Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Protective films ... aka clear bras

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sq5wantabe
Of the folks that don't have the clear bra and do considerable highway driving, have paint chips been a problem with the Q5?
+1. I used to have a Murano and the front end got pretty chewed up with little chips and stuff and am considering a clear bra.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by golfnguitarz
+1. I used to have a Murano and the front end got pretty chewed up with little chips and stuff and am considering a clear bra.
One thing that might mitigate the need for a clear bra with the Q5 is the large, upright grill. There really isn't a lot of painted surface area up front. Aerodynamics is also a factor, but hard to judge, which is why anecdotal evidence might be very useful. Some vehicles resists pit marks better than others. And although no one hopes to repaint the front end or hood of their vehicle, we could probably repaint those sections for the cost clear bra if needed.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Of the folks that don't have the clear bra and do considerable highway driving, have paint chips been a problem with the Q5?
I think the answer to this question is not if it's a problem... but rather when !
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

There is Audi genuine protection

Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

I would look into the Xpel Ultimate. It's considered one of the best paint protection films on the market. I have this on our A4 and just had it installed on the Q5. It's very hard to see on the car unless the car is dirty or catch it at certain angles. As someone who does a lot of highway driving (around 25k mi/year), I regretted not doing it on my previous cars. The front end would get chipped up, sandblasted and dull looking (bumper especially) within a couple of years.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Before the Q5 my daily driver was a Toyota FJ, I went through three windshields in five years with additional repairs in between the replacements (the windshield is straight up and down and rocks do not bounce off) with clear coat on the front of the FJ I had no issues with stone damage. I had clear coat put on by the dealer before I ever took delivery of the Q5.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by normp
Before the Q5 my daily driver was a Toyota FJ, I went through three windshields in five years with additional repairs in between the replacements (the windshield is straight up and down and rocks do not bounce off) with clear coat on the front of the FJ I had no issues with stone damage. I had clear coat put on by the dealer before I ever took delivery of the Q5.
I'm sorry but I am confused. The last couple of posts have mentioned:
- clear coat by the dealer
- Audi genuine protection
- Xpel

Are these all different products? Do all dealers offer them?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't speak for the clear coat, but the last 2 (one mentioned by Spijun as Audi genuine protection - which is a stone guard protection film [see the highlighted area on the right of the picture], and Xpel Ultimate mentioned by GDawgA4) are different brands of paint protection films applied to the front area of the vehicle (typically what your eyes see head-on from a 2 feet eye level), which may include the bumper, headlights/foglights, side mirrors, and a portion of the hood.

The film is usually offered by dealers (at a significant markup as they contract out the work) and local independent shops that do tinting/vinyl work (which most dealers use anyways). Different brands have their own characteristics (thickness/finish/warranty/etc.) so I would research what brands are offered by nearby shops and the shop's reputation before making the leap. I would do it through the dealer if there weren't any other choices.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had 3m scotchgard paint protection film installed on the front bumper, head lights and the rear bumper sill. It came out very nice. I never notice it is there. After my wife's Mini Cooper got its front destroyed by highway miles I will always invest the money to protect the front of my cars.

I can't quote on the price because I also got 3M Crystalline Windows tint on front two windows and pano roof. It all came out to $950 and was well worth it.

I would recommend finding a reputable 3rd party installer with good reviews or certified by the company who makes the product you want. They will usually give you better service and save a bit of money.