Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Q5 Owner - Overwhelmed with a protective addons

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Q5 Owner - Overwhelmed with a protective addons

Just picked up my Q5 Premium Plus 2.0T yesterday (first time Audi owner - came from Saab).

Dealer was recommending a few products which I was a bit leery about... one was a clear bra (3M product) and the other was some interior conditioner/protectant... Lux something or other (can't remember off the top of my head... little sleep and caffeine at the moment).

Reading up on clear bra and there seems to be lots of various products... any advice? Worth it, or not worth it? I tend to drive vehicles into the ground (typically over 200K) before getting a new one. If it is worth it... do people typically get it from the dealer or go somewhere else (ie is it typically cheaper with better options else where?) How much of the hood gets covered? They were talking about the first 18 inches.

Q5 will be driven in snow country... dealer was really talking up the clear bra due to the Mag Chloride that gets dumped on the roads here.

As far as the interior protectant?

This is probably another discussion, but also looking for general advice on tow hitches (any model numbers/products to look for) and speaker upgrades (did not do the B&O upgrade).

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the clear bra treatment, as it will protect the front paint from dings. Skip the interior treatment unless you've got very messy passengers (like kids).
Old 02-19-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
Do the clear bra treatment, as it will protect the front paint from dings. Skip the interior treatment unless you've got very messy passengers (like kids).
Or dogs! : - )
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

You might want to price out 3M or VentureShield with an independent. Find out who does higher end vehicles and head that direction. I use the same installer that does it for the Audi dealer and it saves me 50%. Walk away from any other "protection" options.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new SQ! I test drove one a few weeks ago. I want one, but I don't kow if I can part with that much money.
+1 on the Clear Bra. I've had it for 14 years on my A4 and 7 years on my A8. I'd do as much of the front fascia as possible, the front of the hood, the rockers and maybe the lower part of the doors. You may want to consider the backs of the mirrors, behind the door handles and headlights. Not just for stone chips, This stuff also helps when you want to get bugs off of the front. You can scrub it, without damaging the paint.
3M also now has a DIY spray on paint protection product. It's advertised as a 1 year life. I'm not sure if it will last longer or not.
***Disclaimer - I work for 3M, but am not involved with sales or these product in any way, other than being a consumer.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The local dealer typically applies 18" on bottom of hood, A pillars, under door handles, around front fenders, and headlights... think it's around $750ish...

Not sure if that's reasonable or not... Looks like I should call around.

Any recommendations on type of clear bra type product?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djdube525
The local dealer typically applies 18" on bottom of hood, A pillars, under door handles, around front fenders, and headlights... think it's around $750ish...

Not sure if that's reasonable or not... Looks like I should call around.

Any recommendations on type of clear bra type product?
$750 for the coverage you describe is pretty reasonable, particularly if it involves a quality product like 3M.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Although it costs more, nothing beats Xpel Ultimate film due to it's built-in clearcoat and self-healing properties. Do a global forums search - lots of discussions on it. Also agree you should have it done by a reputable indy shop - the dealer will almost always be more expensive and they usually farm it out anyway. Pass on the rest.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Dave-
I did the 3M bra but went directly to the local 3M authorized "premier" installer. You can find 3M installers from 3M's web site. (Oddly enough, the dealer didn't offer me the bra, even though they've used the same installer!) They're more likely to make a deal. The normal kit just covers the front of the hood, I left it that way. For the price of the install you could probably have the nose repainted twice or if you're going to drive it into the ground, just buy the touchup sticks. I just wanted the easy way to keep it up, too many chips on the last car.

On the interior, yeah, since the 80's the car business has often made more money on the "aftersales" department than on the car itself. For $800 I could have gotten the magic leather treatment, I think I spent $50 on ScotchGard and coated the carpets and trunk, and another $20 for Lexol or ArmorAll's leather care product. I don't plan to spill ink and motor oil on the seats and if I tear them...I'll find a repair shop, same way the dealer will. For $800 or whatever it was...I'm not hauling barb wire around in the back seat, either.

I would have ScotchGarded the leather too, but they don't make a product for leather upholstery, go figure. I know from my last car that a good dose of that stuff really keeps fabrics easy to clean for years.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another recommendation on the clear bra, and on getting it done somewhere else besides the dealer.

Quick Reply: New Q5 Owner - Overwhelmed with a protective addons