Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Photos after tint and clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xylar5
I like it.

Has the tinted roof taken away from the open, panoramic feel?
Not at all. The 70% is quite subtle so you would think it's OEM if you didn't know the Q5 well, and even many owners wouldn't notice the difference. I'll grab some pics one of these days.

In fact, you can argue it adds more to the open panoramic roof as now I keep the shade open all the time while otherwise I likely would have had it at least partially closed (for rear seat comfort)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Factory tints deal w/ the uV but not iR

Tints back to the simple slightly green glass deal w/ the uV pretty well. But even the dark SUV/minivan type glass doesn't really cut back a lot of iR that generates heat through the glass--it's mostly just a glass darkener that cuts down on visible light. Hence the tin film; even the nominally clear ones (90%) start to reject some of the iR and the 70 or 50 is pretty good at it per the specs.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by soonerfan
3M 30FX-PM on my front door glass and 3M 90 Crystalline on the sunroof panels for mine. Plus, I had him put Scotchgard Paint Protection Film on the rear bumper.
Looks like that matched the front doors to the rear ones quite well - nice!

How much did they charge you overall, or just the roof if you have that broken out? I was quoted at $250 for just the roof with Crystalline. I went with Suntek CXP for a fraction (roughly $150 before bundling discounts) of that with similar performance. I did like the Crystalline marketing on their product though

Oh and looks like I failed to mention that the clear bra is on bumper, headlights, front of hood, quarter panels, mirrors, handle indents (where you fingernails and rings hit), and top of rear bumper.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark P
I thought about it, but ever since having a car with 5% rear widows and 20% fronts, I've stayed away from tint at all. It was just a different time in my life with different desires. That said, doing the 70% up front may have been good as it would have been very subtle but had the other benefits. I wanted to see how this turned out first. I actually wasn't planning on tint at all - I was just going in for the clear bra and then in the days before decided to add the tint as well
I went with Crystalline 50% on the front side windows of ours. It's legal in my state and although it doesn't match the privacy glass in the rear it does add a subtle, not too dark, look from the side. I didn't do the roof but may consider it in the future. No excessive heat problems through this summer though.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 09-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like that matched the front doors to the rear ones quite well - nice!

How much did they charge you overall, or just the roof if you have that broken out? I was quoted at $250 for just the roof with Crystalline. I went with Suntek CXP for a fraction (roughly $150 before bundling discounts) of that with similar performance. I did like the Crystalline marketing on their product though

Oh and looks like I failed to mention that the clear bra is on bumper, headlights, front of hood, quarter panels, mirrors, handle indents (where you fingernails and rings hit), and top of rear bumper.
Mark, the roof panels were $135. Front windows $81. I received a 10% discount for being a repeat customer.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not at all. The 70% is quite subtle so you would think it's OEM if you didn't know the Q5 well, and even many owners wouldn't notice the difference. I'll grab some pics one of these days.

In fact, you can argue it adds more to the open panoramic roof as now I keep the shade open all the time while otherwise I likely would have had it at least partially closed (for rear seat comfort)
That is what I wanted to hear. I assumed as much. It pretty much confirms that I will be tinting the top along with the fronts shortly after it arrives.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default FWIW, similarly on other panoramic roofs...

The Gen 2 Mini Cooper was among the first with a panoramic/ginormous roof. Common on that car to tint it, for the same heat reasons. I did mine with 70%, likewise being a little concerned it might darken things too much. Net, I could hardly tell it was tinted more in terms of apparent light and visual appearance inside the car, but it definitely dropped the absorbed heat. Used to feel it on my head and (uncovered) arms pre tint. Post tint, much better.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Mark, the roof panels were $135. Front windows $81. I received a 10% discount for being a repeat customer.
Cool
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting video on tinting:

Why is everyone one choosing 3M for their tints?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I thought I saw you're in the Raleigh area? If so, looks like there's one that Xpel lists there - Total Vehicle Preparation:
http://www.tvpauto.com/ppf.html
Xpel Ultimate is great stuff - I highly recommend it.
I'm in Raleigh area and got mine done at TVP

Quick Reply: Photos after tint and clear bra