Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Panorama sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I always do. Even so, I like it dark in the car, don't want to see anything bright over my head. Don't like the look of my daughter's tan A8 interior - too "open"
Seriously, I dont like big sunroof either, but the roof on the Q5 is pretty tinted and the mesh shade does a good enough job. You can always tinted more just some others have done.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Seriously, I dont like big sunroof either, but the roof on the Q5 is pretty tinted and the mesh shade does a good enough job. You can always tinted more just some others have done.
You're a good salesman - sure you don't work for Audi? lol I might give it another chance and go to my dealer this weekend.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G-man hit the g-spot

Tint helps a lot but you will need the darkest 5% tint to get it dark.

I had 5% on ex VW Tiguan and I would get 5% again if I would like to block the sun as much as possible.

Shade does not really block any light as it is mesh and not solid.

Last edited by kleinbus; 11-05-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Shade does not really block any light as it is mesh and not solid.

that's right
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I disgress, I tgink the mesh shade actually blocks most of the light. I have never had a glare with the shade close. We were going to order a Q5 without the sunroof, but it was the same price. Couple that with the 8 week wait time and the lower resale value. We bought on with the sunroof even though we havent use it once in the 3 months since we had it.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi is really missing the boat not offering a conventional sunroof option. I never use the sunroof but my wife uses hers all the time. At least with my A6 and her RX I can just slide shade and not deal with it. The Q5 does not allow this and I really dislike the panorama roof for this reason. As much as we like the Q5 it looks more and more as though we will follow the sheep and buy another RX to keep harmony in the family... mainly because of that damned roof!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LT2BLT2A6
Audi is really missing the boat not offering a conventional sunroof option. I never use the sunroof but my wife uses hers all the time. At least with my A6 and her RX I can just slide shade and not deal with it. The Q5 does not allow this and I really dislike the panorama roof for this reason. As much as we like the Q5 it looks more and more as though we will follow the sheep and buy another RX to keep harmony in the family... mainly because of that damned roof!
Now, thats a 1st, someone not buying car just for a sunroof when a $150 tint job will fix the problem
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Now, thats a 1st, someone not buying car just for a sunroof when a $150 tint job will fix the problem

Dude don't be so hard, you should be a bit more supportive, maybe offer shoulder to cry on

Meanwhile I shut up and go and drive few miles more. mine is just 7 months old and odometer just rolled over 20k...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Dude don't be so hard, you should be a bit more supportive, maybe offer shoulder to cry on

Meanwhile I shut up and go and drive few miles more. mine is just 7 months old and odometer just rolled over 20k...
I am sorry if I am being unsupportive, but I am sure the dealer will throw in a free tint as a condition of purchase if it bothers anybody that much.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, I don't need a shoulder to cry on, I was nicely trying to say the panorama roof is a cheap way out for Audi- you guys have bought the car and have to add your tint, mess with the crappy mesh shade and pretend you are happy. G-Man, why spend $150.00 on tint when cardboard and duct tape would do the same job for a lot less? You have completely missed the point. Why should I buy something I don't like? There are too many alternatives out there, and although common the RX350 is pretty much perfect. Besides, stating an opinion on a Lexus forum would probably not elicit the bitchy replies I have received here! Don't be such haters... lighten up!!!

Quick Reply: Panorama sunroof