Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

power surge problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topgun77
By the way, Is your Q5 3.2 TFSI a 2010 production model or a 2009?

One of the very first NA Q5 3.2L FSI

There is no 3.2L TFSI (turbo) Q5 production model as far as I know.

Only 3L gasoline turbo I know is the fast concept Audi made for Wörthersee car show, 408hp 3.0L turbo with 7 speed tranny...

Sure there is 2L and 3L diesel turbo and 2L gasoline turbo available...

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-24-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mistakes.. I meant 3.2FSI
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by topgun77
Hey Kleinbus,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you got everything fixed.

I really need everyone's input for this issue, even if you don't have this issue please post here to confirm that this is only happening in a small scale and that it could be a production issue.
I noticed the same thing today taking my wife to the airport. This started happening AFTER the software update. I noticed the car felt like I was lightly pressing on and off the gas pedel. I don't quite get how a software engineer can screw that up so bad.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcw7w6
I noticed the same thing today taking my wife to the airport. This started happening AFTER the software update. I noticed the car felt like I was lightly pressing on and off the gas pedel. I don't quite get how a software engineer can screw that up so bad.
What did they update on your car? Just MMI or did you get also something else?

Let the dealer know you have issue with cruise so at least they know about you. Rather take it their shop and ask them to fix it so there will be enough complains and they start nagging to NA Audi...

Anyways,

Mine got MMI and software update required by hitch installation.

Once I got involved European airport De-Icing truck speed control and we had similar issues with preprogrammed speed control.

Either servo actuates too fast or too slow and it took weeks test driving around dedicated spot at the airport (to do it at its own environment) and slowly changing setting direction or other.

Sounds simple but I'm talking about 0.01 second reaction times omputer gave to actuator. When we started it was way too fast and added gas -> went too fast -> slowed down -> accelerated again and you know the rest.

This new power surge issue is so light that makes me wonder did they only test it with loaded car and could not feel it...

All I can say is that Audi engineers are UNO GRAND PUTA (something nice in Spanish) and they seem a bit incompetent to do their job and I feel sorry for our dealers as we dump our anger to them no matter they did not write the program.

I took my Q5 back to dealer today (got service last Friday) and I really hope they are able to fix it so I could finally say something nice to them and not just be bitching about the problems...

I'm so pissed off when we have to pay to be guinea bigs and NA Audi just ignores the problems

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-24-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
What did they update on your car? Just MMI or did you get also something else?

Let the dealer know you have issue with cruise so at least they know about you. Rather take it their shop and ask them to fix it so there will be enough complains and they start nagging to NA Audi...

Anyways,

Mine got MMI and software update required by hitch installation.

Once I got involved European airport De-Icing truck speed control and we had similar issues with preprogrammed speed control.

Either servo actuates too fast or too slow and it took weeks test driving around dedicated spot at the airport (to do it at its own environment) and slowly changing setting direction or other.

Sounds simple but I'm talking about 0.01 second reaction times omputer gave to actuator. When we started it was way too fast and added gas -> went too fast -> slowed down -> accelerated again and you know the rest.

This new power surge issue is so light that makes me wonder did they only test it with loaded car and could not feel it...

All I can say is that Audi engineers are UNO GRAND PUTA (something nice in Spanish) and they seem a bit incompetent to do their job and I feel sorry for our dealers as we dump our anger to them no matter they did not write the program.

I took my Q5 back to dealer today (got service last Friday) and I really hope they are able to fix it so I could finally say something nice to them and not just be bitching about the problems...

I'm so pissed off when we have to pay to be guinea bigs and NA Audi just ignores the problems
just got the 91e6 update... nothing else. I will call Audi North America about the problem this week. Is calling Audi NA better then contacting the dealer directly?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does this only happen when you're using cruise control or during normal driving?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DavidSG
Does this only happen when you're using cruise control or during normal driving?

Mine (and as far as I know also the rest) is when cruise control is activated.

Via pedal is as mooth as your cramp

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-25-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcw7w6
.... will call Audi North America about the problem this week....

Yep give heat and crap directly to NA Audi but also let your dealer know you have cruise issue now after update.

Mind sharing the number so we can keep phone lines hot after you

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-25-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Yep give heat and crap directly to NA Audi but also let your dealer know you have cruise issue now after update.

Mind sharing the number so we can keep phone lines hot after you
To ALL NA Audi Q5 enthusiasts:

I would like to know how many of you have the power surge issue during cruise control. If you don't have this issue, please also post here so that I know this is only happening in a small scale.

If you haven't tried the cruise control yet, please try it out and let us know if you have the power surge issue.

Thank you everyone!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey topgun77, I actually haven't experienced this issue myself (2010 3.2FSI)

Quick Reply: power surge problems