Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is it possible to accidentally lock your key in the Q5? (keyless access)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to accidentally lock your key in the Q5? (keyless access)

The Q5 is my first keyless access car. I frequently leave my keys in my jacket and forget they are in there. Occasionally I'll step out of the car and leave my jacket inside. Can anyone clarify the different scenarios where the key will or will not be locked in the car?

1. Engine is running, Key is inside the cabin, driver steps out of car for X amount of time, does not initiate the door handle lock from outside of the vehicle.

2. Engine is running, Key is inside the cabin, driver steps out of car and does initiate door handle lock from outside of the vehicle.

3. Engine is off, Key is inside the cabin, driver steps out of car for X amount of time, does not initiate door handle lock from outside of the vehicle.

4. Engine is off, Key is inside the cabin, driver steps out of car and does initiate door handle lock from outside of vehicle.
          Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM
          AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. No. You may even find the engine turns itself off as you exit - mine does.

2. Won't lock as key is not present next to the drivers door handle. Again, engine may turn off.

3. No - the only time it auto locks is if you unlock it, then do NOT open the door and walk away. After a few mins it will lock again.

4. As 2.
          Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 AM
          AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

The answer is simple: test yourself all these possibilities
          Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
          AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
          Default Almost impossible to get locked out w/ key inside

Jose covers the scenarios you list. If it were a sedan by the way (at least my A8), you can't mess up by leaving it in a coat pocket or bag you put in the trunk either; car won't lock as long as the key is detected anywhere inside.

About the only way I know to lock the key in the vehicle is to lock it first and then literally stick it through a cracked window or sunroof.

Net, Audi worked through all the usual lockout scenarios and made it pretty darn foolproof.
          Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM
          AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by josedebardi
          1. No. You may even find the engine turns itself off as you exit - mine does
          This behavior can be changed by the dealer (and possibly in VCDS - I haven't looked for it). I found it annoying and the dealer disabled it for me at my request. My engine no longer turns off when the door is opened.
          Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
          AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
          Jose covers the scenarios you list. If it were a sedan by the way (at least my A8), you can't mess up by leaving it in a coat pocket or bag you put in the trunk either; car won't lock as long as the key is detected anywhere inside.

About the only way I know to lock the key in the vehicle is to lock it first and then literally stick it through a cracked window or sunroof.

Net, Audi worked through all the usual lockout scenarios and made it pretty darn foolproof.
          The manual is clear that the trunk will immediately unlock if a key is left inside. It's not clear in the manual if it does the same in the passenger compartment. It even goes on to say do not leave the keys in the car when locking with the advanced key (touch locks). I'll have to try this later.
          Old 01-04-2014, 02:12 PM
          AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
          The manual is clear that the trunk will immediately unlock if a key is left inside. It's not clear in the manual if it does the same in the passenger compartment. It even goes on to say do not leave the keys in the car when locking with the advanced key (touch locks). I'll have to try this later.
          I often lock my other halves key in the car as she leaves it in her coat/bag - the logic the car employs is if there is a key near the exterior of the door then lock on touch, regardless of interior key present. So if you left one key inside and had no key outside it would not lock.
          Old 01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
          AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my only use, leaving the engine running (2014 - tdi) and locking the doors can only be accomplished by physically separating the actual key from the FOB and turning the key hole to lock (like the earlier vehicles with an actual key). When you return to your car it will only unlock with the key, fob will not work.

In my case the engine did not turn off,

All other options are prety smart as described by Jose.

Enjoy,