Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A-pillar trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dudealicious, I appreciate you posting the pics and info on how you did it, honestly I never saw your post until you sent the 2nd post. In any case, not sure if you brought 3 wires up the pillar between the rubber seal i can barely get one to hide. Also, I understand it is not safe to run the wire on this side, as that is the side where the air bag is rolled up and would catch the wires and pull any device with it, if it was deploy.

Last edited by johnQ5Vegas; 12-08-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
There is room to hide the wire along the way to the front side of the A pillar
From my 2013 post about my 2011: The wires do tuck in at the top and bottom of the A pillar without removing anything. The center section where the wires don't tuck inside the A pillar stay flush and are not visible inside or outside the car.
Occasionally (yearly?) I would have to re-tuck the top and bottom back in to keep taught in the center. (2) sets of wires; V1 and Dash cam.
On my 2020 I used a mirror tap for both. Much better way to go if your mirror is powered. My 2011 mirror was not powered.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks rdA4WtQ5 I ended up squeezing each of 3 wires between the dash and the base of pillar. There is virtually no space around the corner of the pillar on the lower corner closest to door but once you pass this corner wires seemed to slide easier between the base pillar and dash to the windshield.

Here I'm bringing in 3 wires after you remove fuse box cover and side trim. (video, power for dashcam and power for speed dectector)

If you just have wire without a plug on the end, you can also push a wire from the bottom corner of dash and fish it through between pillar cover and windshield

coat hanger wire fished through

Using Nylon Pry Bar trim tool, I then brought tucked them behind the windshield and up the pillar then across the headliner on top.

using nylon pry bar slid in from top where there is more room between windshield and pillar cover. Try not to use metal screwdriver it could rip cloth on pillar.

Use zip ties clipped around wires when pushing them inside headliner, this helps them stay stuck to headliner (see picture of wire).

clipped zip tie to hold wire inside headliner

There is plenty of room between the headliner and windshield until I got to the rear view mirror, where I tucked wires in the housing of mirror.

the cover on top of mirror base clips off to allow you to hide wires

Needed widen the hole on the plastic trim that comes off the mirror so all 4 wires could squeeze through. Be careful when hiding wires inside the rear view mirror mounting bracket, I accidentally unplugged one of the wires when I was wrestling the 4 wires inside the rear view mirror mounting bracket and this caused a warning "Automatic headlights / automatic wipers defective" to come on in my control panel when I started the car and thought I was done.
The following users liked this post:
sasquatchimo (06-25-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you share the PDF link for below instructions

Originally Posted by spijun
I am trying to install Viofo DashCam on my 2015 Audi . So can you share the PDF document for above instructions?