Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Oil Analysis - 2011 Q5 2.0TFSI - Castrol SLX Prof. LL03 5W30

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrowne1

The reason I chose to use the Castrol product is because it is sold by VW/Audi dealers and its labeling is such that denying warranty would be even harder (see above).
I hope you'll keep a close eye on things, watching for the build-up to occur. Not sure if you'll be able to detect it without removing the valve cover.

I trust you'll report back one way or the other. Thx.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezveedub
504 is used in EU, not the US and it's not approved for gas engines in the US, only 502.00, so what the argument?
I'm not sure how much of an "argument" I can have, at least in the intelligent sense of that word, with someone who thinks 504 is a diesel spec, thinks it's OK to run conventional oils in VAG engines but then didactically lectures others about using only 502 oils, and then doesn't appear to acknowledge the very good reasons why 504 oils might beneficial and safe on a fixed 5K mile interval in current DI engine.

The EU cars use the oil quality sensor, something the US cars don't. When the 504 oil needs to be changed, it will warn you in a EU car. Since the US cars are on time and mileage intervals, the oil quality sensor system is not enabled. VW 502.00 oil doesn't work with the oil quality sensor. Most 504 oils are both 504/507 spec and are low ash content oils. In the US, it's used for the clean diesels only, since it will not damage the DPF.
Which is probably why I'm running a fixed interval. I already stated why 504 oils are not listed in the manual, and it's because of fuel quality concerns. That said, if you actually call AoA they will tell you that you can use a 504 oil in our cars:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2005103&page=6

Only VAG engine that died from conventional oil was the 1.8T and that's because they never pushed the 502 spec oil in the US when it was first introduced.
Yeah, OK. Try that in a B5 S4, R8 or a B8 S4 (among others) and let me know how it works out for you.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how much of an "argument" I can have, at least in the intelligent sense of that word, with someone who thinks 504 is a diesel spec, thinks it's OK to run conventional oils in VAG engines but then didactically lectures others about using only 502 oils, and then doesn't appear to acknowledge the very good reasons why 504 oils might beneficial and safe on a fixed 5K mile interval in current DI engine.

Which is probably why I'm running a fixed interval. I already stated why 504 oils are not listed in the manual, and it's because of fuel quality concerns. That said, if you actually call AoA they will tell you that you can use a 504 oil in our cars:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2005103&page=6

Yeah, OK. Try that in a B5 S4, R8 or a B8 S4 (among others) and let me know how it works out for you.
Not sure who told you 504.00 spec oil was OK from AoA. If so, I sure would like to know WHO IT IS, as they might want to correct that statement if they did.

My Allroad 2.7T has 143K miles and has never been a full synthetic oil engine, yet, it has not leaks or issues with the engine or turbos.

As for oil specs, my argument is this. Everyone thinks that because there's a new spec oil, its better. This is not the case. 504/507 oils are for emission requirements in Europe, that's all. In the US, its the same. It's used to protect the emission components. If you think the higher number spec oils are better, than why does the new R8 GT use Shell Helix Racing 10w60 oil that's 501/505 spec oil? Seems like the 502.00 and 505.01 oils would better since they are newer oil specs, but they are NOT specified for this car.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure who told you 504.00 spec oil was OK from AoA. If so, I sure would like to know WHO IT IS, as they might want to correct that statement if they did.
Or maybe they're right. I don't suppose you considered that, did you?

As for oil specs, my argument is this. Everyone thinks that because there's a new spec oil, its better. This is not the case.
That's nice. "New and better" isn't my argument for using it in the first place. Vastly reduced intake deposits is the argument, as supported by the Lubrizol paper that I linked. Did you bother to look at that, or are you just going to keep throwing out generic, strawman nonsense?

504/507 oils are for emission requirements in Europe, that's all.
They're designed to do a number of things. Apparently you just don't know that.

If you think the higher number spec oils are better
I never said that. You are putting words in my mouth. For the last goddamn time, that is not why I'm using a 504 oil. Go read the Lubrizol paper in my original post that explains the advantages in reducing deposits in gasoline engines by using a Euro IV oils. Then come back it you want to have a real discussion.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Or maybe they're right. I don't suppose you considered that, did you?

That's nice. "New and better" isn't my argument for using it in the first place. Vastly reduced intake deposits is the argument, as supported by the Lubrizol paper that I linked. Did you bother to look at that, or are you just going to keep throwing out generic, strawman nonsense?

They're designed to do a number of things. Apparently you just don't know that.

I never said that. You are putting words in my mouth. For the last goddamn time, that is not why I'm using a 504 oil. Go read the Lubrizol paper in my original post that explains the advantages in reducing deposits in gasoline engines by using a Euro IV oils. Then come back it you want to have a real discussion.
Good luck with the 504 oil and deposits. Like I said, it's not approved for use in the US and AoA does not list it for use in the gasoline cars here. I don't need to have a discussion with you, I'm just trying to stop you from telling people to use non-approved oil for cars IF they want to keep their warranty.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck with the 504 oil and deposits. Like I said, it's not approved for use in the US and AoA does not list it for use in the gasoline cars here. I don't need to have a discussion with you, I'm just trying to stop you from telling people to use non-approved oil for cars IF they want to keep their warranty.
1. Where did I tell anyone to use it?

2. What exactly makes you think using a 504 oil that is sold by dealers and says "specifically developed for use in 2007+ VW and Audi engines" is going to vaporize a warranty?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1. Where did I tell anyone to use it?

2. What exactly makes you think using a 504 oil that is sold by dealers and says "specifically developed for use in 2007+ VW and Audi engines" is going to vaporize a warranty?
1)By you creating this thread, your are instigating the use of 504 oil in a Q5 2.0TFSI engine for reduced build up of deposits, coming a a 6 year old document.

2)Clearly in your owners manual it states the oil specification to use (502.00) on your gas engine. Go to page 2 of the attached approved oils list link below, under service, it mentions use of correct oil specification and if not adhered to, damage caused by incorrect oil will not be covered under warranty.

I have also clearly stated all 504 oils listed are 507, hence they are listed by 504/507 on the list, which in the US is only for clean diesel vehicles with DPFs, NOT gasoline engines. US Dealerships have 504/507 BECAUSE, its the only oil you can use in the Audi diesel engines in the US. Oil changes and top offs must stick to the specified oil spec. If you use a non 504/507 oil in a diesel, the DPF will eventually clog up.

Now with that said, can you use 504 oil in your 2.0TFSI engine? Yes. Would you recommend it for cars using E10 grade fuel, no. But, like I said before, if you change oil often, like every 3K-5K miles, you're probably fine.

FYI, the 2.0TFSI engines with 8 speed Automatic ZFs will be E85 FlexFuel engines later this year. I'm sure it will still be 502.00 spec oil. I've haven't actually seen it yet, but its coming.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09..._1997-2012.pdf
Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1)By you creating this thread, your are instigating the use of 504 oil in a Q5 2.0TFSI engine for reduced build up of deposits, coming a a 6 year old document.
So you're a mind reader, in addition to an oil expert?

Do you have any evidence that says the Lubrizol paper is wrong? Do you have any evidence at all?

The purpose of this thread is for intelligent adults to review the information presented and consider whether a 504 oil might be advantageous, not to "instigate" anything.

2)Clearly in your owners manual it states the oil specification to use (502.00) on your gas engine.
Yes, thank you, Captain Obvious. We all know what the manual says. Some of us actually understand why it says that, and even you seem to have a small glowing ember of realization that the manual and AoA generally aren't always an infallible font of wisdom with oil issues - witness the longitudinal 1.8T fiasco that I believe you brought up.

Now with that said, can you use 504 oil in your 2.0TFSI engine? Yes. Would you recommend it for cars using E10 grade fuel, no.
Who is this "you" that you're talking about in the passive voice? What evidence do you have that a 504 oil shouldn't be used in a 2.0TFSI engine? Because I have an oil analysis that says it works fine for 5K miles and a study that says it results in a 40% reduction in intake valve deposits.

You've changed your argument umpteen times, and now you appear to have arrived at "but...but...but...the manual says to use 502.00." You have yet to actually present anything to refute the evidence of advantages regarding deposits, nor to refute the evidence I've presented that a 504 oil performs well on a 5K interval and does not become overly acidic from U.S. E10 fuel in that interval (which is the only cause for concern with 504).

It would really be quite odd for VAG to deny a warranty for using the oil that they use as factory fill in most of their vehicles:

http://translate.google.com/translat...mmen_muss.html

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/exten...tentId=7061123

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/exten...tentId=7061122

Last edited by dbrowne1; 02-19-2012 at 06:21 PM.