Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Photos of Q5 Tinted

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Photos of Q5 Tinted

I was hoping to see some photos of the Q5 with different tint specs. I'm looking to tint the pano possibly 50%. I'm debating on what to do with the driver and passenger sides and likely will tint them less than the rear passenger and trunk.

Attached is what my 2006 outback XT looked like and the front driver and passenger side was a lighter tint than the rear and trunk. I believe it is actually still illegal to tint the front driver and passenger windows in California.

Please share photos and include tint specs.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I believe it is actually still illegal to tint the front driver and passenger windows in California.
CA tint laws state that the front windows must allow for 70% transmission of light. This is basically the amount an untinted window allows through. I've had the front passenger windows tinted, but no more than 45 (55% light transmission). I have a buddy who went with 35, but that is too dark for me.

Also keep in mind that if you tint the back window dark, it does reduce visibility when driving at night. Back in my younger days, I had a limo tint back window and it was a bitch to look out of.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got my wife a 2015 Q5. I feel like with the all the light that comes in from the pano roof even the factory tint is pretty see through. To remedy this our guy did 15% on the fronts and somewhere around 30% on the back to match it up. Leaving the pano the factory tint makes the rest of the windows look uniform and great but not crazy dark.

I'll take a picture when it's light out.

Really no visibility issues from the inside in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phil0383
Is that a blackvue dash cam I spy? If so, how do you like it? I am considering one for my car. Apologies for going off topic.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you go, 15% in front with the backs tinted darker to match. I think it turned out really well. This is partial overcast so it looks a bit darker than in sunlight.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

f1 pinnacle 40 (43% VLT) - pretty happy with it so far. Color is a little on the cool side. IIRC, the Huper Optik 40's I had on my previous q5 were a little warmer (brownish) in color. According to the installer (Art of Tint in Brooklyn) the f1 pinnacle 35's (39% VLT) match the privacy glass exactly.

Last edited by userbbc; 09-26-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crystaline from the dealer...

I finally got around to snapping a few pics of my SQ5. Here is the Crystaline tint applied (outsourced) by the dealer. I don't know the exact numbers, but the front and rears all match and are darker than the regular stock tint.

The front windshield also has the Crystaline tint, and is at 75%. It isn't very dark, but I like the reflection someone gets when trying to look in.

I wish I knew the numbers for the back and sides, but I just told the salesman I wanted them all as dark as legally possible, and then some.

Last edited by SQive; 09-28-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQive
I finally got around to snapping a few pics of my SQ5. Here is the Crystaline tint applied (outsourced) by the dealer. I don't know the exact numbers, but the front and rears all match and are darker than the regular stock tint.

The front windshield also has the Crystaline tint, and is at 70%. It isn't very dark, but I like the reflection someone gets when trying to look in.

I wish I knew the numbers for the back and sides, but I just told the salesman I wanted them all as dark as legally possible, and then some.
Looks nice. Do you know what %'s are legal in your area? That would help to give you an idea of the level of the tint. Or, I'm sure the installer they used could tell you.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pinnacle 50% front sides, 15% back sides.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Looks nice. Do you know what %'s are legal in your area? That would help to give you an idea of the level of the tint. Or, I'm sure the installer they used could tell you.
The rear sides are unlimited.
The rear is unlimited if you have rear-view mirrors on both sides. If not, 25%.
The front-sides are 25%.
The windshield is 75%.
They passed legislation a year or two ago that relaxed most of the tint restrictions here in Texas, as well as those night-time speed limit signs we used to have.

Last edited by SQive; 09-28-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Photos of Q5 Tinted