Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Police countermeasures for the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police countermeasures for the Q5

What countermeasures are you running on your Audi's or other vehicles now? How have they assisted you in avoiding speed traps and costly tickets associated with them?

Has anyone been able outfit their Q5 with the concealed in mirror V1?
www.radar-mirror.com

What is everyone's thoughts on the K40 RL360 vs the newest V1? Does anyone know if Valentine One will try and compete with GPS or if their technology will remain the same? What advances have they done in the last 3 years to stay ahead of the curve in police countermeasures?

How satisfied are other V1 users here? Would you buy the V1 again or would you choose another detector?

I had a V1 about 6 years ago and received many false alerts. Has the technology improved since that time? Does it have a 'learn' feature now?

I just pre-ordered the 2013 Audi Q5 Supercharged V6 (same engine that is in the S4 for 2012 and 2013) from a dealer in Maryland. S-line trim package in the Prestige level. I also have Audi side assist and heard it has become a problem because of false alerts. Anyone conquered this issue yet and how?

Would the Laser Interceptor be the best option for Laser Jammers available today or do you recommend the Blinder M47 HP or some other brand?

Does anyone know what happened to Lidatek? I heard they had wonderful laser countermeasures but they are no longer in business or at least I can't find them.

Are scanners still being used? It would seem that in the Bull Run and Gumball 3000 they are still utilized a lot.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick reply,

You're in maryland / north east, very little radar is used there, mainly laser. During the day you'll find mostly laser. Maybe some local police might run radar and some highway patrols will run radar at night or while mobile but usually if they're monitoring speed, looking to tag someone, it's laser.

I have a V1 and i'm very close to buying Laser Interceptor. Don't waste time with blinder. V1 still falses a lot, mine is hardwired mounted high to the left of the mirror behind the tint strip. The V1 mirror is very expensive and my V1 would still be mounted up there so no purpose.

Of all the times my V1 went off for actual police laser, only once was i stopped. The other times i was either going the speed limit or not that much above or i was able to spot the LEO shooting laser parked up perpendicular to the road and i was able to lose enough speed before he tagged me (V1 goes off most of the time when tagged with laser)

K40 is junk. Passport 9500ci is ok but it's laser protection is not as good as Laser Interceptor.

If v1 is too noisy for you, go with the 9500. thats what most people do and i believe most people here will agree with all of the above.

Scanners aren't that useful, unless you want to wire up a huge antenna to your car.

Good luck with new Q5!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detectors have very little use nowadays with "instant-on" technology. I stopped using them as it gives a false sense of security. Furthermore cops get very irate when they see a detector in the car, especially if they stop you for speeding. Judges even take cops' non instrument estimates into account as well.

Why not drive the speed limit or of you have to go over do so within limits. Other people are not that attentive on the road and a speeding car can endanger them (and you). This is sadly so...

Old 06-30-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

I use a V1 mounted upper left corner. Works great and pretty much invisible outside the car. I completely disagree about instant on radar. It may start instantly but takes time to lock in a speed to be used in court. If you pay attention and brake as soon as alerted without letting off until below the ticket speed there is no legal evidence for speeding. Confirmed by experience and state trooper neighbor. I do not speed above 9 mph over the limit on purpose and the v1 does a great job keeping me out of trouble.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone here used the Blendmount Custom Radar Mounts? I'm also looking at having the V1 upgraded to the multi-colored display by Radar-mirror. Anyone else have this done? Were you happy with the job?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cmkagen8690
Has anyone here used the Blendmount Custom Radar Mounts? I'm also looking at having the V1 upgraded to the multi-colored display by Radar-mirror. Anyone else have this done? Were you happy with the job?
I find this post (and the previous one)annoying. Of course I drive over the speed limit...I bet most here do. But I do it with care and I don't stand out from the crowd. Never used any type of detector and my last ticket was 1994

Many(maybe most) of those that NEED radar, laser, phaser, sonar, etc. detectors are usually the ones that are going 90 when everyone else is doing 80. Weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, passing on the right with no place to go, squeezing between cars driving at a reasonable pace and causing those behind him to brake, passing in decelleration/acceleration lanes and generally being a nuisance and creating havoc on the roadway. Is this you? If it is, just flash the high beams and I'll move over so you can tailgate the guy that I was following at a safe distance.
If this isn't you, then never mind.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't agree. Those who use radar detectors and other police countermeasures are just being pro-active and driving in a defensive manner. Those who don't use them and who drive 15 mph over the speed limit are taking unnecessary chances by not having enough situational awareness. I don't drive recklessly, I just prefer driving at higher rates of speed while taking into account those around me. I also drive knowing where the other motorist are in my path.

The speed limits here in Maryland have not caught up to 80 mph but some of 95 is now 70 mph on the way to Georgia (where I reside during the fall, winter and spring months) but up north, we have 55 and 65 mph and it seems rather slow for most of us drivers. And yes, during our treks to and from Georgia, we tend to drive over 80 mph. It's a 10 - 12 hour trip depending on the amount of traffic on the road that day.

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I find this post (and the previous one)annoying. Of course I drive over the speed limit...I bet most here do. But I do it with care and I don't stand out from the crowd. Never used any type of detector and my last ticket was 1994

Many(maybe most) of those that NEED radar, laser, phaser, sonar, etc. detectors are usually the ones that are going 90 when everyone else is doing 80. Weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, passing on the right with no place to go, squeezing between cars driving at a reasonable pace and causing those behind him to brake, passing in decelleration/acceleration lanes and generally being a nuisance and creating havoc on the roadway. Is this you? If it is, just flash the high beams and I'll move over so you can tailgate the guy that I was following at a safe distance.
If this isn't you, then never mind.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seriously here in NYC the speed limits are 50mph, everyone is doing at least 65 when possible yet you can be pulled over if you are caught.

Don't even get me started on Jersey. 15-20 over PSL is the normal....no one does PSL on the highway.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Which dealership in MD did you order your 13 Q5? I'm looking to order one myself (for the Mrs.)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cmkagen8690
I don't agree. Those who use radar detectors and other police countermeasures are just being pro-active and driving in a defensive manner. Those who don't use them and who drive 15 mph over the speed limit are taking unnecessary chances by not having enough situational awareness.

SNIP
I had to read this quite a few times to make sure I read what I read.

All I can say is LOL LMAO ROTFLMAO.

Quick Reply: Police countermeasures for the Q5