Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Please help me decide: Q5 vs Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering the Lexus RX350 and the 2013 Acura RDX before I wound up deciding on the Q5. I think that the Lexus is a very nice car, with lots of room and comfort. I liked the vented front seat feature too. It was a bit large for my garage though and I liked the looks and better mileage of the Q5.

To me, the Acura just wasn't as luxurious, nor did it have many features that I was able to get on the Q5, so for the fairly small price difference, it didn't make sense.

For us, the Lexus dealership is quite an experience, with a full service deli for customers and very curtious service. I don't think that you can go wrong with either the Lexus, or the Q5 and it depends on what you want in terms of size, luxury features, handling and such. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take your time on choosing
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you want room and comfort, the Lexus wins hands down. But, as vain as it is, we did not like the looks and we were not crazy about the interior setup, as luxurious as it is. Now don't laugh at me when I say this, but have you considered the Lincoln MKX? It is also tuned to a more comfortable ride but it has a lot of room inside, drives more competently than the Lexus, and looks WAY less feminine. It takes regular gas as well. I thought the interior was top notch (better than Lexus actually) and its interface is better for the navi/radio etc. Only downside is that you can't get roof rails with the package you'd want (the one with the vista glass roof) so you'd have to go aftermarket. I have seen solutions, and it is very doable. It was between that and the Audi for us, but we chose sportier ride and handling over luxurious. Give it a try, though...you may be surprised and it is an excellent alternative to the common Lexus.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone. What are your thoughts on the Ford Edge (both the company and the car)?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Ford Edge and the Lincoln MKX ride on the same platform and pretty similar. Again, I will say that the Lincoln is moe comfortable and luxurious. Honestly, go sit in one and you will be shocked. One of the nicer crossover interiors on the market in my opinion. As relaxing and comfortable as the ride is, though. it is a powerful car. If you go for the MKX or the Edge Sport they come with a 305 horsepower and 280 lb/ft torque machine. They are heavy machines, so that helps, but you will not be short on power.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks I'll try out the Lincoln.

Going back to the Q5 / RX350 question, how much can I expect to pay in maintenance for each vehicle over a 7 year period?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay away from the Q5, it's a driver's car. Lexus makes a great appliance car and they go out of their way to INSULATE you from the driving experience, which is exactly what you explained in your first post.

Bad roads is LA? Seriously? Wow you need to get out more!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by opus360
Save yourself some money and get a Toyota Highlander. The Lexus RX350 is essentially a dress up Highlander. If you were blindfolded and test drive the two cars (if that is possible at all), you won't find any significant difference. RX350 gets slightly better fuel economy, while the Highlander is a bit more spacious. Be sure to get the one with 18" wheels.
There is a very significant difference in the "dress up". They may ride similarly but there is a major difference in quality of materials, stereo, seat comfort, etc. I would not undersell Lexus here if you like comfy.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, say there was a 1 -------- 10 spectrum of overall ride "cushyness" rankings.

How would Honda civic rank? (this was my previous car which I didn't mind the cushyness on).

How would Lexus rank?
How would Q5 rank?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess I'm basically just looking for alternatives to the RX350 as part of stringent research. Thoughts on the Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i?

Quick Reply: Please help me decide: Q5 vs Lexus RX350