, you or your friends? There might be a little sarcastic envy in their opinions, too. Drive what you want....it's YOUR life.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Was there alcohol involved JBD? Sounds like your buddies were just trying to give you a hard time. Ask yourself why you chose the SQ5 in the first place; if nothing has changed, why should you change?

You're the only one who really has to like it.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything that's already been said here. The only thing I have to add is that I personally haven't found any Internet pictures that really do the Q5 justice--so much so that I've stopped showing people. Standing at the dealer and seeing in person gives such a better perspective. No way could it be viewed as a wagon. The lines of the Avant vs even a lowered Q5/SQ5 are completely different. I used to worry about that too based on the pics. But don't make your decision on how it will look on Facebook, make the decision on how it looks in person when you climb out at the valet.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Screw what your friends say. Get what you like.

Some of my friends don't like the SQ5 either, nor do they like Audis in general, and like most Americans in general, have a distaste for anything wagon-like.

Personally, I love wagons, avants, and the the Q5. The SQ5 will be my second Q5. I would've loved a Audi S or RS Avant of some sort but the SQ5 is all Audi will bring to this side of the Atlantic and I'm cool with that.

I'm 40 so I'm old but my fiancé is 33 and she will be driving the SQ5 mostly and she loves the Q5 and Audi avants as well. In general chicks dig the Q5 so who cares what our sausage party guy friends think. And I don't think that makes it a girly car either.

Ironically, my guy friends who hate on the SQ5 drive the following: Z4 roadster (hairdresser car lol), Nissan GTR (ugly POS), Chevy Avalanche (lol just lol), Porsche 997 Turbo tiptronic (girly transmission for a sports car), and Porsche Panamera Turbo (ugly). Personally, I think my friends tastes in cars suck so it's easy to ignore what they think. Don't make the mistake of seeking your friends' approval with cars. If you think an SQ5 will make you happy, stick with it.

I'm just hoping that I'll get to borrow the SQ5 more than once or twice a week when it gets here
Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I you give in to your friends pressure, what other car would you get??

What if they didn't like that choice either??

I agree, screw 'em get what YOU want. Unless they are helping to pay for it the choice is yours.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys! Woke up this morning feeling better about the SQ5. Watched some YouTube videos on the euro version. Whoever said 40 was old lol. I am pushing 40 (36) but I still feel 17. Lol
Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned an SUV, so the SQ5 would be my first. And I've never owned a vehicle that didn't stir my emotions, and the SQ5 would be a first here too. But honestly, with the exception of a few Infiniti SUVs, are there any that don't look truck like? Personally, I think the newer Ford SUVs (a better knockoff of the Range Rover Evoque) and the Porsche's with their 911 cues make the most of the platform, but they will never be in Jaguar territory. As for the SQ5, the formula Audi front end is fine and the side profile is nice enough. But the artsy triangular tail lights are too KIA like, and those large rectangular reflectors in the corners of the back bumper scream I'm a truck. So for now, I'm on hold waiting for the Porsche Macan.

Last edited by sq5wantabe; 05-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Evoque was my other choice (2 door). The Macan looks to "big booty" to me. Kinda like the smaller Infiniti. I am feeling better about it today. If I had the $$$$$$ my choice would be a cayenne turbo.

Quick Reply: Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5