Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oltmannd
From the perspective of a mechanical engineer who has never considered the image of a car in a purchasing decision. The only factors for me are if I like the design and features and if I'll like driving it.
OK, I know what you are saying, but if it was just all about functionality and practicality, then we would all be driving Subaru Outbacks. Our cars and trucks are obviously huge fashion statements, and probably say more about who we are than anything else we own. And having no regard for the image of the car we drive makes a valid statement too. The challenge for auto makers is to make these "enhanced capability and capacity passenger/cargo movers" stylish too, and some clearly do it better than others.

Last edited by sq5wantabe; 05-14-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says something that you are not only impacted by their comments but that you come here to get reassured from a bunch of faceless folks on the internet.

Buy the car for yourself not anyone else.

You are the one paying for it after all.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sq5wantabe
OK, I know what you are saying, but if it was just all about functionality and practicality, then we would all be driving Subaru Outbacks. Our cars and trucks are obviously huge fashion statements, and probably say more about who we are than anything else we own. And having no regard for the image of the car we drive makes a valid statement too. The challenge for auto makers is to make these "enhanced capability and capacity passenger/cargo automobiles" stylish too, and some clearly do it better than others.
I agree 100%. I buy a car on style and then engine type. As far as how it performs off road, hauls the dog etc. I could care less. It's gotta look good first of all
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The SQ5 is a handsome CUV, you don't need to worry.

photos from Autogespot
http://www.autogespot.com/audi/sq5-tdi-b8/spots
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, I know what you are saying, but if it was just all about functionality and practicality, then we would all be driving Subaru Outbacks. Our cars and trucks are obviously huge fashion statements, and probably say more about who we are than anything else we own. And having no regard for the image of the car we drive makes a valid statement too. The challenge for auto makers is to make these "enhanced capability and capacity passenger/cargo automobiles" stylish too, and some clearly do it better than others.
Engineers have low regard for image. It's my favorite thing about'em! (you should see how I dress!)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, I know what you are saying, but if it was just all about functionality and practicality, then we would all be driving Subaru Outbacks. Our cars and trucks are obviously huge fashion statements, and probably say more about who we are than anything else we own. And having no regard for the image of the car we drive makes a valid statement too. The challenge for auto makers is to make these "enhanced capability and capacity passenger/cargo movers" stylish too, and some clearly do it better than others.
I care about the looks of my cars, but what I don't care about is what other people think (which is what I personally read into "car's image"). All that matters is that I'm happy with my car and it fits my needs/desires.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
I care about the looks of my cars, but what I don't care about is what other people think (which is what I personally read into "car's image"). All that matters is that I'm happy with my car and it fits my needs/desires.
Yeah, I know my taste in vehicles is beyond reproach. When I see young guys with rubber bands for tires on their trucks, or wheels painted all black with blacked-out tail lights and windows, I just chuckle. The whole point of fashion and style is to be seen, and cars project an image about their owners whether we say we care about it or not. Actually, I think we all care about image, even those of us who try to make a fashion statement by saying we don't care about it. It's human nature. One thing for sure. If I spend $60,000+ on an SUV, it darn better be my fashion statement.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is all about a balance between form and function. Some value form more than function, some value function over form. To each their own.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Style over function? Then A5 cab or TT!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

if your worried about what car your friends like when your dropping 50k on it....

you got bigger problems. cancel your order, take a poll of your friends for what you should buy. then do that.grab a skirt and a handbag to match. then wait on the church steps for your ***** to show up.

Quick Reply: Negative Reaction by friends on SQ5