Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Please help me decide: Q5 vs Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me decide: Q5 vs Lexus RX350

I can't decide between which car to buy. I'm not that much of a gearhead, so things like acceleration, torque and HP are not that much of a concern for me. What I am mostly interested in is comfort. I don't want to hear annoying noise, and I don't want to "feel the road" like many driving enthusiasts tend to enjoy. I heard there is an annoying noise when the crossbeam is installed (isn't it installed on every new Q5?). Has this been fixed and/or is there a fix for this?

Also, how does the Q5 compare to other vehicles in its class in terms of suspension/handling of bumps - the roads in Los Angeles are pretty crappy.

I don't really care about cost as long as its below 50k. I'm a 25 y/o male with a dog, road bike/surf board I use frequently and I drive about 10k miles/yr in Los Angeles. I also intend on owning my next vehicle for 7+ years so things like frequency of breaking down and costs to repair are of some concern unless its less than a $1-2k difference over 7-8 years. I realize that many people perceive the RX 350 as a feminine car. Am not that concerned with what people will think about my car - just about which one is better for me and/or better overall and WHY.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QueensGambit
I can't decide between which car to buy. I'm not that much of a gearhead, so things like acceleration, torque and HP are not that much of a concern for me. What I am mostly interested in is comfort. I don't want to hear annoying noise, and I don't want to "feel the road" like many driving enthusiasts tend to enjoy. I heard there is an annoying noise when the crossbeam is installed (isn't it installed on every new Q5?). Has this been fixed and/or is there a fix for this?

Also, how does the Q5 compare to other vehicles in its class in terms of suspension/handling of bumps - the roads in Los Angeles are pretty crappy.

I don't really care about cost as long as its below 50k. I'm a 25 y/o male with a dog, road bike/surf board I use frequently and I drive about 10k miles/yr in Los Angeles. I also intend on owning my next vehicle for 7+ years so things like frequency of breaking down and costs to repair are of some concern unless its less than a $1-2k difference over 7-8 years. I realize that many people perceive the RX 350 as a feminine car. Am not that concerned with what people will think about my car - just about which one is better for me and/or better overall and WHY.
Sounds like you may have already made your choice. The Q5 is definitely more performance oriented than the RX 350, so if comfort is your #1 priority and cost is not a concern, go with the Lexus. In fact, if you don't want to feel the road then the Q5 is not a good choice. It's not rough but the Lexus ride is made to isolate the passengers from the road so it should suit you better. Both cars should be pretty reliable unless you get unlucky, but both Lexus and Audi charge premium for maintenance.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to take the two cars for a drive to decide for yourself however given your criteria I think you might be better served by getting the Lexus. It is a more luxury oriented vehicle whereas the Q5 is more of a sport oriented vehicle.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Save yourself some money and get a Toyota Highlander. The Lexus RX350 is essentially a dress up Highlander. If you were blindfolded and test drive the two cars (if that is possible at all), you won't find any significant difference. RX350 gets slightly better fuel economy, while the Highlander is a bit more spacious. Be sure to get the one with 18" wheels.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've driven both. Lexus are nice but the quality inside is getting cheaper. If your aiming to save MPG you should stick with Q5 2.0T. Lexus RX350 does not do well on the gas.

All cars break down depends on how the car is driven and taken cared of.

As for Dogs: Audi does sell or give a back seat cover for pets.
As for biking and surfing: Audi Q5 2.0T does include a rack which RX350 does not. (RX350 you will need to purchase your own rack) The Rack's can be removed at your own time. *the car senses that it has 200lbs on the roof therefore the car will adjust the center of gravity automatically* I dont think RX350 has that feature.

As for wind sound: You may take a look into aftermarket products that has a board which cover's the opening on the front rack to decrease the wind noise. Not sure what it is called.

As for suspensions: They both do pretty well, what i like about the Q5 is that the steering stiffs up during turns unlike the RX350.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All great responses on comparing the two.

The RX-350 will pamper it's passengers, whereas the Q will pamper it's driver.

The Lexus is the "Big Kahuna" as far as sales are concerned and you'll see many on the road in L.A. But we've been very happy that we thought "Out of the Box" three years ago and got the Q. It's a solid vehicle and you wouldn't go wrong with either choice.

P.S. Lexus has come out with a new RX-350 F Sport and that might be closer to the Q. You may want to try that one out.

Has anyone tried the F-Sport?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
All great responses on comparing the two.

The RX-350 will pamper it's passengers, whereas the Q will pamper it's driver.

The Lexus is the "Big Kahuna" as far as sales are concerned and you'll see many on the road in L.A. But we've been very happy that we thought "Out of the Box" three years ago and got the Q. It's a solid vehicle and you wouldn't go wrong with either choice.

P.S. Lexus has come out with a new RX-350 F Sport and that might be closer to the Q. You may want to try that one out.

Has anyone tried the F-Sport?
heard of it, but never buy one when it first comes out. There may be issue's and flaws with it. Wait until the second or third version.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't get the Q5. The Lexus or, as opus mentioned, a Highlander will better suit your needs/desires. Both of these choices will be more comfy than a Q5.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
heard of it, but never buy one when it first comes out. There may be issue's and flaws with it. Wait until the second or third version.
LOL, I hear you loud and clear. But had we thought like that in 2009 when we got our Q, people were saying "Don't ever buy a first year German car till they've worked out the glitches" we would have waited and likely paid a lot more now that they're more popular/in demand.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
LOL, I hear you loud and clear. But had we thought like that in 2009 when we got our Q, people were saying "Don't ever buy a first year German car till they've worked out the glitches" we would have waited and likely paid a lot more now that they're more popular/in demand.
lol! that goes out to any make of cars. But i gotta give it for Audi. They had approved quite alot over the years.

Quick Reply: Please help me decide: Q5 vs Lexus RX350