Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but CUVs are little more than tall wagons. But what's wrong with wagons, exactly? Wagons are awesome and I don't understand all the hate they get in this country (if it's only because of them having been so ugly and huge decades ago, that was kind of a long time ago).

But that being said, you ordered the SQ5 because you wanted one; why care about what these "friends" of yours think? Do you like the looks? Do you like the specs? Do you like the feel? (Obviously you have to guess a little since the closest you can get on a lot is the detuned 3.0T, but the SQ5 will be that and more.)

The only opinion you should be concerned about with a purchase like this is yours. Your friends are free to express distaste with the SQ5, and you're free to not let them ride in it after it comes in.
I agree. When wagons fell into disfavor here in the U.S. manufacturers started calling CUV's and some SUV's everything in the book except a tall/large wagon. I love the wagons from Audi, VW, BMW, MB etc. but wouldn't buy one due to the hit on resale. CUV's have hit a sweet spot with consumers and sales confirm this. They make a lot of sense for a lot people.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the perspective of a mechanical engineer who has never considered the image of a car in a purchasing decision. The only factors for me are if I like the design and features and if I'll like driving it.

SUV? CUV? Minivan?

These are all functionally "station wagons". If it's got four doors and the roof line goes all the way to the rear, then, it does what a station wagon was designed to do. Carry people and a lot of stuff. Automakers have run away from the "station wagon" label. Lately, they are running away from the "minivan" label. Who really cars? They are all really making "station wagons" - it's just not cool to call them that. So, we call them SUVs and built them on ponderous truck frame with four wheel drive without a center differential an a two speed transfer case. Most buyers have no idea what they are getting and not getting when they buy them! Or we call them "minivans" and build them on midsized sedan platforms with sliding doors on both sides. Do buyers really know they are buying a glorified Accord or Taurus?

If you really want to look "un-cool", go to IKEA or Lowes and find that chair you bought doesn't fit into your coupe or sedan. Or, try driving that "RENT ME FOR ONLY $19" rental truck that Lowes and HD have just to bring home a few bags of mulch.

What I really like about the Q5, is that it drives like a sports sedan and can handle just about any chore I have. It's really fun to drive. I can imagine the SQ5 would be a blast.

You known why you want the SQ5. That should be enough. "Station Wagon" is just a label.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just like a guy who chooses to wear a pink shirt once in a while - you have to be comfortable with who you are, and in this case - what YOU like.

I've had a Q5 since 2009, and before that I had a series of special order S4 Avants (2005 B6 and 2008 B7), and believe me - I've been subjected to PLENTY of ridicule (i.e. - "what, did you borrow your mom's station wagon?", or "we're gonna start calling you, Mr. Mom!"). But, as I said before, you have to be secure in your own choices - and I WAS! Every time I turned the key, I was. And, not that it was necessary, but it definitely knocked plenty of naysayers down a few pegs when I smoked just about all of them with my "mom's wagon".

I also bet, as many others have pointed out here, there's plenty of jealousy behind the remarks of your "friends". By their ridicule alone, I'm willing to bet THEY don't drive anything as finely crafted and (IMO) the perfect balance of sport and real-world practicality as an SQ5.

Stay strong, JBD, and above all else - enjoy the f%$k outta that thing when you get it!!!

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
So met up with a couple friends tonight one 31 one 34 (I am 36). I was telling them about me ordering a new 2014 SQ5. Trading in my S5. Showed them a couple of pics I had googled. They were totally not liking the SQ5. One friend said it was a pregnant roller skate the other said it looked to much like a station wagon. Ugh!!!!!!!!! Now they got me second guessing my choice. I am single 36 male, they said I am to young to drive a mom wagon. I know I should not care as long as I like it but I do see "station wagon" now. I don't know if it is because the SQ5 is lower than the standard Q5. I just don't know. I went by the local Audi dealer on the way home to look at a Q5 in person and I am not seeing it as a station wagon. Just was discouged a little. I do not want a wagon. Sorry AllRoad, rabbit, WRX people but I just am not a wagon person
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1

Originally Posted by oltmannd
From the perspective of a mechanical engineer who has never considered the image of a car in a purchasing decision. The only factors for me are if I like the design and features and if I'll like driving it.

SUV? CUV? Minivan?

These are all functionally "station wagons". If it's got four doors and the roof line goes all the way to the rear, then, it does what a station wagon was designed to do. Carry people and a lot of stuff. Automakers have run away from the "station wagon" label. Lately, they are running away from the "minivan" label. Who really cars? They are all really making "station wagons" - it's just not cool to call them that. So, we call them SUVs and built them on ponderous truck frame with four wheel drive without a center differential an a two speed transfer case. Most buyers have no idea what they are getting and not getting when they buy them! Or we call them "minivans" and build them on midsized sedan platforms with sliding doors on both sides. Do buyers really know they are buying a glorified Accord or Taurus?

If you really want to look "un-cool", go to IKEA or Lowes and find that chair you bought doesn't fit into your coupe or sedan. Or, try driving that "RENT ME FOR ONLY $19" rental truck that Lowes and HD have just to bring home a few bags of mulch.

What I really like about the Q5, is that it drives like a sports sedan and can handle just about any chore I have. It's really fun to drive. I can imagine the SQ5 would be a blast.

You known why you want the SQ5. That should be enough. "Station Wagon" is just a label.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well it's a whole different experience than an S5, that's for sure. If your "friends" are S4/S5 guys and young, their comments aren't surprising. I wouldn't go so far as to call a Q5 or an SQ5 a "Mom's car", they are very popular with the moms. I think the "Dad" in the family has more to do with that than anything.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Well it's a whole different experience than an S5, that's for sure. If your "friends" are S4/S5 guys and young, their comments aren't surprising. I wouldn't go so far as to call a Q5 or an SQ5 a "Mom's car", they are very popular with the moms. I think the "Dad" in the family has more to do with that than anything.
His friends drive a Legacy and Tahoe. Their opinions are meaningless.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Yes we do give him a hard time for driving the legacy. We call it the official car of the national lesbian committee. Lol. ( not gay bashing at all my brother has been with his partner for 15 years and my cousin is a lesbian and does drive a outback lol). But my friends Tahoe is cool all blacked out with nice wheels. I think they will be ok with it. Especially the color that I ordered. (Under wraps for now). They thought I should have got a SRT 8 Jeep. But I really don't like the 2014 change and would not buy a old body style. It will all work out now. Guess all I can do is set back and wait on pricing. Expecting it to be somewhere around $61 plus the $2500 color. What do you guess think??? I am buying it at invoice plus a $1000. So it should keep it in the high $50s
Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
.....I wouldn't go so far as to call a Q5 or an SQ5 a "Mom's car", they are very popular with the moms. I think the "Dad" in the family has more to do with that than anything.
hehe, I was quite delighted the Missus choice the Q5 over the other options out there, especially with the 3.0T. Tried to keep a poker face but I was cheering in the background. I have no problems driving that machine, very nice, would even be more so were it an SQ5. Now add a tune in a few years, and then.....

Last edited by JonRS4; 05-13-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Ouch Good Lord well OK then in that case, the Freud in me thinks a jealous resentment or perhaps simply a case of ribbing.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Yes we do give him a hard time for driving the legacy. We call it the official car of the national lesbian committee. Lol. ( not gay bashing at all my brother has been with his partner for 15 years and my cousin is a lesbian and does drive a outback lol). But my friends Tahoe is cool all blacked out with nice wheels. I think they will be ok with it. Especially the color that I ordered. (Under wraps for now). They thought I should have got a SRT 8 Jeep. But I really don't like the 2014 change and would not buy a old body style. It will all work out now. Guess all I can do is set back and wait on pricing. Expecting it to be somewhere around $61 plus the $2500 color. What do you guess think??? I am buying it at invoice plus a $1000. So it should keep it in the high $50s
JBD - "somewhere in the high 50s" would be great. Let's hope AoA ends the suspense soon and releases the 2014 pricing.

Quick Reply: Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5