Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Order submitted for Q5 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order submitted for Q5 3.0T

This has been a buying process that started 1-year ago with a commitment to buy an in-stock Q5 3.2 Premium Plus but after 48 hours, my wife and I decided to cancel the transaction and wait until the MY13's were released.

During the period leading up to the eventual order for the Q5 3.0T, we test drove the BMW X3, Volvo XC60 and Ford Escape. From this list, we came very close to ordering the X3. I preferred the styling with the M-sport pkg and she hated the thick steering wheel. Without the package, IMO, the exterior styling was just average at best. I did like the interior and technology (larger nav/info display, heated rear seats and steering wheel, top-view camera, etc.).

The Ford was a consideration based on the value proposition. After 10 minutes into the test drive I knew my wife didn't like it. Most functions are controlled by voice command or the touch screen. She (as I do) prefers buttons for core control. In addition we didn't like the dash layout or seat comfort. This was quickly removed from the list.

Went back to the Audi dealer yesterday and test drove a 3.0T Prestige. It just felt right. This will be my wife's 3rd Audi. Former vehicles include a MY08 Q7 4.2 and MY08 A4 (CPO). The configuration is for a 3.0T Premium Plus, Nav, B&O, Moonlight Blue w/ Pistachio Beige and walnut brown trim. It is scheduled to arrive sometime late May.

If I could submit a request to Audi for two changes in the Q5 it would be to allow for the Sports Pkg with the beige interior and Blind-sport Monitoring as a standalone option (and not upgrade to the prestige model). Not perfect but close enough.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congratulations! I was getting ready to order a 3.0 when my dealer found one nearby with almost exactly what I would order. Taking delivery next week. This one has a hitch, which I would not have ordered, but all else is spot on.

3.0 Monsoon/brown, sport interior, B&O, MMI, and ash.

Hope the time passes quickly for you till May.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
If I could submit a request to Audi for two changes in the Q5 it would be to allow for the Sports Pkg with the beige interior and Blind-sport Monitoring as a standalone option (and not upgrade to the prestige model). Not perfect but close enough.
Here in Canada Audi "Side Assist" (i.e., blind spot monitoring) came with the Premium Plus edition, but you are correct, Side Assist is only available in packages other than standard.

I have to wonder if the packages are the same(?) For example, according to the Audi.ca configurator, there is no 3.0T Prestige edition available here, only only "Standard" and "Premium". When I ordered ours I had selected the "Premium" but came to understand from the dealer it was really the "Premium Plus". So, exactly what is "Premium", "Premium Plus", & "Prestige" is a mystery to me, and Audi doesn't allow me to address the USA website.

If anyone is interested in what Audi.ca refers to as "Premium" and my dealer refers to as "Premium Plus", I have attached the PDF which is the result of the configurator for our Q5 3.0T
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Shaffer Q5 3.0TFSI Premium-2.pdf (375.2 KB, 289 views)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rarewolf
I have to wonder if the packages are the same(?) For example, according to the Audi.ca configurator, there is no 3.0T Prestige edition available here, only only "Standard" and "Premium". When I ordered ours I had selected the "Premium" but came to understand from the dealer it was really the "Premium Plus". So, exactly what is "Premium", "Premium Plus", & "Prestige" is a mystery to me, and Audi doesn't allow me to address the USA website.
Canada Base = US Premium
Canada Premium = US Premium Plus
Canada Premium Plus = US Prestige

There's minor differences due to regional changes, but that's the high-level trim name conversion.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats NH man and ATC69....my 3.0T puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Canada Base = US Premium
Canada Premium = US Premium Plus
Canada Premium Plus = US Prestige

There's minor differences due to regional changes, but that's the high-level trim name conversion.
It's interesting that if you look in the US Order Guide, you will see that there are basically premium and premium plus. A prestige is a $7500 option to PP. Since I am near Seattle, I look at local inventory on nwaudidealers.com. I do not find prestige Q5's listed on there, only P and PP. I test drove a prestige yet that same vehicle shows up as PP.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by john.g
It's interesting that if you look in the US Order Guide, you will see that there are basically premium and premium plus. A prestige is a $7500 option to PP. Since I am near Seattle, I look at local inventory on nwaudidealers.com. I do not find prestige Q5's listed on there, only P and PP. I test drove a prestige yet that same vehicle shows up as PP.
There's a base price per engine then additional charges per trim level upgrade, which do use option codes; the 2.0T base price is for Premium, 3.0T for Premium Plus, 2.0T hybrid for Prestige. Much simpler than having a totally different sheet per engine/trim combination. Sounds like the dealer's site isn't set up quite right if it's showing a Prestige as a Premium Plus, since it's not.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks all and it will be a long 3 months until we take delivery. I really need it to enter a build stage just to secure the 3.0T powertrain. The selection of the 3.0T was my personal request for the refinement and performance. The 2.0T would be fine for the majority of miles the car would see, being my wife's primary vehicle. Just late night she asked the question again "do we really need the 3.0T". Truth be told, need no, want yes.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3.0T is a nice engine. Congratulations.