Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is it possible to "flip" the steering wheel controls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Playstation
Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of the MMI, it only took a very little time for me to become completely in tune with it. What I would like however is to be able to change the color of the MMI screens. Specifically, I'd like to be able to make the "Radio" screen red vice orange.. Anyone know if this is possible?? is this something that can be done with a VAG-COM code change?

Thanks
-Brian
Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Am I the only one who has no problem with any of the controls. Yes the MMI initially feels like its rolling the wrong way but it doesnt make any odds. Its only a problem if you think its a problem.
I don't have any issue with the way the controls are set up.

Its simple, volume is on the right, everything else is on the left. How hard is that?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrownSeven

Its simple, volume is on the right, everything else is on the left. How hard is that?
Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Am I the only one who has no problem with any of the controls. Yes the MMI initially feels like its rolling the wrong way but it doesnt make any odds. Its only a problem if you think its a problem.

Ditto - Ditto!
I'm in my early 50s - no problem adapting to the MMI, steering wheel controls and all else new to me on the Q5. Never owned nor driven an Audi before the Q.

The same with issues on this forum regarding transmission and the lack of initial 'punch' from a low speed or while merging into fast moving traffic. Its all a matter of adjusting and making changes to your habits.

I just have to floor the accelerator. And once I feel the transmission down shifts (almost instantaneous, I must add), then I ease off a little on the gas and the Q takes off almost like my previous 335coupe. Either that, or I manually downshift to 2nd and it takes off - more fun that way - being interactive and proactive!

Or, just when you know you're gonna have to need to 'take-off", shift to "SPORT" mode. Once you're on your way, put it back to either "NORMAL DRIVE" amd let it up shift normally. Just my opinion, that's all.

Sorry, I digress...
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrownSeven

I agree that it's a simple system to learn, I don't mind the functionality of it, but the placement of the controls just seems backwards. You do get used to it with the main MMI (rotating the **** the "wrong" way), but the steering wheel controls, for me, are a problem. I'm just not as good at scrolling through lists with my left thumb as I would be with my right thumb, and while we're at it I'd also much prefer it if the cruise control stalk were to the right of the steering wheel (as on lexus/toyota cars). Just a preference.