Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New SQ5 coming/spacers and springs first mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New SQ5 coming/spacers and springs first mods

Will take delivery of my 2016 SQ5 on May 26th. Daytona Gray with black/jet diamond stitching, 21" sport wheels, black optic package, tech pkg and red brake calipers. Want to do wheel spacers and springs as first mod. Set on H&R and still deciding on spacers with the OEM 21" wheels. Rears for sure at 20mm but unsure about front...12.5, 15 or 20mm. Saw pics and post for Jesse Rohr's awesome Sepang Blue SQ5 and has 20mm all around which looks flush. Flush is look I'm going for. Any input from fellow SQ5 owners?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

why add spacers?
other than personal looks, what does it do to the car performance or handling wise?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
why add spacers?
other than personal looks, what does it do to the car performance or handling wise?
I think it's just looks. Same thing with carbon parts or swapping out the grille. Just because there isn't a performance benefit doesn't mean he shouldn't do it if that's the look he likes.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackAce
I think it's just looks. Same thing with carbon parts or swapping out the grille. Just because there isn't a performance benefit doesn't mean he shouldn't do it if that's the look he likes.
Local speed shop guy told me spacers and significantly altered offsets put stress on suspension components, advised against them. Is he correct?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
why add spacers?
Never understood this either.

Only the people who installed spacers can tell the cosmetic difference.

To each on its own I guess. I also would not take the suspension apart on a brand new car either.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
Will take delivery of my 2016 SQ5 on May 26th. Daytona Gray with black/jet diamond stitching, 21" sport wheels, black optic package, tech pkg and red brake calipers. Want to do wheel spacers and springs as first mod. Set on H&R and still deciding on spacers with the OEM 21" wheels. Rears for sure at 20mm but unsure about front...12.5, 15 or 20mm. Saw pics and post for Jesse Rohr's awesome Sepang Blue SQ5 and has 20mm all around which looks flush. Flush is look I'm going for. Any input from fellow SQ5 owners?
I've never seen an S/Q5 that didn't have a significant tuck on the stock rears compared to the fronts. It's a real irritant/design flaw IMO... Anyway, based on quite a bit of collective info both here on AW and also AZ, it seems like a 12.5 front and 20mm back is the consensus "flush" setup with all else being stock. That's the way mine measured out as well

Not to say you won't find guys running 10/20 or 15/20 setups, but I do think 20/20 will have the fronts hanging out quite a bit.

If you're doing springs right away, why not wait until that's done, align it and and measure? The rest will be just a somewhat educated guess

Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTG
Never understood this either.

Only the people who installed spacers can tell the cosmetic difference.

To each on its own I guess. I also would not take the suspension apart on a brand new car either.
The suspension make a lot of sense. Audi designed the Q to be lower and North America raised it to meet light truck specs. It looks and handles much better when you lower it.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
Majority went with 12.5 front and 20mm back for flush. I went with 10mm/15mm myself for right inside the fender.
If you are looking for those who like to mod their Q's you should hang out in the Audizine forums.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with BlackSVT that you might want to wait until you've got the springs on first. If you want as close to flush as possible, it's going to depend a bit on the amount of negative camber in your alignment afterwards.

And as for spacers being bad, they do create additional stress on your suspension components, but so do lower offset wheels.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for all the input. Still will decide if I want to do springs or just the spacers for a "clean and flush" look with the wheels.

Quick Reply: New SQ5 coming/spacers and springs first mods