Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

OIL Extractor can't get all oil out 2014 q5 3.0T Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL Extractor can't get all oil out 2014 q5 3.0T Gas

Hey yall,

This is for the 2014 audi q5 3.0T v6 engine

Don't know if any one has had this problem. I recently did an oil change with an oil extractor i got from harbor freights for 95 bucks (9 liter size). I warmed the car up prior and let it sit for a few minutes to cool down. I put the tube through the dipstick tube and let it touch the bottom and begin vacuuming out the oil. It only sucked out 5 liters and the manual says it needs 6.8 liters. The vacuum wasn't sucking anymore oil out and the bottom of the dipstick when i put it back in didn't show any more oil either. So where is the rest of the 1.8 liters?

I read somewhere some mercedes need an adapter to the dipstick tube to seal the whole thing so the hose can suck out the remainder of the oil somewhere else in the engine.

Thank you for your input and time.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably in the oil filter and oil lines. Also, a "few minutes" is really not enough time for all of the oil in the engine to drain into the pan. Are you assuming that you had 6.8 liters of oil in the engine when you started or did you actually measure it?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The protocol calls for warm oil and the proper length and diameter plastic tubing. Did you remove the oil fill cap? That is recommended to prevent a vacuum building up against the suction of your extractor. There is some oil left in the filter, but by no means the extra amount you are missing. Did you use a pump extractor or a pneumatic?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magnaangelx
It only sucked out 5 liters and the manual says it needs 6.8 liters.
OK, but how much oil did you actually have in there before you started extraction? Was it really 6.8? Was it 6?

The only way to find out if you got it all out is to pull the drain plug, just this one time.

I read somewhere some mercedes need an adapter to the dipstick tube to seal the whole thing so the hose can suck out the remainder of the oil somewhere else in the engine.
Yes, my wife's '08 C300 4matic was like that. The shape of the oil pan was such that you could not possibly reach the bottom of it with an extraction tube. So that dipstick tube adapter helped get it all out without having to actually insert the extraction tube all the way down. I don't know if Audi's 3.0T is like this.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 02-05-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I have a 2014 SQ5 and I've done 10 extraction oil changes and always get it all out minus the small amount soaked into the filter, so the oil pan is no kind of odd shape. As others said perhaps not 6.8L in there to begin with
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey yall,

I followed all the right procedures to my best of knowledge. i took off oil cap, started the pump and let it suck up about 2 liters before i loosened the oil filter to let the remaining oil out of that. I know i had 6.8 liters of old oil in the engine because two days before,i topped the oil up to the max line through the mmi. i parked on a leveled surface. the vacuum wasn't sucking up anything anymore.

i then replaced the oil filter first. Finally i began pouring in 5 liters of liqui moly into the engine. i poured 98 percent of the bottle before the mmi reached max. So thats what happened. The extractor is a hand pump oil extractor. The tube was slim enough to fit into the dipstick hole, wasn't big enough to fill the whole dipstick hole. Once the tube reached the bottom, i didn't put anymore force into it. Should i have forced it in more?

Again, thank you guys for your input and time. Very much appreciate this.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

Hey yall,

I followed all the right procedures to my best of knowledge. i took off oil cap, started the pump and let it suck up about 2 liters before i loosened the oil filter to let the remaining oil out of that. I know i had 6.8 liters of old oil in the engine because two days before,i topped the oil up to the max line through the mmi. i parked on a leveled surface. the vacuum wasn't sucking up anything anymore.

i then replaced the oil filter first. Finally i began pouring in 5 liters of liqui moly into the engine. i poured 98 percent of the bottle before the mmi reached max. So thats what happened. The extractor is a hand pump oil extractor. The tube was slim enough to fit into the dipstick hole, wasn't big enough to fill the whole dipstick hole. Once the tube reached the bottom, i didn't put anymore force into it. Should i have forced it in more?

Again, thank you guys for your input and time. Very much appreciate this.
Is the tube rigid, or very flexible? If very flexible, then when you hit bottom and keep pushing, it can curve upward and not remove all the oil. If the tube is fairly stiff, wipe it clean and use it as a dip stick, any oil on the tube when withdrawn?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Its not too flexible.its rigid enough where i cant bend it. Prolly cause i was outside at 30 degrees, so the plastic tube is prolly cold. I used my dipstick at the end to see if the bottom touches any oil and i didnt see any. Maybe second time ill use the extractor and then take the drain plug out to see if there is anything left. So if any audi 3.0T users never had this problem with an extractor then i may be doing this wrong. i'll try the mercedes seal next time too if i can use that to suck the remainder of the oil out.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

When it reached what seemed like empty, did you start pulling air, or did the extractor just stop? May be a long shot, but is it possible the extractor tube got suctioned to the bottom of the pan? I've had no issues at all with extraction using a Pela extractor on the 3.0T. Quite the opposite actually...I've done literally hundreds and hundreds of oil changes "back in the day" (HS and college part time gig at an indy place), and I'm starting to feel like extraction does a better job given a warm engine...at least on this car. Between the MMI, dipstick reading, and the Pela volume markings, I'm surprised at just how well everything matches up between what I get out and what should be in the engine.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

Its not too flexible.its rigid enough where i cant bend it. Prolly cause i was outside at 30 degrees, so the plastic tube is prolly cold. I used my dipstick at the end to see if the bottom touches any oil and i didnt see any. Maybe second time ill use the extractor and then take the drain plug out to see if there is anything left. So if any audi 3.0T users never had this problem with an extractor then i may be doing this wrong. i'll try the mercedes seal next time too if i can use that to suck the remainder of the oil out.
I'm not positive about this, but I don't think that the dip stick goes to the bottom of the oil pan. Your extraction tube, bottom out, would be the best dip stick to see if all the oil is removed.

I use oil extraction on my 2.0T, measured the amount of extracted oil, and then removed the drain plug and no more oil came out. Subsequent oil changes by extraction have resulted in the same measured amount of oil removed.
I have a dip stick so I make sure that my oil level before extraction is at my scribe mark on my dip stick, that way when I measure the amount of extracted oil I know that I got it all.
I have no problems using the extraction method, other disagree in using it. The Audi dealers do it by extraction.

Quick Reply: OIL Extractor can't get all oil out 2014 q5 3.0T Gas