Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Prospective owner cold feet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 year ;-)

Okay, this morning I thought about creating a new thread. I wanted to call it "1 year Q5 - FUN". Seeing this thread I thought I can save a thread and just add my comment here.

We own the Q5 now for 1 year. Happy Birthday! For those following my comments here since day one you know how I feel. It is my 3rd Audi but the first time I purchased one new. The dealer (Pfaff in Vaughan) is excellent so far. It is a great car, cool and fun to drive. It just fits us! Hey, it brought us luck - but no details about it here ;-) We could not be happier. The only issue I have is with the brakes (they are too loud - creaking noise). Yes, I had the injector issue but it was fixed under warranty. Other than that - FANTASTIC. I was a bit nervous and anxious in the first couple of months too and over critical of each rattle and sound (if there were any). But I finally relaxed. And I agree i.e. what Kleinbus says, you will mainly here people venting about problems or asking for help when they have a problem. I came to understand this too!

Cheers
Flogsta

Last edited by flogsta; 08-11-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like the idea Flogsta!

My Q5's 1 year "birthday" was July 27th (delivery date)
My ranking is 98% positive & 2% minor irritationsFun to drive, I mean FUN! I drive a lot for work and had the intention to "save" some miles by using our Jetta TDI for longer hauls, but I just couldn't! The Q takes me everywhere to work, weekend family getaways and vacations. The miles pile up, but what the heck. It's SUCH a great ride.It looks great and turns heads, it is practical with enough room to haul stuff, has comfy seats and is spacious enough for my needs.Surprisingly good fuel economy, especially on the highway and also handles surprisingly well for an SUV compared to the A4 I had before

Very few drawbacks - wish it was available with the 3.0L TDI engine (sigh), wish the S-line came with other trim options like carbon-fiber or titanium instead of aluminum, wish sport seats were an option, wish the NAV database was better, oh yea how about incorporating a neat graphic display audio level equalizer on the MMI display?? THAT would be sooo cool!
Only a couple of minor issues - DRL's went out and were replaced under warrantee, convenience entry door sensors were replaced under warrantee (dealer scratched the paint on the door and fixed it)
I'm glad I took the Audi Care option - hassle free services!
It takes a while to adjust to any new car and the Q5 is no different. At first the MMI is intimidating and may seem complex, but after a while it becomes second nature to navigate and seems really simple - now I wish there was even more to it.
Some advice for prospective buyers - your'e probably going to like this vehicle so much, your'e going to want to keep it for a while - stock up on the options, it makes the car more fun!
Everyone, enjoy your Q5's and drive safe!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well you all have effectively squashed that tiny bit of doubt I had when I posted this....and now even more anxious for 2 weeks to fly by.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=kleinbus;24017464]I'm on the same boat with DrV, my 09 haves 37000 miles on it already and no oil nor waterpump issues.

And you shouldn't have oil issues because you don't have a 2.0T.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 1-year passed recently on 7/30 and I now have over 19,500 miles on the clock.

Gotta say that I was a little worried getting the first model year (2009, PP). But so far, I'm really happy with the Q5. It drives very well for an SUV, sporty enough even though it's an SUV, looks great, is comfortable for long drives, not too noisy (relative to a truck-based SUV), and can still tow 2 motorbikes. Plus a lot of thoughtful features. Couldn't ask for more.

Granted, I did have both my LED running lights go out which the dealer replaced under warranty, but I haven't had any major issues (knock on wood). Of course, any car has a few issues - water inside trunk door after hard rain (DIY fix), low speed shudder/braking jerk (gotten better with mileage), and the like. But they certainly don't stop me from enjoying the Q5.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krftwrk
If it makes you feel any better, go and drive a loaded Honda Pilot ($42K! No xenons or LEDs) and see how you feel...
Or even worst is the Toyota Highlander, the worst handling SUV on the planet
Old 08-12-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I take offense to that! It's not my cup of tea but there are some aspects of the Highlander I like.
Now the Mazda CX-9 on the other hand...
Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
got rid of a 2001 highlander to get a Q5....
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
And you shouldn't have oil issues because you don't have a 2.0T.
RCM09:
What kind of issues does the 2.0T have? I'm still on the edge choosing between the 2.0T and 3.2. Figured the 2.0T is a good and powerful engine - good enough if you do not intend to upgrade it with a radar detector.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 2.0T in my wife's 09' A4 consumes oil. With hers it's about a quart every 5000 miles. Not an outrages amount but... obviously not going to make it to Audi's recomended oil change interval of 10,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Prospective owner cold feet?