Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q 5 2.0 or 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by timlocke
I bought a 2.0T 2014. I agree with Samps below. I didn't look at a TDI at all as I do mainly short trips. Did consider a 3.0 but I would have had to have gone to another dealer to drive one.

I find the 2.0 just enough for power. Normally I trade my cars after warranty+1 year but if, as reported here, the new Q5 is going to be an FWD truck with AWD turning on sometimes then , assuming the current car stays reliable maybe just a reflash from APR the day the warranty ends and keep it longer.
Love that statement ..............

"the new Q5 is going to be an FWD truck with AWD turning on sometimes ".

Sooo true!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, as usual, great info here. I have the 2014 2.OT and am tinkering with possibly trading it in:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...trade-2896354/
I do like my 2.O engine and rarely "need" more power, but wanted to get a feel for the 3.OT so I went back to my dealer and gave it a try - on a few mile strecth of highway. Yep, smoother and more powerful - but to be expected in a larger engine. What I did not know until we came back to the dealership was that the Sports package has "drive select" and I did not know which mode I was riding and did not get to try the different modes out and even though the salesman offered to take it out again, time was limited this morning.
Looks like I will be heading back to go on another test run and playing with the different modes aasI think that's just might be a nice option.
But whatever "mode" I was in, both the 2.0T and 3.OT have their virtues.

Last edited by bob m; 02-23-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Well, as usual, great info here. I have the 2014 2.OT and am tinkering with possibly trading it in:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...trade-2896354/
I do like my 2.O engine and rarely "need" more power, but wanted to get a feel for the 3.OT so I went back to my dealer and gave it a try - on a few mile strecth of highway. Yep, smoother and more powerful - but to be expected in a larger engine. What I did not know until we came back to the dealership was that the Sports package has "drive select" and I did not know which mode I was riding and did not get to try the different modes out and even though the salesman offered to take it out again, time was limited this morning.
Looks like I will be heading back to go on another test run and playing with the different modes aasI think that's just might be a nice option.
But whatever "mode" I was in, both the 2.0T and 3.OT have their virtues.
Bob, it sounds that you like the Q5 and want to get a new one before the Mexico Unknown next gen Q5 is released.
Go for whatever you are happy with.........

I have owned a few Audi's over the years and it looks like this is my last, I don't like what they are doing to the next generation, especially the Quattro system, S-tronic trans, etc.
I also have a 2014 Honda CRV for the other part of the family and I'm fine with that also. My next SUV just may be a Lincoln MKX, I like the ride.....please don't laugh!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
You have to drive them, no other way. For me, it's like driving 2 different cars. The 3.0T is much more refined, smoother, effortless even for everyday driving. The 2.0T feels lighter and a bit more nimble, but every time I've had a 2.0T loaner, it just feels like a big downgrade in vehicle -- louder (and it's not a refined, "better" louder...), rougher, & the turbo lag drives me crazy. Both have the same transmissions in the ZF8, but the much lower gearing in the 2.0T (to get the 4400lbs moving respectably with the smaller engine...) makes it a rougher ordeal in 1st and 2nd gear vs the 3.0T.

Regarding economy, the only fair comparison I have IMO is on my daily commute with similar driving conditions. With Stop-Start enabled on my 3.0T, and driving normally, I see little, if any difference between the couple 2.0T loaners and mine in terms of MPG. I don't doubt that at steady, 60-70mph, highway cruising the 2.0T will be better, but that's almost never the case for me with suburban/rural, mixed with some stop and go. For reference, I usually average 22-23mpg on my 3.0T if I'm doing nothing but commuting and keeping my foot out of it. The 2.0T loaners have been about the same, but with added frustration of feeling like I'm having to push it into boost and lower gears to keep up.

I'm purposely staying away from discussing the performance differences and MPG related to that because if you're hammering the 3.0T routinely, it will get some scary low numbers. A tune probably doesn't help that since you get more boost more often if you want it I do tend to have a Jekyl and Hyde driving personality depending on if I'm following the commuter line of vehicles on my way to work (no opportunity to do anything but that...) or out for some fun on a weekend.

At the end of the day, I don't see that the 2.0T is ever going to be less efficient than the 3.0T so if there's nothing substantially different between the 2 when you drive them, save the cash. But, as someone else said, if your on the fence and don't get the 3.0T, you'll likely always wonder why you didn't.

I personally love the 3 engine choices in the Q5. It's a very rare find nowadays that a company will go through the trouble of providing something for everyone rather than compromising everything to the middle so nobody is satisfied.
Well said, and matches my experiences as well.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Bob, it sounds that you like the Q5 and want to get a new one before the Mexico Unknown next gen Q5 is released.
Go for whatever you are happy with.........

I have owned a few Audi's over the years and it looks like this is my last, I don't like what they are doing to the next generation, especially the Quattro system, S-tronic trans, etc.
I also have a 2014 Honda CRV for the other part of the family and I'm fine with that also. My next SUV just may be a Lincoln MKX, I like the ride.....please don't laugh!

Yes, I do like the Q; and yes, the future of 2017's and a bit beyond is concerning - and losing the cache of Germany/Hungary to Mexico is also a questionable move - at least in the short run before things settle down. But I will spend the next week or so checking out the competition - X3, GLC and even took the Macan S for a quick drive.

Now, the Macan - even in the "basic" S model with very limited amenities goes for 63k + tax. And so it's really not a apples to apples comparison, but I heard so much good press I had to give it a ride. And what ride it was, tight as can be, fit and finish and a lot of wow factor looks and handling. But swinging that much coin is really pushing my $$$ limits. And when I hear about $300.00+ for an oil change and I'm sure other crazy maintenance numbers, I have to stand back and take a reality check.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, have you looked at the Volvo XC90? I looked at one this morning and was not disappointed. It's a nice vehicle and you don't see too many of them on the road vs. the big German brands. I'm not sure if it will be on my radar but it might be worth a look.

And as usual, as I got back in my Q5 (after getting complimented by the Volvo rep on the condition) and drove away, I'm thinking, why in the hell am I out here looking at other cars? That will pass and I'll be back out in a few days.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Bob, have you looked at the Volvo XC90? I looked at one this morning and was not disappointed. It's a nice vehicle and you don't see too many of them on the road vs. the big German brands. I'm not sure if it will be on my radar but it might be worth a look.

And as usual, as I got back in my Q5 (after getting complimented by the Volvo rep on the condition) and drove away, I'm thinking, why in the hell am I out here looking at other cars? That will pass and I'll be back out in a few days.
Bob, no I haven't. As I remember they are a bit bigger than the Q5's but as I was looking at Q's years ago, I did like the Volvo XC60 - at least the looks. I haven't heard good things about reliability also - at least as of a few years ago.
I also echo your sentiments about liking the new drives, but when I get back in my Q5, I say exactly the same thing about spending time looking/testing other cars, when I'm already sitting in a winner. Maybe the grass is always, or rather more correctly, can be greener, on the other side, or maybe just to confirm I made the right choice 2 years ago?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Bob, no I haven't. As I remember they are a bit bigger than the Q5's but as I was looking at Q's years ago, I did like the Volvo XC60 - at least the looks. I haven't heard good things about reliability also - at least as of a few years ago.
I also echo your sentiments about liking the new drives, but when I get back in my Q5, I say exactly the same thing about spending time looking/testing other cars, when I'm already sitting in a winner. Maybe the grass is always, or rather more correctly, can be greener, on the other side, or maybe just to confirm I made the right choice 2 years ago?
Good catch. I meant the XC60, and agree that the reliability seems a bit sketchy. I sat in a XC90 and the interior was as good as advertised. Beautiful.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob

If one is worried about an Audi made in Mexico, what would one think about a Volvo made in China? Because that is where they are now made.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
If one is worried about an Audi made in Mexico, what would one think about a Volvo made in China? Because that is where they are now made.
Are you sure they are made in China? I thought thye are still made in Sweden but own by Chinese?

Quick Reply: Q 5 2.0 or 3.0