Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Protective films ... aka clear bras

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Protective films ... aka clear bras

I thought best to begin a different thread on this topic, which had begun here.

Originally Posted by HadoukenZR
Was it a custom full install or pre-cut kit? If it was a full custom install then $600 is helluva deal.

$1295 was the cheapest I could find that still had good reviews for a custom install. ...)
Regarding clear protective films, my dealership just called to let me know it isn't something they do, but were familiar with a couple of shops that did. However, they did mention some of these coming back to their shop (for whatever reason), and they weren't impressed with how long the film lasted(?)

Is there a particular service or film type that should be avoided?

TIA
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rarewolf

Regarding clear protective films, my dealership just called to let me know it isn't something they do, but were familiar with a couple of shops that did. However, they did mention some of these coming back to their shop (for whatever reason), and they weren't impressed with how long the film lasted(?)

TIA
there is always the good and bad about clear bra, clear bra often fades and discolor over a period of time in the sun. Clear bra does help protect from rock chips. Do a lot of research before using clear bras
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rarewolf

TIA
I haven't done any research on this for several years, but the 3M clear film I had installed 7 years ago looks as good as the day it was installed. Of course, I always wash my own car by hand. So I'm please with the results, but before I would do it again, I would survey Q5 owners about issues from paint chips, bug juice, etc. Some cars are more prone to these issues given their design and paint.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I've been using them for years without any issue. 3M recommends periodic waxing, which I do once a year. I could imagine that there could be heat/sun damage in places like TX. In NFLD it should last a lifetime. My mom had used 3M on a '97 Volvo which she sold last year. It had yellowed, but it was never looked after properly. The longest I've ever owned a vehicle with 3M was on a 2002 Maxima which looked like new 5 years after it was applied.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
there is always the good and bad about clear bra, clear bra often fades and discolor over a period of time in the sun. Clear bra does help protect from rock chips. Do a lot of research before using clear bras
Good point. The 3M clear bra I've had for 7 years is on a black car, so fading really isn't an issue. As I recall, 3M warranties it for 5 years. My car is garage kept, which almost certainly has extended its life. You probably want to consider how the car is driven. Obviously the benefit is with highway, not city driving. Also, keep in mind that the edge of the film will be more noticeable over darker color paint, and small imperfections during the application (there are always a few) will show up. I considered these to be less objectionable than paint chips, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited by sq5wantabe; 03-26-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had it on mine for about 3 yrs now. The hood is just starting to yellow a bit. The mirror fronts, bumper, headlight and fogs, door handle cups, and rear bumper(only 6 months old) still look good to me. All film except for the rear bumper is 3M, the rear is Expel. The installer is a mobile guy who does the local porsche dealer.
He said he has been seeing some yellowing of the older 3M and the company is honoring warranty.

The Headlights are a big thing for me as the lenses don't get that highway sandblasted damage to them over time. The door handle cups are nice to have protected from scratching. The hood has palpable little dents in the film from rocks which never penetrated the film. I use a detail spray to wipe crap off and wax like others mentioned occasionally.

It actually cut on the cost of a bumper repair after my wife swiped a parked car TRYING TO AVOID A CAT. The film took all the rubber/paint smearing. The film was just peeled of and the surface was unharmed.

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stay away from the original 3M if possible. Get http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...VentureShield/

3M bought the Venture Shield company a few years back, and this product is a ton better. If you have a white car this is very clear vs 3M that has a tint to it. I have the bra on all my cars and wouldn't have a car without it. I pay around $650 for 18" on the hood and complete bumper and lights and mirrors. I do this on my Outback.That is a good deal. For my Audi S5 I get the same but the complete hood @ $800.. Zero cuts or seams on either car. They do a one piece on the bumper. Make sure they increase the size 1/2 inch on the cutting machine and rap it under and tuck in where possible. Doing it this way will prevent dirt from getting on the edge.
Attached Images   

Last edited by wreck111; 03-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sq5wantabe
Good point. The 3M clear bra I've had for 7 years is on a black car, so fading really isn't an issue. As I recall, 3M warranties it for 5 years. My car is garage kept, which almost certainly has extended its life. You probably want to consider how the car is driven. Obviously the benefit is with highway, not city driving. Also, keep in mind that the edge of the film will be more noticeable over darker color paint, and small imperfections during the application (there are always a few) will show up. I considered these to be less objectionable than paint chips, but your mileage may vary.
that's true. If you keep your car in a garage out of the Sun will give the bra a longer life span. But if your car is always in direct sunlight the bra will have a greater chance of fading. . it is very noticeable on a white car cuz of the dirt build up between that fine line with the bra and paint.

for me I love the smooth gliding of my hands across the car after a waxing job lol that's just me. I get alittle annoyed if I feel a defect on the paint like a bra will do. lol
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wreck111
Stay away from the original 3M if possible. Get http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...VentureShield/
My problem exactly
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default How vulnerable is the Q5 to paint chips?

Of the folks that don't have the clear bra and do considerable highway driving, have paint chips been a problem with the Q5?

Quick Reply: Protective films ... aka clear bras