Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Oil & service intervals - VW 502 00/VW 504 00

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castrol oil for 2017 Audi Q7 3.0T - Put Simply

I hope I have this right after reading this thread and all of the Castrol spec sheets on line. From what I can find, over the counter Walmart 5W40 Castrol Edge with Titanium Technology meets VW 502.00 and 505.00 specs and those are the specs that Audi recommends for the 3.0T engine. However, the Audi Manual recommends an oil called Castrol Edge Professional which appears to meet the same specs and is advertised on Amazon as the oil that glows under a UV light and retails for about $21.00 for a quart. Is there any material difference between Castrol Edge with Titanium and Castrol Edge Professional that will make a difference for mo Q7? Or is this just a label to get me to come back to my Audi Dealer for oil changes to help him finance his pretty new showroom?T
Old 08-18-2019, 08:47 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanford Beyer
I hope I have this right after reading this thread and all of the Castrol spec sheets on line. From what I can find, over the counter Walmart 5W40 Castrol Edge with Titanium Technology meets VW 502.00 and 505.00 specs and those are the specs that Audi recommends for the 3.0T engine. However, the Audi Manual recommends an oil called Castrol Edge Professional which appears to meet the same specs and is advertised on Amazon as the oil that glows under a UV light and retails for about $21.00 for a quart. Is there any material difference between Castrol Edge with Titanium and Castrol Edge Professional that will make a difference for mo Q7? Or is this just a label to get me to come back to my Audi Dealer for oil changes to help him finance his pretty new showroom?T
Yes there is a difference. Will it make a difference to you? Probably not.
Castrol Edge Professional is the dealer oil.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Try here if you want to get the professional OE for a more reasonable price.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/n0160276kt/
The following users liked this post:
Sanford Beyer (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. If there was a material chemical difference providing an advantage to the car I would insist on the dealer oil. Otherwise, I have some flexibility.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

Owned 3 Audi vehicles, 2 - 3.0, 1 - 2.0 engines. I only used Castrol Edge 5W-40, Euro formula oil (same as the Walmart stuff) bought at Advance Auto. I have hardly burned any oil between oil changes. Maybe 1/2 cup of oil or less.

In the winter and summer I start my engine and let it idle for anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes, especially in the sub winter temperatures to warm up the cabin. Many will say that this a big no-no to do so. Well after about 20 vehicles in my lifetime of driving, and doing this idle warm up session, I have yet to have any engine problems. or oil burners...………...

You really got to do a lot of oil formula research to understand that a lot of the Euro oils are made to produce less particulates, ash, and pollution.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 08-18-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Bob (and to all answers)
this is only our second Audi. We had a 2002 A6 wagon that I loved but after the transmission went and I pumped in $4k, I said goodbye. We just got the Q7 a few months ago - CPO with only 24K on it and it is a jewel. It lived in New Jersey for a couple of years but now it splits time between VA and FL. I doubt if it will ever see snow. We plan to keep it for the next 100k miles and I want to make sure it is maintained properly. I-95 is not a fun place to have a problem. So, I will most likely change oil much more often than Audi recommends but I want to make sure I am using the right stuff.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Bob (and to all answers)
this is only our second Audi. We had a 2002 A6 wagon that I loved but after the transmission went and I pumped in $4k, I said goodbye. We just got the Q7 a few months ago - CPO with only 24K on it and it is a jewel. It lived in New Jersey for a couple of years but now it splits time between VA and FL. I doubt if it will ever see snow. We plan to keep it for the next 100k miles and I want to make sure it is maintained properly. I-95 is not a fun place to have a problem. So, I will most likely change oil much more often than Audi recommends but I want to make sure I am using the right stuff.
I would say that the majority of German vehicles in my area have the oil changed at fast lube places that probably don't even use the Euro spec formulas and I have seen many of them over 100K miles with no issues.

If you use any correctly VW/Audi spec'd 502, etc. oil you should be good to go a long time.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I only see the Professional advertised as 5W30, while the "Titanium" is usually 5W40. Personally I try to shoot for 0W40 (Mobil1) because I fondly remember a night in dawn in Vermont where it literally took most of a minute to watch the oil pressure build, instead of the usual couple of seconds.

But the higher end of the specs (30 or 40) indicate how thick the oil will get at full operating speeds. Typical older engines could almost always run a 30 or 40 depending on climate but some of the new ones need odd things like 0W20, no higher, because the engines are simply made with different machining processes these days. If the SAE ratings on the two are different--go with the rating for your car and climate.

UV dye in the oil could be a mechanic's dream. Used to be you had to add that dye manually to check for oil leaks from the engine. Sounds like VWG is anticipating something.(G)

And then again, Mobil1 can usually be found for $22/5 quarts before rebate, and similar prices for the six packs. If that fancy glowing stuff is going to be five times more expensive...they'd have to fill my LavaLamp before I'd even consider it! Now I'll have to take the UV light down to the car to see what they used last time around. Once in a while I get a "twist my arm" coupon that makes a dealer oil change worth doing.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
I only see the Professional advertised as 5W30, while the "Titanium" is usually 5W40. Personally I try to shoot for 0W40 (Mobil1) because I fondly remember a night in dawn in Vermont where it literally took most of a minute to watch the oil pressure build, instead of the usual couple of seconds.

But the higher end of the specs (30 or 40) indicate how thick the oil will get at full operating speeds. Typical older engines could almost always run a 30 or 40 depending on climate but some of the new ones need odd things like 0W20, no higher, because the engines are simply made with different machining processes these days. If the SAE ratings on the two are different--go with the rating for your car and climate.

UV dye in the oil could be a mechanic's dream. Used to be you had to add that dye manually to check for oil leaks from the engine. Sounds like VWG is anticipating something.(G)

And then again, Mobil1 can usually be found for $22/5 quarts before rebate, and similar prices for the six packs. If that fancy glowing stuff is going to be five times more expensive...they'd have to fill my LavaLamp before I'd even consider it! Now I'll have to take the UV light down to the car to see what they used last time around. Once in a while I get a "twist my arm" coupon that makes a dealer oil change worth doing.

5W-40 is the spec for the Q5 2.0T engine. I was using 0W-20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my 2014 Honda CRV, it was drinking a quart of oil between oil changes (about 15 K miles). Changed to Pennzoil Platinum and it hardly uses any oil at all. So what is the difference? Thus I'm sure Mobil 1 is a very good oil, but my relative who has a HP racing engine machine shop says the Mobil 1 formula has changed in the recent years and just not the same. He steered me to the Pennzoil Platinum.

On oil weights, I ran my 1968, Camaro Z-28, highly modified 302 V8 on a strict diet of single viscosity 50 weight racing oil. It started every day in PA's winters, even below zero! That engine was taken many times daily to 9K rpm redlines and never had a lower end failure.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

@Bob Petruska
I have also changed CR-V 0W-20 Honda original oil to Castrol FST Titanium 0W-30 because of oil consumption. Don't have results yet. My oil changes are every 10,000Km (harsh weather conditions). Looking forward for the oil consumption results. If that is better then I will keep it otherwise I will move to 5W-30. Still acceptable by manufacturer.

In Europe the oil spec for the Q5 2.0T is 5W-30.

Last edited by apoelistas; 08-19-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil & service intervals - VW 502 00/VW 504 00