Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 2.0T purchased used March 2021 with 34,815 miles, currently 50k miles on it.

Originally Posted by Norskie
I think you need to ask the SA these questions:
  1. How bad does the oil consumption need to be before Audi covers the repairs?
  2. If Audi covers the repair, will they also cover the oil consumption test? I'm guessing if they don't cover the repair, they also won't cover the test.
  3. If they replace the rings, will they install the same stupid low-tension rings or will they replace them with proper conventional rings?
  4. Is there a cap on what the warranty will cover? This repair may exceed the value of your vehicle and it might be mechanically totalled.
I believe Audi's limit for oil consumption is 1L / 1K km ... if you don't think you're burning that much, you may very well end up with a $750 bill and knowledge that you're burning something (Like 0.5L / 1K km ?) but enough for them to fix it.

I purchased this March 2021 with 34,815 miles on it CPO we have now currently 50k miles. Since we purchased this Q5 we have put 15,185 miles that we have put on this Q5 since March 2021. Then a month before or next service appointment a year later it was down 2 full quarts of oil and they told my wife to come into the dealers service center to top off. Well they didn’t tell her she was down two quarts with the oil light on. This was our very first Audi Q5. The kids in the service area didn’t let my wife stay and watch where the computer showed the levels inside on the dash. They gave the line mam have seat in the waiting area as we will top it off and add a quart. But then we got charged and all our oil changes are covered for free under Audi pure extended warranty to 90000 miles or 2029. Which ever comes first as the Audi pure platinum plus the other extended number 5 top coverage covering glass, tires, body dings , paint damage , paint chips and much more again for 90kmiles or 2029. Whichever comes first. So no technician put the oil in because we found out that our vehicle Q5 oil light comes on at low 2 quarts from what I heard from Audi at many dealerships it won’t come on until 2 quarts are lost. Because each time it did come on the dealer fletcher jones in Chicago only put in one quart and then would tell my wife you are all good and then two months later we went in for the service and 1 year oil change where they push all this extra maintenance and everytime I ask did the vehicle have any oil leaks because it was down 2 quarts every year around the same time and that was 5,061 broken down amongst three years but to be technical it was 3800 the first time down to quarts and then the next year two months before the service date which was 2 more quarts down then this year 2.5 quarts and 5,500 miles later but again they said come on in. We said no went to a foreign auto shop called Autohaus up north and the owner showed me it was down 2.5 quarts still no light on but I check it and my wife said she noticed it smoking from the hood so I check it I found no dip stick and I look in the pdf file I downloaded off Audi’s site and it showed how to find out how low the oil was in the vehicles screen and I found it and the level was all the way at the bottom and the owner of this foreign vehicle repair shop said come in and will look at it and tell you what it is. Two hours later 2.5 quarts low and a whole mess of information and things fletcher didn’t do to find this and never said to either of us will do an oil consumption test to figure this out for you. So I left Autohaus and went straight to the dealer last week spoke in detail with the service manager and he heard everything and didn’t realize that when there guys topped it off they did put 2 quarts in. They only put one in and sent my wife on her merry way and the gearhead in me asked her all these questions and not till this year did I get real proactive on checking it since her last oil change because we spent a few bucks and sure enough it’s four months till our service on the Q5 and it’s down 2.5 quarts of oil and now I get from the service advisor well you gotta pay for these two tests but they didn’t bring this up till 50,000 miles on the dot. Thinking we didn’t have anymore Audi coverage because they didn’t see it on there info. And so since it’s been at Audi since yesterday morning at 7am there is 4000 in work being covered by Audi pure platinum and Audi is covering the two tests for oil consumption as well. And will find out if I’m supposed to be losing 2.5 quarts of oil on this Q5 since 5,061 miles on it since the last service date and we are 3 1/2 months away from the next service date.
I’m pretty sure there is blow by the rings and will see if I get this Q5 rebuilt 2.0T motor replaced or get a it rebuilt with better rings and four new pistons and anything else?

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Your 2018 is a B9, this is the B8/8.5 forum. Yet, my advice remains the same. Also, you didn't tell us the mileage it uses oil in, only time. For all we know, you're adding a quart every 10k miles, that's not a problem. Most of us have assumed that Audi fixed the rings in 2018+ ... maybe not? Maybe it's the PCV? As for 'normal' ... yeah, oil consumption on the 2.0T's ls considered 'normal' as it is a pretty common ailment.
👍👍👍
Old 12-28-2023, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

And so since it’s been at Audi since yesterday morning at 7am there is 4000 in work being covered by Audi pure platinum and Audi is covering the two tests for oil consumption as well. And will find out if I’m supposed to be losing 2.5 quarts of oil on this Q5 since 5,061 miles on it since the last service date and we are 3 1/2 months away from the next service date.
Is this the tl;dr ?
It consumes 2.5 quarts/5k miles = 1 quarts per 2k miles.
Audi is paying $4k to fix it.
First, that seems like a low amount to pay for a ring job - we've been hearing $12k on these forums.

Second, no, any reasonable person would think 1L/2k miles is too much oil consumed, but it may be within Audi's specifications.

Assuming it is the piston rings, does this mean Audi is still using the same rings they had problems with in 2011? Ick.

If you get new but same style rings, the consensus on this board to prevent this from ocurring again is to change your oil frequently, like every 3-4k miles. And/or don't plan on keeping the car long enough to experience this issue again.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Q5 is still at the dealership. I asked about the oil consumption test. So they topped it off and are stating the first test has started. I am supposed drive the car they are stating till the oil light comes back on or the oil level has dropped very low. Then I’m supposed come back in for the 2nd test they will perform. All the other work found was the leak from the valve cover and the evap valve all has been fixed. The control arms bushing were all replaced as well. And they found a small coolant leak as well. I had the coolant flushed completely at the last service inspection and the tires rotate and balanced and a front and rear alignment they stated due to tires feathering. Which was bull ****. All the tires are at 71/2 to 8 on the gauge. All fairly new. And they are having my windshield and minor dings on the body checked if they can do dent less repair. And if the windshield needs to be replaced because three to four chips in the drivers view. Audi says they have done over 4k in work as far as repairs and parts. And all of it plus the oil consumption tests 1and 2 are covered by Audi. So will see if it’s blow by which another foreign automobile mechanic that looked at the issue already stated I have blow by with 2.5 quarts in less that 3,800 miles since my last oil change. This owner of the business has been working on Audi’s for 44 years. I tend to believe him versus doing these test. But if they want to prove this we will do what they ask. Thank you all for you help.