Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Picking a color

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

This isn't the best shot... I wasn't planning to get it, but wanted to show my wife.

Here's the Blue.

We personally preferred white. We thought about blue, but white what the sharpest looking one to us.

Contrast .
Attached Thumbnails Picking a color-sdc10342.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the pics.

I got by the dealer today and took a look at the blue on a A4. However, it was in the middle of a rainstorm and was dark and cloudy. So it was hardly the best viewing experience and sadly did little to help me with color choices.

The dealership has a Black Premier Plus with Nav inside their showroom. Since it was raining outside I decided to mess around wth it some. I told the sales people to go away for awhile. Then I just started crawling through it and opened up everything, played with everything, sat in every seat moved everything around and pretty much thoroughly gave it the once over.

In general I liked almost everything I discovered. Though I did learn 2 negative things and have a unanswered question regarding a third thing.

Negative thing #1 is head space in back seat. If I had to sit in a Q5 back seat I would be tilting my head a bit. While I am only 6" tall I sit up unusually high because a disproportionate amount of my height is in my torso versus my legs. So translation I had plenty of leg room, but my head hits the roof. Only people built like me or very tall 6'2"+ would likely have the same issues. Conversely the adjustment range ont eh driver seat are spectacular and I have 0 issues fitting into the wonderful cockpit of the Q5. It accomodates my freakish need for head room and my broad shoulders (and lets not mention thw big gut) quite well.

Negative #2 was some of the wiz bang they brag about on the Nav system doesn't apply to my region of the states. This is really a very minor issue but it was annoying to elarn that no cities in Arkansas or really within 300 miles of me have the cool 3d mapping features. Nav still works for my area but its the traditional flat 2 dimensional stuff.

Question regarding voice activation. The product expert was not in the dealership today and the guy that was helping couldn't seem to get much going with the voice input options. I don't really know what the issue was or what all is doable with voice activation. So I ask all of you that question. What can you do with voice inputs? Is it only to operate your phone via bluetooth or can it be used to manage the MMI and navigation system?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BeachRat
You've been reading my mind.

I'm also looking at ordering a Meteor Gray Prestige S-Line with Drive Select. That pretty much maxes the options out, which means it's going to be pricey, but I expect to hold on to it for a number of years.

Was originally gunning for a 2009, but the Luxury package is very enticing, plus I'm not sure I'd even be able to find a 2009 with that configuration. It sounds like Drive Select may be a Special Order, so 2010 would be the only option.

Best of luck on your decision.
Good luck to you as well!

I tell you I keep trying to talk myself out of the "FULLY LOADED" version and walking away with a really nice 42-45K version. But I keep coming back to wanting the whole deal. This isn't a 2nd car for me. This will be the one and only vehicle for me and I intend to own it for several years (I have owned my current car for 5 Years and 6 months) and I am finding it hard to compromise and make any cuts to getting it all.

It would be a totaly different story if for instance I had a nice S5 sport coupe sitting next to my Utility Q7 or Q5. I don't and to me that would be an extreme waste if I did. The neatest thing about these Q5s and the reason some of us are interested in S-Line versions (yes S line UTILITY vehicles) is that this crossover can BE it all in one car.

Sorry that little soap box was from having read a few sarcastic remarks in other threads about why us misguided Q5 fans want S-Line and other "sporty" features for our hum drum utility vehicles.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That Blue Q5 has Headlamp washers and its not an S-line??

I thought you could only get the Headlamp washers on the S-line in NA? This is good news Does anyone have the info on this? What country is that car from? Canadian??
Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Canada! Sorry, just saw the original poster's location.

Duh!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cavalier
Negative #2 was some of the wiz bang they brag about on the Nav system doesn't apply to my region of the states. This is really a very minor issue but it was annoying to elarn that no cities in Arkansas or really within 300 miles of me have the cool 3d mapping features. Nav still works for my area but its the traditional flat 2 dimensional stuff.
FYI, I live in Los Angeles and the only 3d imagery so far I have seen was in Downtown Los Angeles. I think it really only shows the 3D imagery in downtown areas of large cities.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cavalier
Thanks for the pics.

I got by the dealer today and took a look at the blue on a A4. However, it was in the middle of a rainstorm and was dark and cloudy. So it was hardly the best viewing experience and sadly did little to help me with color choices.

The dealership has a Black Premier Plus with Nav inside their showroom. Since it was raining outside I decided to mess around wth it some. I told the sales people to go away for awhile. Then I just started crawling through it and opened up everything, played with everything, sat in every seat moved everything around and pretty much thoroughly gave it the once over.

In general I liked almost everything I discovered. Though I did learn 2 negative things and have a unanswered question regarding a third thing.

Negative thing #1 is head space in back seat. If I had to sit in a Q5 back seat I would be tilting my head a bit. While I am only 6" tall I sit up unusually high because a disproportionate amount of my height is in my torso versus my legs. So translation I had plenty of leg room, but my head hits the roof. Only people built like me or very tall 6'2"+ would likely have the same issues. Conversely the adjustment range ont eh driver seat are spectacular and I have 0 issues fitting into the wonderful cockpit of the Q5. It accomodates my freakish need for head room and my broad shoulders (and lets not mention thw big gut) quite well.

Question regarding voice activation. The product expert was not in the dealership today and the guy that was helping couldn't seem to get much going with the voice input options. I don't really know what the issue was or what all is doable with voice activation. So I ask all of you that question. What can you do with voice inputs? Is it only to operate your phone via bluetooth or can it be used to manage the MMI and navigation system?

Cavalier I am surpised you have trouble sitting in the backseat, I am 6'5 and have plenty of headroom there. As far as the 3D goes, we are 45mins from NYC and it looks amazing there.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackPrestige
Cavalier I am surpised you have trouble sitting in the backseat, I am 6'5 and have plenty of headroom there. As far as the 3D goes, we are 45mins from NYC and it looks amazing there.

Well like I said I am a bit freakish in my body build. I moved the seat forward and back and reclined the back etc and I still brushed the roof with my head. No big deal really I do not intend to be int he back seat much myself!