Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Picking a color

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking a color

One of the last remaining undecided issues for my Q5 order is color.

My list is narrowed down to Black, Silver, Meteor Gray, and the Dark blue.

Black is sexy, but I almost think you lose appreciation for subtle contours and lines of the Q5 that make it look SO much nicer then every one of it's competitors. IMHO Black is what I would get a more boring looking Lexus RX350 or a MB GLK in to attempt to make them be sexier then they actually are. My opinion here might be different if the "Pearl effect" black was offered on the Q5 like it is on some other Audi's. Before any black paint Q5 owners take offense, plesae understand I still think the black looks very good or it wouldn't be a finalist. It could simply be my poor eyesight that causes me to lose the lines of the car from a distance.

Silver looks sharp. The majority of the Q5 professionaly photographed ads display silver versions. Which I think is very telling that the artistic eye thinks silver is the best color for showing off a Q5. My only issue with Silver is that SO many people drive silver cars these days. The coolness factor gets seriously depleted when half the cars on the road are that color. On the other hand I expect to be the only Audi Q5 in my little town for quite awhile. So I should stand out reasonably well regardless.

Gray to be honest is a compromise between the previous two. It shows off the lines of the car better then black. The Gray is also something different then the ever so common silver. Also the "pearl" effect is pretty awesome though one has to be quite close to fully appreciate how unique that effect is. Or again that could just be my near sightedness

Dark blue looks very good in pictures. However I have not been able to view it in person. The small dealership in Little Rock doesn't have a single Audi of any make in that color right now. The Dark blue with Pearl Effect might just be that unique combination I am looking for to really make my Q5 stand out. But man it is a tough choice to make from a friggin picture.

By the way folks I am not normally quite this neurotic and wishy washy. But spending over 50K on a vehicle is a pretty huge decision and I like to discuss things as a way of ordering my own inner thoughts. So thanks in advance if you bother to read and respond to my comments here. You folks are helping me a lot simply by allowing me to talk myself to a decision point!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh just in case anyone was curious. The full details of options I want are as follows.

S-Line Prestige with Drive select and possibly the 2010 Model "Luxury" option.

Recently learning about the Luxury option and the "new" s-line wheel design are throwing some kinks in my ability to make my order right away. I don't like all of Audi's wheel designs, some are quite bad looking to my taste at least. So blindly ordering a new wheel design could be a deal breaker until I see pics.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Color

hi there,

i read with interest about your dilemma regarding color choice,

my advice is to get the dealer to check to see what is on the water, i gave mine 3 choices and it was never going to hapeen i'm afraid, even 3 months out,

i ended up ordering silver with black interior, having the nav was the problem,

but saying that, there is one in the showroom in my color and the silver looks very nice, i am just a bit worried about how hot the black interior will get in the sun,
Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Color choice is tough...I am coming from a black A6, and have decided it's time to leave Black behind. I had an old Silver A4 and loved it. So it was between Silver, Meteor Gray and Quartz Gray. BTW, Audi loves their gray's don't they...across the model line outside of just Q5 you see Condor Gray, Meteor Gray, Dolphin Gray, Daytona Gray, Lava Gray, and several other gray-ish choices.

In the end, it was between Meteor and Quartz, and I went Quartz Gray. A little more depth to the color than just Silver, but still light enough to not be a dark beast like Meteor (no offense). That's my 2 cents on it anyway, YMMV and no offense to anyone with those other choices(!). The bottom line is all colors of a Q5 are gonna be real nice, no doubt about it.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know that there were any colors other than black? LOL. Anyway, out of the choices you mentioned (if you don't want black, which is my first choice) get the meteor gray. I had a similar color on my last car and it was so much easier to take care of, and just looks beautiful.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the comments folks. Keep em coming! I am going by the dealership today for another examination of the colors.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife choose Meteor Gray. And she is very hard to please in colors.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I initially wanted a white one as it seems like it would definitely make a nice contrast with the Audi grill. However, went to dealership and there was only 1 premium Q5 with everything we wanted and it's with black exterior and beige interior. It surprised us that it actually looks really classy and with the daylight LED, it looks awesome. The only downside we find is that it takes quite a bit of maintenance because any dirt will show. Nonetheless, if it is kept clean and spotless, it looks great!

Here's my personal preference in color.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

You've been reading my mind.

I'm also looking at ordering a Meteor Gray Prestige S-Line with Drive Select. That pretty much maxes the options out, which means it's going to be pricey, but I expect to hold on to it for a number of years.

Was originally gunning for a 2009, but the Luxury package is very enticing, plus I'm not sure I'd even be able to find a 2009 with that configuration. It sounds like Drive Select may be a Special Order, so 2010 would be the only option.

Best of luck on your decision.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Color is a personal preference...

...but let me help you make up your mind...
Attached Thumbnails Picking a color-img_1832a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Picking a color