Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Which oil should i use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Otto Man, I am not sure why you are so convinced that if you should never mix oils synthetic and dino. I have seen a few posts from you to that effect. All the oil literature I read says just the opposite. That they are indeed compatible with all other oils.

SNIP

Google is your answer:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_harm...with_synthetic

"Synthetic and conventional will not "mix" and synthetic creates a barrier on moving parts, that conventional cannot pass. So, too much synthetic, as in a 50/50 blend, will be like running an 8 quart system on 4 quarts, without starving the oil pump. It will break the synthetic oil down quicker... in conclusion: The correct combination will give you no problems and will yield the benefits of both conventional and synthetic. With Engine/Motor Oil, the maximum amount of synthetic recommended is 25%. Foaming will develop if more is used, and the foam will counteract with lubrication. Higher-priced synthetic blends have more synthetic and/or more friction modifiers. Synthetic Blend as mentioned earlier is not as cost efficient as adding your own bottle of full synthetic for every 3 quarts of conventional. Just make sure the weight is the same."

Sooooo, no harm if done correctly, but why????

Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
I don't want to beat this to death but it is very important.

SNIP

The other point worth making is that most of our questions are already answered in the Owners Manual, at AudiUSA.com, under the hood, or from your dealer service department. Don't be afrtaid to look there too.

Now, can someone tell me about this VAG COM (?) cable and why I need one?
Best Regards
Spot on!!
Not sure why we like to believe we know better than the auto manufacturers. Your service department is your friend.

Bottom line, in an emergency you can indeed mix dino and synth provided they are are of the same specs (eg. 0W40, 10w50, etc.) Synth oil is freely available and I do not see why it might be necessary to add dino oil in the typical areas where we use our cars. Not the car for a trans-Africa journey.

So, what is that VAG COM cable thing thou speakest about?

Last edited by dsackman; 11-06-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some more interesting stuff:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

VW / Audi sludge problems
While the the 1.8T engines in Audi A4's, Audi TT, VW Passat, Jetta, Golf, New Bettle, are all very prone to sludge build-up, Audi/VW does not have an extended warranty for them from the factory. The factory warranty is 4 year/50,000 miles but it can be extended if purchased.
Although Audi/VW now has 10,000 mile service intervals, oil changes can be done between "services", and should be done if the vehicle is driven in heavy traffic, offroad, and non-highway use. Also, Audi/ VW will only warrant an engine if the customer has proof of all their oil changes. As of 2004 I belive all 1.8T engines must use synthetic oil.
So if you own one of these sludge-prone engines, what can you do? Obviously, Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) recommends that you use only VW/Audi recommended oil. You should also keep up on your oil changes, making them more frequent if you drive hard or haul a lot of cargo. The most important thing for the VW or Audi owner is this: if the oil light comes on and beeps the high pitch beep that almost everyone ignores, pull over and shut the engine down immediately. Many VAG engines can be saved by this procedure. Have the vehicled towed to a VAG dealer. Their standard procedure is to inspect the cam bearings; if they're not scored, the oil pan will be removed and cleaned out and all the crankcase breather hoses and the oil pickup tube will be replaced. They'll do an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge, and hopefully will also replace the turbo lines. Finally, the turbo will be checked for bearing free-play. The VAG turbos run really hot even with proper oil and coolant supply - that's why you need a good quality synthetic in them.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is literally a ton of stuff on the interenet about this. Too much to post (pages and pages per article). Just Google "can I mix conventional motor oil with synthetic motor oil" I find that it can cause big problems in certain circumstances and you can get away with it if the two oils are compatable.
The bottom line always being "It's not worth chancing it"
What I don't understand is why so many folks "want" to be able to mix the two different oils. Just ask the service department what synthetic they use, and pick up a couple quarts of that, and stick one by the spare, and drive off into the sunset.

ceedblu
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man

What I don't understand is why so many folks "want" to be able to mix the two different oils. Just ask the service department what synthetic they use, and pick up a couple quarts of that, and stick one by the spare, and drive off into the sunset.

ceedblu

Where is the "Easy Button"

You should experience the oil discussions on the motorcycle forums. Too painful to behold )

Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out if the OP meant this to be a serious thread Motorcycle forums? ALL forums. The more hard-core ones won't even allow an oil thread. They're invariably chocked full of feelings and "used such-and-such oil for x years and never had a problem" testimonials. Now there's an sound scientific assessment! Go with what's in the owners manual. The manufacture knows best, and has the most to lose if the wrong oil is used.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 11-06-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman
Spot on!!
Not sure why we like to believe we know better than the auto manufacturers. Your service department is your friend.

Bottom line, in an emergency you can indeed mix dino and synth provided they are are of the same specs (eg. 0W40, 10w50, etc.) Synth oil is freely available and I do not see why it might be necessary to add dino oil in the typical areas where we use our cars. Not the car for a trans-Africa journey.

So, what is that VAG COM cable thing thou speakest about?

I am not advocating mixing dino oil with synthetic. My point is that there is really no harm in doing so except that your oil is now not as good as it would be if 100% synthetic. The VW spec allows non synthetic and says nothing about not mixing it. The links posted are from uncredited wikis and are meaningless. Every bit of oil company literature I read speaks of there oils being compatible with all other oils. I want no one to be alarmed if they added dino oil to there synthetic oil in a pinch.
Not the best plan but not harmful either.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

No No No
There are many pages I have found where it speaks of DAMAGE. Aparently there are some dino oils and some synthetics that are "kryptonite and superman" where by themselves they are fine, mix them and its like sand, they can turn against one another. Either a synthetic OR a dino get so contaminated they develop different characteristics, ie. bad, soft turns to hard. BANG BANG BANG
Go ahead mix em, save $2.98.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Guys! Thanks to those who reply and those who jack this thread!

lol,jk.

Anyway, The car was CPO bought and it's a 3.2 not a turbo.

Thanks to these who post links to where to buy the oils.

I just pick up the mity vac and about to do the first oil change in the Q.

About to update the OEM rotor F/B to Cross drill slotted.
I will post new thread on the D.I.Y.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are a ton of 'Synthetic' oils that are really just blends of synth/dino anyway. Once you start adding dino to synth though, you're basically losing the benefits of your synth till you get your next oil/filter change.

Granted, if the option is your engine seizing or putting dino in, put in the dino (;

Here's a Q/A on it from Popular Mechanics... They mention that there were issues with reg/synth in the early days of synth due to seal swell differences, causing leakage, but state that modern synthetics and dinos mix fine.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...oducts/4213451

Quick Reply: Which oil should i use?