Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfpearson
i'm not sure there's anywhere specific that i want to see... i suppose the test would be to navigate from your house to somewhere in st. louis that requires you to be on I-64/40 - and see if it actually takes you on that highway.

the highway is definitely there on my nav - it just thinks it's closed, so it won't take me on it for any route i try to program in.

maybe try to navigate to the arch, or busch stadium and see what it tells you?
I too live in the St. Louis area. I have a 2012 3.2 Premium plus Navi that I took delivery in October 2011, and I've used the NAV in the St. Louis area multiple times involving the 64/40 highway without any problems. I am sorry I don't have the revision of software loaded on my Q5 at this time, but will post it once my wife gets home.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone with the new version of the maps noticed an improvement as far as the navigation not telling me to 'stay on 95' every 4 miles...?

I had posted about this once before where, on a stretch of almost 100 miles on I-95 the stupid navigation has it in increments of 4, 5 or 6 miles.

Essentially, every time there's an exit (not a major split in road, just a regular exit), the navigation tells me 'in 1 mile stay left on 95', 'now keep left on 95', 'continue for 5 miles on 95', repeat, etc...

Whereas my Garmin or any navigation app on my phone correctly says to stay on 95 for 100 miles.

The Audi nav makes it very annoying in that I have no sense of how long I'm truly supposed to be on 95. The MMI screen just shows a list of turns every 5 miles, yet it's always to just stay on 95...

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by john1r
Has anyone with the new version of the maps noticed an improvement as far as the navigation not telling me to 'stay on 95' every 4 miles...?

I had posted about this once before where, on a stretch of almost 100 miles on I-95 the stupid navigation has it in increments of 4, 5 or 6 miles.

Essentially, every time there's an exit (not a major split in road, just a regular exit), the navigation tells me 'in 1 mile stay left on 95', 'now keep left on 95', 'continue for 5 miles on 95', repeat, etc...

Whereas my Garmin or any navigation app on my phone correctly says to stay on 95 for 100 miles.

The Audi nav makes it very annoying in that I have no sense of how long I'm truly supposed to be on 95. The MMI screen just shows a list of turns every 5 miles, yet it's always to just stay on 95...

Thanks.
That's strange... I just took a road trip from St. Louis to Madison, WI, where I was on stretches of highway for a long time, and my navi didn't do that. It only told me to stay on the current highway when there was a major split, as you mentioned.

Only real problem I have is the one in my post below - and I don't want to pay $350+ just to get access to one highway. A major intersection near my subdivision was just completely changed/redone, and I'm guessing the latest software version won't account for that... So it's pointless.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mfpearson
That's strange... I just took a road trip from St. Louis to Madison, WI, where I was on stretches of highway for a long time, and my navi didn't do that. It only told me to stay on the current highway when there was a major split, as you mentioned.

Only real problem I have is the one in my post below - and I don't want to pay $350+ just to get access to one highway. A major intersection near my subdivision was just completely changed/redone, and I'm guessing the latest software version won't account for that... So it's pointless.
I find that most places I travel in the northeast, particularly when i'm heading south from NYC area through NJ, it does this all the time. Not as bad in CT, but really bad in NJ, DE, MD, etc...
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I filed an online complaint with Audi Canada a couple days ago as my 2012 Nav (ver 5.5.5) doesn't have all highways in my area. Yesterday they call me and also again today as a follow up. Here the scoop, according to Audi the manufacturing releases for its production model of the year in question its map and that is done on Week 22 (end of May). So my12 which was manufactured in March this year has map updates from May of 2011. So I told them, even then I'm still missing a major highway which was opened 2 years ago. So they said that NavTeq do the map updates. They (Audi) gave me a toll free number to call NavTeq to check with them about map accuracy. Go figure!

Anyway, I will call them tomorrow to see what they have to say.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same old song and dance... actually with a new twist...
if they release it each year as they say, why are some 2009 (and my 2011) q's just getting the first update ?!?

navteq updates maps for MANY companies, including Garmin...
I have had EIGHT quarterly updates from Navteq for my garmins and ONE from Audi over 12 months after I filed a BBB complaint....

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 10-23-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

My multiple communications with Navteq were completely insane.
Did you get movement forward after filing with the BBB? How did you plead your case with the BBB. What was your approach?

Tks
Dave
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Navteq is not the culprit here - they are only an interested third party... they cannot update Audi maps, Audi has to...

I had already called AoA within weeks of buying the Q and complained about the out of date maps - AoA gave me a claim # and said they would update maps for free.
(but of course the map update was not available when they promised and was not provided for over a year!)

The BBB at least got AoA's attention when I complained about the misrepresentation of the up to date navigation system...

AoA responded within a week to BBB and said it was being addressed and I would have a resolution shortly....
(that was Spring 2011 and I just got the map update this fall)

granted - navigation is not a life threatening safety issue - just an irritant
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh yes, I'm aware that Navteq is not the culprit here. My email trail between AoA and Navteq was into the twentys or so. My communication with Navteq was to find out the production date of my version and the age of the data used in that version so I could relay that to AoA( navteq were like dealing with a bunch of teenagers jacked up on redbull with I-phones in their hands). I got tonnes of phone calls but never anything resolved for my version. I gave up which I usually don't (an irritant, oh yes) and I never got an update for free or purchased. I don't even know if there is one for my version as I quite the battle.
My version is still as purchased
(8R0060884F_NAR 5.3.4) has there been and update ???

Tks
Dave
I still can't get over the support one gets with a 150$ garmin versus the Audi monstrosity

Last edited by flybooey; 10-24-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

The nav and the power steering whine in the 2.0t is why I traded for a 2013 A6. I do not think Audi will support the old style 2012,11,10 etc. as the technology changed. It is not right, But they have done nothing to remedy it to date and the new audi models have the new system. It is terrible to have a 2012 model, as I did and have maps that are three years old or older!

Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...