Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
No design defect by legal definition. Look it up. Please explain and provide us your definion of design defect along with an example.
You can still change your own oil and reset the oil change due indicator. You sure can (no one is claiming every aspect of the vehicle is defective). This is a perfect example of one aspect of the vehicle that is not defective in design.
You can even keep driving with the service due light on. So what. If service has been performed, a light saying that service is due is false, is it not? If the vehicle is displaying a false warning light, that is a defect.
You can override and reset the "service due" indicator yourself with VCDS. No VCDS is in the vehicle nor are there any instructions from Audi regarding acquiring a VCDS in the owner manual
or go to the dealer to reset god forbid. Drive 100 miles round trip to the Audi dealer every 10,000 miles, spending money, emitting carbon, and wasting 4 to 5 hours in the process, to reset a light that should not even be on?
Your design defect claim is like you saying you don't have a tool so that makes your car a design defect. Like a metric hex key for example. No its different that saying that
You are entitled to your own opinion, but facts are facts.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

I will try to help. At the dealer when your car gets plugged in to reset the service due indicator light, any and all updates to software, recalls, component update campaigns are flagged and then performed.
I and most people would call that a design enhancement and certainly not a defect.
When you only change your oil yourself you are doing none of those above things, so in Audi's mind you have not serviced your car to the degree it should have been. Simply put your car is asking for service that you cannot perform yourself.
Get past it and move on.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

This thread is devolving into an argument of semantics and the beating of dead horses. Defect or no defect - it doesn't really matter what you call it. Bottom line, if you want to make coding changes to the way the car comes from the factory, you need a VCDS. If you want to reset the service reminder and don't want to buy the cable or find an indy shop or owner who has one, you go to the dealer. Like it or not, it is what it is and has been for many years with cars from VAG. Continuing to express unhappiness about it isn't going to change that.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganny
Thousands of owners of Audi vehicles in the whole world has different positive opinion about Audi cars, unlike your.

Hundreds of engineers in Germany thinks differently of you

Submit lawsuit in court because of "design defect" and is seeking compensation of $ 10 million from Audi, perhaps receiving and you become millionaire Of course after that do not ever to buy more Audi

Last edited by spijun; 04-10-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what percentage of owners feel this is a major problem or design flaw? Less than 1%? Less than 2%? My guess is that it's miniscule.

No doubt important to those who feel strongly about it, but there's just not that many IMO.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I wonder what percentage of owners feel this is a major problem or design flaw? Less than 1%? Less than 2%? My guess is that it's miniscule.

No doubt important to those who feel strongly about it, but there's just not that many IMO.
its soo defective that I love my Q5 lol. technically this is not a design flaw. Audi is in the high end car mfg. it is expected on this issue. People buys a nice car and complains about it. why buy a nice car when your always going to complain about it right. Might as well stick with a Honda where you can reset reminders with out the vagcom/VCD.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob

If you start a poll asking owners whether they would like Service Interval reset capability, it would be close to 100% (not 1 or 2%).
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"If you start a poll asking owners whether they would like Service Interval reset capability, it would be close to 100% (not 1 or 2%). "
ROFLMAO!

No really, what planet are you on?

The average and typical car owner, of any make, model or brand, doesn't want to know squat about service reminders and lights and resetting anything. They only want to use the damned car, and say "take fixee" when it needs anything except gas.

Hell, they don't even put in their own oil or air. Maybe you didn't hear about the great Firestone Tire / Ford Explorer blowouts fiasco, when the truth came out that something like 75% of all the cars are the road have underinflated tires and 25% may have dangerously underinflated tires, causing blowouts and rollovers.

And you expect THOSE PEOPLE give a damn about reset lights?

Obviously, Ganny, you're on a very different planet. One where Audi sales are not authorized at all, to anyone, at anytime.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok, I have to remind some folks that derisive, personal comments are not cool or permitted in the forums. We may not agree with others and it's ok to make your points and state your opinions but please keep it respectful and avoid the argumentative, personal stuff or posts will start getting deleted. We're all here to share, help and learn.
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Ok, I have to remind some folks that derisive, personal comments are not cool or permitted in the forums. We may not agree with others and it's ok to make your points and state your opinions but please keep it respectful and avoid the argumentative, personal stuff or posts will start getting deleted. We're all here to share, help and learn.
Thanks.
+1

Maybe it would be best to lock this thread

Quick Reply: Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light