Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Newbie Question about Advanced Key and Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5White13
Did you ask this to the dealer ?
Just thought of understanding it a bit more before going to the dealer and possibly have them feed me some bs :P
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

On my US 2013 2.0T with advanced key (no Start/Stop), you can leave the car running and get our with the key and it keeps running. As mentioned, it will beep at you to remind you, but will continue running even if key is out with out.

However, I do not know how long it keeps running, and if it would let you change out of park.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Canada with a 2013 3.0T also. I have the exact same problem as you've described. My stop/start is set to off also. Love to know if you figure out an answer!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducay
On my US 2013 2.0T with advanced key (no Start/Stop), you can leave the car running and get our with the key and it keeps running. As mentioned, it will beep at you to remind you, but will continue running even if key is out with out.

However, I do not know how long it keeps running, and if it would let you change out of park.
the car can be driven without the remote if the car was still on. Once the car is turned off without the remote, you will not be able to turn it on. this happen to me when i forgot my key at home and my gf had the spare on her. as i drove away im like sheit i dont have the keys so i stopped and asked her for the remote lol
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rambo1
I'm in Canada with a 2013 3.0T also. I have the exact same problem as you've described. My stop/start is set to off also. Love to know if you figure out an answer!
well at least i'm not alone and you are not alone lol
Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine does the opposite. I have a US 2013 3.0t with stop/start enabled. When I get out of the car with it running, it stays ON. I actually would prefer it to turn off like yours does, but instead it stays on and beeps at me like the 2.0t's with advanced key. Maybe it would work differently if I came to a stop and waited a second for the stop/start system to turn the engine off first, before I throw it into park. But as it is, every night when I go home and get out of my car to get the mail, the engine stays running.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Solomente
Mine does the opposite. I have a US 2013 3.0t with stop/start enabled. When I get out of the car with it running, it stays ON. I actually would prefer it to turn off like yours does, but instead it stays on and beeps at me like the 2.0t's with advanced key. Maybe it would work differently if I came to a stop and waited a second for the stop/start system to turn the engine off first, before I throw it into park. But as it is, every night when I go home and get out of my car to get the mail, the engine stays running.
I'd check with the dealer on that one, with start/stop the engine should turn off anytime you're on the brake and not moving (at least, from what I've read on the feature). It's supposed to be quick to turn off (though does have a slight delay just to make sure you're not making a quick stop then immediately going again), so I'd certainly expect it should be turning off by the time you reach over to throw it in P.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inzite
well at least i'm not alone and you are not alone lol
As many of us Canucks in the habit of pre-warming our cars, or letting them run while we scrap the ice, I'm surprised there isn't a Canadian with a remedy(?)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for stop/start system, this is what Audi explains from US website.

The start-stop function only works when

- the driver’s door and the bonnet are closed
- the driver is wearing a seat belt
- the vehicle has been driven at faster than 4 km/h before stopping the vehicle is not pulling a trailer

In some cases the engine will not be switched off, for instance when

- the engine temperature is still too low
- the difference between the interior temperature and the temperature selected via the air conditioning system is still too great
- the outside temperature is very high or very low
- the windscreen is being de-iced
- the optional parking aid or the optional park assist is activated
- the battery charge is too low
- the steering wheel is at a sharp angle or is being turned
- reverse gear is engaged
- the road is steep

The engine is started automatically by the system when

- the vehicle rolls forward
- the windscreen is being de-iced
- there is a large difference between the interior temperature and the temperature selected via the air conditioning system
- the brake pedal has been depressed several times in succession
- the battery charge is too low
- power consumption is too high

This tells me that stop/start system has nothing to do with why engine turns off when the key leaves the car while the car engine is turned on in the Canadian version of Audi Q5.

I drive Audi Q5 3.0T US version and I haven't noticed that feature. It beeps to remind me but that's it.