Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is it possible to "flip" the steering wheel controls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to "flip" the steering wheel controls?

I feel like the Q5 was designed by a leftie.

It annoys me to no end that the thumbwheel on the left side of the steering wheel is used to control lists in the driver information display, and the right is the volume. If I need to be scrolling through lists of small text to choose something (like a song, or a contact, for example) and then click on it, I'd much rather use my right thumb to do it! Volume requires a lot less finesse (to say nothing of the useless "press to make the navigation talk" button), and I would much rather have that in the less-dexterous hand.

Anyone know if it's possible to "flip" these controls left to right? I haven't owned the Q for very long so probably won't be messing with it for now, but I plan on keeping it a long time and would love to do this someday.

As it stands, I use the main MMI controls much more than the steering wheel, which defeats the purpose.

Also, since I'm on the subject, is anyone else bothered by the fact that "next track" is not a one-click operation from the steering wheel? I feel like that would be a much more useful function when clicking the right thumbwheel than making the nav talk.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree 100% with you and when I got in to my first Audi, it bothered me as well and even though I got somewhat used to it, I'll be lying if I tell you that it doesn't bother me. All modification options would be rather expensive, so it's not worth it IMO, but if you're really after it, look into importing the controls and necessary harnesses from UK. Their steering wheel is on the opposite side, so the button placement might be opposite as well.

P.S. tiptronic + & - are messed up too.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM
q5s
Audiworld Junior Member

I comfirm that the controls for the uk are the wrong way round too so no luck there.
I find the buttons absolutely useless and fiddly. Scroll is too little so requires a lot of concentration. The click is very hard to press and sounds very loud as well. No next track/station etc. by the touch of the button.
End result = I only use the volume and go for the console on everything else.

The tiptronic is upside down as well which is why I have went for the paddles which while tiny they do the job better than the upside down gearshift.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^in that case, the only solution would be to get a schematic of the harness and visit an experienced automotive/electronic technician.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5s
I comfirm that the controls for the uk are the wrong way round too so no luck there.
I find the buttons absolutely useless and fiddly. Scroll is too little so requires a lot of concentration. The click is very hard to press and sounds very loud as well. No next track/station etc. by the touch of the button.
End result = I only use the volume and go for the console on everything else.

The tiptronic is upside down as well which is why I have went for the paddles which while tiny they do the job better than the upside down gearshift.
Ah this is sad news! I was having fantasies of importing a UK-spec S-Line steering wheel and curing all my woes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hernan1304
I feel like the Q5 was designed by a leftie.

It annoys me to no end that the thumbwheel on the left side of the steering wheel is used to control lists in the driver information display, and the right is the volume. If I need to be scrolling through lists of small text to choose something (like a song, or a contact, for example) and then click on it, I'd much rather use my right thumb to do it! Volume requires a lot less finesse (to say nothing of the useless "press to make the navigation talk" button), and I would much rather have that in the less-dexterous hand.
You right-handed folks don't even know how good you have it. Finally one for the lefties! I agree about not having a next button. I wish it would also "remember" that I set it to random instead of reverting back to alphabetical order.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

same thing here with the know to open/close the roof, I always tend to want to dial the other way. MMI button and scroll up or down, always go the wrong way too. buttons on the steeringwheel, never use them because yes, they are unnatural and require too much attention. an oooh I wish the nav was a touch-screen wouldve been so much easier!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ooops got troubles with my keyboard now too
Originally Posted by solucien
....same thing here with the **** to open/close the roof.....
Old 03-27-2010, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this...RHD start off on a hill drop the (traditional between the seats) hand brake, use stick shift while you make a turn signal all with your left hand. Oh you might as well get a phone call and turn down the radio at teh same time.. stuff happens.
Am I the only one who has no problem with any of the controls. Yes the MMI initially feels like its rolling the wrong way but it doesnt make any odds. Its only a problem if you think its a problem.

I would like a next channel up/down selector added to steering wheel if possible.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi should modify MMI software to allow user to customize and assign functions to the steering wheel buttons.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to "flip" the steering wheel controls?