Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Prospective owner cold feet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective owner cold feet?

So I fell in love with the q5, how it looked, etc so when I finally got a chance to drive the 2.0t engine in the 2011 I was hooked and made a deal on a q5 that should hit Houston on the 17th.

So as I anxiously wait I do even more research on this site and others and start to read the problems people have had with the q5. I did a fair amount of research before but maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see. Now I am seeing lots of reports of things such as.
- heavy oil usage
- water pumps going out early

Those are the big two. I read other complaints but those seem more owner preference than those two which I would consider unacceptable for a new car. I also am aware the internet is full of complainers. few waste their time talking up a product but people can't wait to have their 'voice heard' on a complaint.

I'm a lifelong honda/acura owner who has had zero problems with 4 of them. this will be my first German made vehicle.

So am I just getting cold feet or are there real issues here?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your Q5 will come with the newly design water pump and heavy oil usage can happen in any car. With that said, Hondas and generally more reliable than Audi. If you are looking for a car as reliable as your Honda and you bought an Audi, you should have cold feet
Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Reliability is relative, for driving pleasure, quality and refinement the Q5 stands out from the crowd. I'm at 63,000km and counting with no mechanical problems whatsoever - great vehicle!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds good. I'm sure ill love it, the wait is playing tricks on my mind. I am pretty comfortable with the decision but wanted to get the question out there based on a few things I had read.

Hondas do have great reliability but I know others who have had all sorts of problems.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Acura owner as well, and this is our first German car. I initially had the same concerns, but as mentioned here, the Q5 does definitely stand out from the competition. Truedelta.com has some good stats, and yes, the Audis have a bit more reliability issues than the Japanese makes, but not enough to dissuade me from ordering one.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the same boat with DrV, my 09 haves 37000 miles on it already and no oil nor waterpump issues.

Like others have said already, all brands have their apples and lemons.

There is more happy drivers who doesn't even know about these forums and only small % signs up to here to find solutions or to complain or what ever.

Now I'm going to shut up and go drive more, that's what cars are for...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Firstly, the Q5 is a fantastic vehicle and every time you start the engine and drive it, you'll realize how boring the Acura/Honda cars are. They're really great cars and absolutely reliable, but boring. I've owned them.

Secondy, people vent and search for help or support online. In customer service, clients would write a complaint letter 25 times before writing a complimentary one. Good things and service are expected.

Given that, how many complaints out of the 14,000 2009 Q5s sold did you hear about? All issues should have been taken care of by the warranty anyway AND it's a first-year vehicle.

If it makes you feel any better, go and drive a loaded Honda Pilot ($42K! No xenons or LEDs) and see how you feel...

If I were you, I'd be excited as hell.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh I am excited and I did state the disclaimer of the internet being full of the complainers. That's a given. I just needed the confirmation everybody has provided to get me level. Thanks.

Honda pilot. Lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krftwrk
Firstly, the Q5 is a fantastic vehicle and every time you start the engine and drive it, you'll realize how boring the Acura/Honda cars are. They're really great cars and absolutely reliable, but boring. I've owned them.

Secondy, people vent and search for help or support online. In customer service, clients would write a complaint letter 25 times before writing a complimentary one. Good things and service are expected.

Given that, how many complaints out of the 14,000 2009 Q5s sold did you hear about? All issues should have been taken care of by the warranty anyway AND it's a first-year vehicle.

If it makes you feel any better, go and drive a loaded Honda Pilot ($42K! No xenons or LEDs) and see how you feel...

If I were you, I'd be excited as hell.
+1, My 2010 Q5, is one year old and I still marvel at the technology that has gone into it, the way it handles and performs! I'm excited as hell every time I drive it...no problems at all!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Like others have said already, all brands have their apples and lemons.
Thats a good way to put it. A relaible brand only means that they make more apples than a less reliable brand, it doesnt mean the car you end up with will be an apple. It just means that you have better odd in buying an apple than a lemon, but its still a gamble.

Quick Reply: Prospective owner cold feet?