Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Are new maps available ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are new maps available ?!?!

A recent post on Audiforums says maybe :
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi...2/#post1346171

Navigation update for MMI 3G/3G+ vehicles
You need a VAGCOM device that can communicate with Audi technical service to do this update. If you can program your own keys with the device you have, that device can complete this navigation update. If you don’t have a VAS diagnostic scan tool or a VAGCOM that can communicate with Audi via the internet you will need to take your vehicle to your dealer and pay an additional charge for labor.

There is now a navigation software update for all owners that have the MMI 3G/3G+ system. For those that may not know, if the navigation button in your car has a touch pad in the middle of it, you have MMI 3G.

The system is updated using 2 different part numbers.

The first part number is for the SD card. This card erases all old system data. The card also contains the map data and software update information. Consider this a tool that you only need to buy one time. With this you can update an infinite number of cars. Once used your navigation system will not be functional until the system is activated with the PIN number. The price for this is 280.50 dollars.

The second part number is for the PIN number to activate the navigation system. This is a one time use only code. The price is 241.00 dollars.

The best recommendation may be that you see your local dealer as they will have the SD data cards for use on your vehicle. You should then only have to purchase the PIN number and labor to download. If you want to update the nav system yourself both the SD card and PIN number are available for purchase. It is important that you are able to activate the PIN number through Audi Germany with your scan tool. If you can’t then once the SD card data is loaded but not activated your navigation is unusable.

I should also include that this update fixes the bug that previously didn't allow hyphens or other punctuation in an address. Addresses such as 27-80 or St. Peters rd should now work with this new update.

Maybe the AudiOfAmerica guy that was researching for me might read Audizine to find out ?

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 11-18-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone confirm this? What version is it?

My Q5 is scheduled to arrive 12/26 and will want to make sure I have the latest nav before driving off the lot.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
The first part number is for the SD card. This card erases all old system data. The card also contains the map data and software update information. Consider this a tool that you only need to buy one time. With this you can update an infinite number of cars. Once used your navigation system will not be functional until the system is activated with the PIN number. The price for this is 280.50 dollars.

The second part number is for the PIN number to activate the navigation system. This is a one time use only code. The price is 241.00 dollars.
Wow, just like other auto manufacturers (my ML550 map update would be $240 for a one time update) they don't seem to understand the GPS market today... I would strongly suggest that before you spend $241 on a one time update for your Nav you investigate the Garmin options. Yes, it is a separate thing, but you can move it to another vehicle (on vacation, for example), and for that amount you can get any one of a number of excellent Garmins that have lifetime map updates (never have to pay for an update again). So instead of paying for one update every year (assuming Audi and Navteq actually SHIP an update), you get multiple updates every year for the life of your Garmin.

Not to mention the fact that the Garmin touch screen interface is (in my opinion) far superior to most vehicle systems...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, the Garmin 1450 with 5 inch touch screen and lifetime maps and traffic subscription is on Amazon for $129.

Sorry, but the 'annual update' for $240 for a vehicle system does not seem to me to be a wise choice for navigation.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tomb01
So, the Garmin 1450 with 5 inch touch screen and lifetime maps and traffic subscription is on Amazon for $129.

Sorry, but the 'annual update' for $240 for a vehicle system does not seem to me to be a wise choice for navigation.
Oh, just to clarify, 'lifetime maps' means you get ALL map updates in the future for free. They typically update them (navteq, the source for the data) multiple times per year, though I have never seen it more than 4 times in a single year.

So if you are considering buying the 'single' map update for your Q5 (assuming they ever RELEASE one) for $240, it would likely be a much better choice to just buy a Garmin. For that matter, you could buy a new Garmin every year for the price of the once per year map update for the in vehicle system. Crazy....
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3 garmins so I know of what you speak....

Am considering class action suit against audi for misrepresenting the $3000 nav as being up to date....
Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was a bit surprised with the map data in my new Q5. I just picked mine up two weeks ago. I drove down a new bridge in a large town in Montana that recently (within the last two years) been put in. It seemed to be in the map database. It didn't show me driving off road.

Later on during my trip it did direct me to gas stations and coffee shops that no longer existed though.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tosten
I was a bit surprised with the map data in my new Q5. I just picked mine up two weeks ago. I drove down a new bridge in a large town in Montana that recently (within the last two years) been put in. It seemed to be in the map database. It didn't show me driving off road.

Later on during my trip it did direct me to gas stations and coffee shops that no longer existed though.
Even an up to date Garmin (with the absolute latest maps) will still be quite a bit behind the real terrain. It takes a while (months) for the national mapping service to update their database, and Navteq takes that update and spends months updating their database and maps, so it is unlikely you would ever see maps that are absolutely accurate/current. At a minimum the maps are going to be 9 months out of date, and most systems are more than a year out of date, often as much as 2 years. Given that the actual roads do not change rapidly (well, that's relative) it is the 'points of interest' (like Starbucks) that are most annoying. I have found myself driving past one on the way to the 'closest' one in the Garmin database... Sigh.