Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pop Up Camper Towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CGermany
Lemme know what you come up with on the Q5 TDI and Trailer combination. I've almost talked myself back into dropping quite a bit more for the Merc M350 BluTec. It's a lot more towing capacity, but also alot more money and less my style I think. I'm coming from an FX35 that I'm absolutely delighted with...other than the (no) tow rating

Cheers,

Chance
I'm no expert, but what I've gleaned from my searching and the kind advice from this forum, it is far less expensive to order the Q5 with the tow hitch from the factory. It is a "port installed" item, but about half the cost of retrofitting at a dealer....about $1600.00. Some have installed "curt hitches" for far less, and if you'll perform a search on this forum, you'll see what I am writing about. That said, my 2014 Q5 TDI is coming with the tow package from the factory/port.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus23079
Sorry, don't own a VAG yet. But yes, unibodies as a rule can't handle the torque force like a true body-on-frame. Because of that, manufacturers will just say no to WDHs and categorically deny the warranty for anyone who uses them. One could look into Timbren overload springs or rear air shocks. Then at least it won't sag in the back.
i was under the impression that the WDH (weight distribution hitches)only distributes the weight more evenly to the front wheels to prevent the back down nose up type of towing style which is dangerous. cars that do have the auto levelling suspension do not require this because the car can level itself.i know of cars (toyota landcruisers)that have the auto levelling initially had WDH applied but the onboard computer was fighting against the WDH which ended up burning out the computer. Just as an exercise i travelled without WDH and found it very light on the front end and steering, which made me very nervous, but once the car was level it changes the whole attitude of the rig.I tow with a monocoque chassis with 180kg on the ball.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
What is WDH??

Oohh it the bandage over the root cause, the excessive tongue load caused by the trailer axle location.

Any VAG owner knows that NO WDH on Q5, Touareg or Q7 as these are unibody vehicles without ladder frame and the trunk rear wall structure where hitch mounts is not designed to handle the torsion forces the WDH causes.
WDH = Weight Distribution Hitch
just curious , are the Q5,Q7 and touareg cars you get in the USA are they all only air suspension spec cars or do you also get the coil sprung versions as well. the 7 seat Q7 in Australia can tow 3200kg and has a tow ball weight limit of 300kg. i dont consider this excessive since that is what the factory nominate and you would think that it would be a conservative figure on there part.the 5 seat Q7 can tow 3500kg since you dont have to allow for the weight of 2 extra passengers. i,d like to see 2 x 150 kg guys sitting in the 2 rear seats.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mirage350
i was under the impression that the WDH (weight distribution hitches)only distributes the weight more evenly to the front wheels to prevent the back down nose up type of towing style which is dangerous. cars that do have the auto levelling suspension do not require this because the car can level itself.i know of cars (toyota landcruisers)that have the auto levelling initially had WDH applied but the onboard computer was fighting against the WDH which ended up burning out the computer. Just as an exercise i travelled without WDH and found it very light on the front end and steering, which made me very nervous, but once the car was level it changes the whole attitude of the rig.I tow with a monocoque chassis with 180kg on the ball.
Exactly right, a WDH torques the frame to move more of the load to the front wheels to increase steering control and thus safety. I can see where air suspensions and WDHs don't mix. Computers are rather finicky things. Unibodies (i.e. car-based frames) generally can't handle any twisting on their frames, so one is left with either going with a bigger tow rating vehicle, or reducing trailer tongue weight. I use a body-on-frame Nissan Frontier crew cab (6100# tow rating and 125" WB). Towing 3300ish pounds, I never felt any need a for WDH (hardly surprising). For a unibody though, self-leveling air suspension sounds like the best workaround.

And FWIW the OP, CGermany, ended up buying a Porsche Cayenne diesel with its 7716# tow rating. Opened up a lot more RVs for him vs towing with a Q5.