Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Possibly shopping for a Q5; pointers to look for during test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly shopping for a Q5; pointers to look for during test drive?

Hey folks,

I'm debating between the x3 and q5. I keep reviewing the two makes to the point where I'm getting burnt out and the reviews on older q5 (2010-2012) models aren't recent. So, I'd like to see if a few of you can give me your opinions.

I've read a lot about the oil consumption issue and Audi's mostly poor to moderate cust service, which almost deters me right away. However, how often is someone likely to post positive stories vs negative.

I'm currently looking at 2010-2012 q5 models with around 55,000-75,000 miles on them. Should I be staying away in general or be looking for any flags during test drives?

I'm also hoping the vehicle lasts to 150,000. How likely in your opinion is this to happen?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I would say stay away from anything before a 2013 model. Ask your local librarian for a copy of Consumer Reports automobile review issue, they'll have it in the reference stacks. The 2013's signalled major improvements in reliability. The 2010-2012 were less reliable than average and had some serious engine issues. In theory addressed by some service programs, and you can have the service history pulled to see if those were done. But pre-2013, not rated very well.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I would say stay away from anything before a 2013 model. Ask your local librarian for a copy of Consumer Reports automobile review issue, they'll have it in the reference stacks. The 2013's signalled major improvements in reliability. The 2010-2012 were less reliable than average and had some serious engine issues. In theory addressed by some service programs, and you can have the service history pulled to see if those were done. But pre-2013, not rated very well.
People still read that over opinionated garbage? We bought 2011 2.0T Q5 new and sold it last year with 109k miles.
Only issue was oil consumption fixed for free under warranty. That Q5 could have easily done another 100k with proper maintenance.

...and I've had the opposite experience with Audi service. My dealer is very accommodating and rarely has questioned my concerns.
Although my issues have been few and far between while owning our last three Audi's. Not sure where you're reading and where you're located.

Last edited by Audirings4; 10-26-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is opinionated garbage, based on actual polls of readers who are owners, and other hard numbers.
What you, as a statistical sample of "one", have experienced does not say anything about how well the cars were built. If 95% of them were bursting into flames and yours did not, the car would still be an extreme fire risk to anyone else buying one. And eventually perhaps to you.

It wasn't until 2013 that Audi started getting high reliability ratings from pretty much ANY source, IIRC. But you can easily look that up, look at any of the companies that polls owners directly to see how well their cars are performing. They're all opinionated the same way.

And I didn't comment on Audi service here at all, that I can see. The dealer that sold me a car? Patronizing plodding empty heads. I found a Magna Society awarded dealer, that's 3x further from me, where I get treated as an adult and a respected customer instead. They're golden. You get that kind of variation in dealers in pretty much every brand.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
It is opinionated garbage, based on actual polls of readers who are owners, and other hard numbers.
What you, as a statistical sample of "one", have experienced does not say anything about how well the cars were built. If 95% of them were bursting into flames and yours did not, the car would still be an extreme fire risk to anyone else buying one. And eventually perhaps to you.

It wasn't until 2013 that Audi started getting high reliability ratings from pretty much ANY source, IIRC. But you can easily look that up, look at any of the companies that polls owners directly to see how well their cars are performing. They're all opinionated the same way.

And I didn't comment on Audi service here at all, that I can see. The dealer that sold me a car? Patronizing plodding empty heads. I found a Magna Society awarded dealer, that's 3x further from me, where I get treated as an adult and a respected customer instead. They're golden. You get that kind of variation in dealers in pretty much every brand.
I can waste my time reading people's opinion or I can speak from my experience or that of my colleagues. Personal experiences from people in these forums are more valuable then the inflated "truths" you may read in from an institution looking to attract readers.
You state Audi starting receiving awards on their Q5 5 yrs into the initial release of the model ...and 3 yrs into the release of their 2.0T in the platform? No kidding? Your next mind blowing statement would be that the last yr of production was the most reliable.

Point being you need to evaluate each car individually. If you find one that's been taken care of it could last you to 150k.
If you find a good deal on a newer model that's been battered and abused it might not last to 75k. Just don't rely on some publication meant to sell numbers filled with bias opinions and down right ignorant evaluations.
The main problem with CR's reliability ratings is it's all relative and so doesn't tell the reliability (i.e., actual problem rates) of any model. They also spend a lot of time talking about best and worst (the outliers) which misleads readers about the typical size of reliability differences. Lastly, there's the really bad advice to avoid cars with below-average reliability, which ignores materially and the trade-offs between other important factors in the car buying decision.

Last edited by Audirings4; 10-26-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do make sure you look at service history of year you're interested in. Then verify if that year has issues that should have been resolved based on mileage. A big few are oil consumption and timing chain tensioner. As for the test drive itself the only issues you would really "feel' is transmission and suspension smoothness. There are reports of lunging and jerking start / stops of some models. I always look at superficial issues (paint, wear and tear) to determine if the previous owner really cared for the vehicle or just drove it.

As for the dealer, test them out. Call them from home and pretend you have a VW or Audi and need help. Tell them its CPO or bought in a different stat and see how they react. Make up different small issues or big problems and see. Example: Leak in the passenger foot well, do they blame you or non-Audi service, do they want to charge you up front? I found out my dealer is a piece of **** when they wanted to charge me $99 to look at my wife's CPO VW to even determine if its sunroof issue was covered by the CPO warranty. The VW/Audi dealer 30miles away gives way better service than the one 10 miles away from me.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
I can waste my time reading people's opinion or I can speak from my experience or that of my colleagues. Personal experiences from people in these forums are more valuable then the inflated "truths" you may read in from an institution looking to attract readers.
You state Audi starting receiving awards on their Q5 5 yrs into the initial release of the model ...and 3 yrs into the release of their 2.0T in the platform? No kidding? Your next mind blowing statement would be that the last yr of production was the most reliable.

Point being you need to evaluate each car individually. If you find one that's been taken care of it could last you to 150k.
If you find a good deal on a newer model that's been battered and abused it might not last to 75k. Just don't rely on some publication meant to sell numbers filled with bias opinions and down right ignorant evaluations.
The main problem with CR's reliability ratings is it's all relative and so doesn't tell the reliability (i.e., actual problem rates) of any model. They also spend a lot of time talking about best and worst (the outliers) which misleads readers about the typical size of reliability differences. Lastly, there's the really bad advice to avoid cars with below-average reliability, which ignores materially and the trade-offs between other important factors in the car buying decision.
It seems to me that there is room for information from sources like CR, car mags, forums and anecdotal discussions with friends family etc. If someone is shopping for a car they can take it all in, decide what's important to them, and decide which way to go. Or, just find something you like and get it.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

" Your next mind blowing statement would be that the last yr of production was the most reliable."
Really, Monza? And just how do you make that conclusion? Since your personal opinion seems to be the only thing that matters, I'll just add you to the ignore list now. How's that for mindblowing?

Bob, that's an incredibly rational observation you make. It is often SO hard to tell the difference between statisticians and witch doctors. Although, the war paint and fancy head dress USUALLY are good clues.(G)