Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q 5 2.0 or 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When we bought our Q5 I test drove both and the 2.0T felt better to me on the test drive. We did not drive the TDI purely due to cost. Even when ordering though, I felt as though I should get the 3.0T due to the available power. Most of my vehicles have been 300HP+ and I'm just use to having it on tap. We were buying our car cash so the extra few K lower cost did make it easier going with the 2.0T.

After nearly 2 years of ownership this is what I can honestly say:

- The 2.0T is fine for our needs.
- I still wonder if I should have just ponied up the extra $ for the 3.0T sometimes.
- Had I gotten the 3.0T, I'm guessing I wouldn't be wondering about the 2.0T.
- The gas mileage is only slightly better on the 2.0T - I never get the published mileage - probably due to how I drive, which makes me think more the 3.0T may have been better for me personally.

It really does depend on personal preference. But this is what I will end with: If the price difference doesn't matter, and the potential premium for additional fuel doesn't matter, just get the 3.0T. You won't second guess yourself later but with the 2.0T you might.

As an aside: I've had Q5 TDIs as loaners and they always put a smile on my face. I wish I would have considered originally but it was a ~$6K premium when we purchased.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a 2.0 as a loaner a couple of times. It's painfully under imo.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to drive them, no other way. For me, it's like driving 2 different cars. The 3.0T is much more refined, smoother, effortless even for everyday driving. The 2.0T feels lighter and a bit more nimble, but every time I've had a 2.0T loaner, it just feels like a big downgrade in vehicle -- louder (and it's not a refined, "better" louder...), rougher, & the turbo lag drives me crazy. Both have the same transmissions in the ZF8, but the much lower gearing in the 2.0T (to get the 4400lbs moving respectably with the smaller engine...) makes it a rougher ordeal in 1st and 2nd gear vs the 3.0T.

Regarding economy, the only fair comparison I have IMO is on my daily commute with similar driving conditions. With Stop-Start enabled on my 3.0T, and driving normally, I see little, if any difference between the couple 2.0T loaners and mine in terms of MPG. I don't doubt that at steady, 60-70mph, highway cruising the 2.0T will be better, but that's almost never the case for me with suburban/rural, mixed with some stop and go. For reference, I usually average 22-23mpg on my 3.0T if I'm doing nothing but commuting and keeping my foot out of it. The 2.0T loaners have been about the same, but with added frustration of feeling like I'm having to push it into boost and lower gears to keep up.

I'm purposely staying away from discussing the performance differences and MPG related to that because if you're hammering the 3.0T routinely, it will get some scary low numbers. A tune probably doesn't help that since you get more boost more often if you want it I do tend to have a Jekyl and Hyde driving personality depending on if I'm following the commuter line of vehicles on my way to work (no opportunity to do anything but that...) or out for some fun on a weekend.

At the end of the day, I don't see that the 2.0T is ever going to be less efficient than the 3.0T so if there's nothing substantially different between the 2 when you drive them, save the cash. But, as someone else said, if your on the fence and don't get the 3.0T, you'll likely always wonder why you didn't.

I personally love the 3 engine choices in the Q5. It's a very rare find nowadays that a company will go through the trouble of providing something for everyone rather than compromising everything to the middle so nobody is satisfied.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
For reference, I usually average 22-23mpg on my 3.0T if I'm doing nothing but commuting and keeping my foot out of it.
We get about 16-17 mpg on typical commute. Granted, for us this means very short trips (3-4 miles) where the engine is almost always below normal operating temp.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.0T brakes from 60-0mph 10 feet shorter than 2.0T. Of course the 3.0T will get you into more trouble where you'll need that extra stopping power.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jms_w
The 3.0T brakes from 60-0mph 10 feet shorter than 2.0T. Of course the 3.0T will get you into more trouble where you'll need that extra stopping power.
That's a very insightful stat. Those tuning their engines should consider tuning their brakes accordingly.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.0 here. No regrets. The set up meets our needs. Low mileage, conservative drivers. The new gen should have 252hp and be a little lighter weight which will be nice. As others have said drive 'em both and see which one fits you best.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I own one of each, and as much as I enjoyed driving the 2.0T I handed that one down to my wife (it was my turn for a new car, lucky me) and got the 3.0TFSI.

With the 2.0 mashing the accelerator from a dead stop had enough turbo lag to frustrate me. I don't have that problem with the 3.0.

The lifetime gas mileage on the 2.0 is 24.7 after 50K miles. After 15K miles on the 3.0 the lifetime mpg is 23.5. That's driving the same route to work in both cars for most of that mileage on the 2.0 which is now driven by my wife so it's gone up .2 from 24.5 when I drove it.

The 2.0 is plenty peppy once it gets rolling and I added a Unitronic Stage 1 tune which put a smile on my wife's face. The 3.0 is a whole different animal with the supercharger hum under the hood. With the minor difference in gas mileage and major difference in performance, the 3.0 is my hands-down recommendation.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

My wife and I chose a 2.0. It was cheaper to buy, should be cheaper to own and cheaper to repair over time. I like the 250 pounds lighter, makes for a very nimble feeling.
We have had a lot of higher horsepower BMW's and do not drive as aggressively as we once did. The 2.0 mated to the eight speed trans does a very good job of keeping the 2.0 in its power band.
I might chip/tune it sometime down the line because it would be such an easy mod, but in the meantime we are very happy with the performance.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a 2.0T 2014. I agree with Samps below. I didn't look at a TDI at all as I do mainly short trips. Did consider a 3.0 but I would have had to have gone to another dealer to drive one.

I find the 2.0 just enough for power. Normally I trade my cars after warranty+1 year but if, as reported here, the new Q5 is going to be an FWD truck with AWD turning on sometimes then , assuming the current car stays reliable maybe just a reflash from APR the day the warranty ends and keep it longer.

Quick Reply: Q 5 2.0 or 3.0