Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Parking system and memory seats stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking system and memory seats stopped working

So about 2 months ago the memory seats in our 2009 Q5 stopped working. Then just yesterday, the parking system seems to have stopped working as well. Clicking the parking assist button or putting the vehicle in to reverse does nothing. Are these functions broken? Or is there a way to reset the computer and get these functions working again? Seems odd to just stop working like that!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by statenine
So about 2 months ago the memory seats in our 2009 Q5 stopped working. Then just yesterday, the parking system seems to have stopped working as well. Clicking the parking assist button or putting the vehicle in to reverse does nothing. Are these functions broken? Or is there a way to reset the computer and get these functions working again? Seems odd to just stop working like that!
The best thing you could do its get someone near to you that have Vag-Com and try to see if you have any errors in your car.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by migsan
The best thing you could do its get someone near to you that have Vag-Com and try to see if you have any errors in your car.
IF under warranty, the best thing is to bring it to the dealer, get a 2012 Q5 loaner, and let them fix ther problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2009 Parking Assist and Steering Wheel Controls Fail

Originally Posted by statenine
Clicking the parking assist button or putting the vehicle in to reverse does nothing.
I just bought a 2009 Q5 two days ago , with the same issue with Parking Assist as well Steering Wheel Controls that don't work. Horn and column controls work fine as do my memory seats do work.

I've checked all of the MMI and Park Assist / Camera specific fuses, so I'd start there if you haven't already. I do notice that under the MMI Car Menu, the Audi parking system is grayed out and can not be selected. I'm not sure if that is an indicator to anyone? I don't have access to a VAG-COM... yet.

I knew about the issues going into the deal and negotiated accordingly assuming worst case I'd be visiting the dealer out-of-warranty and best case would be discovering a solution on the interwebs. Regardless, I am elated to have joined the ranks here as I've already logged numerous hours on this site in the past two days!
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default VAG-COM (VCDS) Already Paid for Itself!

Originally Posted by bripsu
I just bought a 2009 Q5 two days ago , with the same issue with Parking Assist as well Steering Wheel Controls that don't work. Horn and column controls work fine as do my memory seats do work.

I've checked all of the MMI and Park Assist / Camera specific fuses, so I'd start there if you haven't already. I do notice that under the MMI Car Menu, the Audi parking system is grayed out and can not be selected. I'm not sure if that is an indicator to anyone? I don't have access to a VAG-COM... yet.

I knew about the issues going into the deal and negotiated accordingly assuming worst case I'd be visiting the dealer out-of-warranty and best case would be discovering a solution on the interwebs. Regardless, I am elated to have joined the ranks here as I've already logged numerous hours on this site in the past two days!
I'm sure many already know this, but the VAG-COM is an invaluable investment.

Parking Assist Module and Backup Camera could not be communicated with. Pulled the Parking Assist Module (8K0-919-475-AA) which was easily accessible behind the passenger cargo 12v accessory panel. Opened the case and several of the components and PCB traces were fried on the power input. $192 later for a new module and 10 mins of installation and coding for my Q5 and voila, problem solved!

Steering Wheel control could not be communicated with, yet horn worked and there were no airbag codes, so I did not have reason to suspect the clock-spring or wiring harness. Pulled the horn cover and removed the left and right steering wheel controls. Opened up the right control module as it connected to the clock-spring and hence had the bus controller. Found a corroded via barrel on the power input right near the connector. Soldered a wire from the connector to the first component on that trace to bypass. A total of 45 minutes and no material cost. Replacement steering wheel controls were $285 online and I'm sure thats the route the dealership would have gone and added their material "handling" and labor.

Interesting enough, both of these fault codes fired within a minute of each other. During which the vehicle was on the dealer lot. I'm suspect that a hot or reverse-polarity jump start attempt may have been the root-cause.

Thanks to this forum and now my experience, I'm a VAG-COM believer! Saved a lot of time and money by knowing exactly where to look.