Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Offer from dealer for my 2014 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offer from dealer for my 2014 TDI

Just received a letter from my local Audi dealer offering me a trade-in on my 2014 Q5 TDI (Premium Plus) towards a new 2016 3.0T.

Besides the fact that I don't want a non-diesel Q5 (I bought the TDI for its great mileage), their offer seems pretty weak. They would give me "up to" $26,268 on my trade-in, plus another $2,500 off the sticker price of the new car.

I know the caveats about online used car valuation, but some reputable sites (such as NADA) suggest that my car (which has 40k miles) has a trade-in value in the range from slightly over $33k to almost $37k, and a clean retail value of around $40k. That's in keeping with advertised prices for some used TDIs online.

Now maybe Audi is telling me implicitly that in the real marketplace, TDIs have lost additional value -- but if so, my view is that they should make us whole.

I'm interested whether others on this forum have received similar letters, meaning this is a national program, or whether this is something the local dealer put together.

Maybe if the dealer sweetened the deal by about $6 or 7k, I might consider trading in for something like the new A3 e-tron. Not holding my breath.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 and 2015 Q5 and both are TDIs.

Haven't received anything....just curious where are located?

V/r
Dan
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst time in the world to sell.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

These kinds of letters are sent out periodically by all manufacturers to generate new car sales and bolster used car sales. Don't take it personally, and I highly doubt you were targeted just because you have a TDI.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
These kinds of letters are sent out periodically by all manufacturers to generate new car sales and bolster used car sales. Don't take it personally, and I highly doubt you were targeted just because you have a TDI.
I've received this type of mailing on various brands that I've owned. If fact, I still get them now and then for cars that I no longer own, and haven't for some time.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I've received this type of mailing on various brands that I've owned. If fact, I still get them now and then for cars that I no longer own, and haven't for some time.
Ditto. For years after...
Old 02-17-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In response to Dan -- I'm located in suburban Connecticut. The letter was from Danbury Audi.

In response to the others -- I too have gotten letters in the past from dealers trying to entice me to trade in for new, but none of them has ever offered me a specific price for my trade-in. Also, no letter I have gotten in the past has limited the offer to a specific new vehicle.

Here, they are only talking about swapping my TDI for a similarly optioned new Q5 without the diesel engine. That -- plus the pricing specificity -- makes me think this is aimed at the TDI issue. Also, they are describing the $2500 offered discount as being comprised of a $500 "Audi Owner Loyalty Bonus" and a $2000 "Danbury Audi Preferred Customer Bonus." Sounds like a mix of (part of) the Audi compensation package and their own attempt to keep their customers.

I agree with the comment that it's not a good time to sell. The marketplace doesn't know precisely what the fix will be, we don't know if there will be effective lawsuits for value diminishment, etc. All of which makes me not appreciate this dealer's trying to take advantage of that uncertainty by lowballing me on the offered trade-in. At least that's how it appear to me. I suppose the dealer's response might be not to blame them for an issue that Audi created, and that they're just trying to make it easier for me to get out of my diesel at what they would describe as a realistic price.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, they are playing off your old car. You are taking this too personally. Ironically, look what I got in the main today, from the dealer I bought the car from, with a specific trade-in on a limited number of cars for sale (my car is no longer made).

Name:  20160217_171852.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  3.49 MB
Old 02-17-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't think I'm taking it personally -- the letter I got is a form letter that doubtless went out to a lot of this dealer's customers. I'm just curious whether others on this forum are getting lowball offers from Audi dealers specifically for their TDIs. Some might think it inappropriate if Audi dealers in particular were taking any advantage of the pricing uncertainty that has been thrust upon TDI owners, under the guise of rewarding them for being "preferred customers."
Old 02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotsman58
In response to Dan -- I'm located in suburban Connecticut. The letter was from Danbury Audi.

In response to the others -- I too have gotten letters in the past from dealers trying to entice me to trade in for new, but none of them has ever offered me a specific price for my trade-in. Also, no letter I have gotten in the past has limited the offer to a specific new vehicle.

Here, they are only talking about swapping my TDI for a similarly optioned new Q5 without the diesel engine. That -- plus the pricing specificity -- makes me think this is aimed at the TDI issue. Also, they are describing the $2500 offered discount as being comprised of a $500 "Audi Owner Loyalty Bonus" and a $2000 "Danbury Audi Preferred Customer Bonus." Sounds like a mix of (part of) the Audi compensation package and their own attempt to keep their customers.

I agree with the comment that it's not a good time to sell. The marketplace doesn't know precisely what the fix will be, we don't know if there will be effective lawsuits for value diminishment, etc. All of which makes me not appreciate this dealer's trying to take advantage of that uncertainty by lowballing me on the offered trade-in. At least that's how it appear to me. I suppose the dealer's response might be not to blame them for an issue that Audi created, and that they're just trying to make it easier for me to get out of my diesel at what they would describe as a realistic price.
That trade price is an insult and they are obviously taking advantage of the current debacle. I can assure you they would not offer the trade if they weren't going to make a boatload of money on the back end. These guys are not doing you any favors.