Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Q5 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Q5 Owner

I just picked up a 2010 S-Line Q5 Premium Plus for about 45k in black. Wife and I went to service the 2010 A4 for its first oil change.. and... WTF happened.. ?? Wife wanted an SUV.. So we traded in the A4.

Anyways, driving the Q5 makes me feel on top of the world! Only one regret.. No more rally driving in the snow with the A4.
After the left over snow + slush after our DC blizzard, I immediately felt the difference with driving the A4 and the Q5.
I already experienced the slipping and sliding, plus lack of braking in snow due to the high center of gravity.

I do miss the (base)A4, less rally driving, more adult driving now.

Couple questions, how is the residual value of the Q5?
Also, do these Q5's sell out quick like the dealer said?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What tires on A4 and Q5? Roof rack on or off? Did you try ESP button settings? IE on, off, hold off.
Q5 is Audi's second best seller in US... #1 being A4
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, its not so much the high center of gravity but the tires, the S-line comes with summer tires from the factory.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I find my Q5 handles just about as good as my A4 did in the snow, surprizingly so, however good tires and ESP make all the difference. The real advantage to the Q5 in driving in snow is the ground clearance. My A4 got stuck on an unplowed road beacause thick, packed snow litteraly lifted the car off its wheels, where with the Q5 it's unlikely to be an issue.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrV
I find my Q5 handles just about as good as my A4 did in the snow, surprizingly so, however good tires and ESP make all the difference. The real advantage to the Q5 in driving in snow is the ground clearance. My A4 got stuck on an unplowed road beacause thick, packed snow litteraly lifted the car off its wheels, where with the Q5 it's unlikely to be an issue.
What ESP setting are you using? ON I assume.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by yob2kanobe
ESP can be on or off and there is also a roof rack mode which kicks in the ESP sooner.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by yob2kanobe
"on" for safety, "off" when playing
I tried hard acceleration, cornering and spinning out with ESP "on" and was impressed with how it compensates!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't realize that the S-line came with summer tires, gee that makes more sense why my previous A4 handles better.

I always drive with the Traction control on, I figured that since it slipped so much, leave it on.
Funny, the dealership was the first place I ever seen the Q5. Do you guys see them out on the road often?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Day Laborer
I didn't realize that the S-line came with summer tires, gee that makes more sense why my previous A4 handles better.

I always drive with the Traction control on, I figured that since it slipped so much, leave it on.
Funny, the dealership was the first place I ever seen the Q5. Do you guys see them out on the road often?
The Q5 S-line either come with oem Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport or Michelin Latitude Sport, both are terrible in the snow. I would definitely get some snow tires.
There are very few Q5 on the road where I am. but I am starting to see more and more. In fact, I am starting to see more Audi than BMW here in the Northeast, maybe its because of the quattro.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Day Laborer
Dealer was the first place I saw one too. Since then I've only seen one other and only a handful of Q7s. I wouldn't have even known about the Q5 'cept for an article I was sent by a friend.

Quick Reply: New Q5 Owner