Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0 - why no prestige option

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 2.0 - why no prestige option

lame... why can't I have prestige option with 2.0 engine. I love the engine and the transmission, but it's super lame that I can't get the same options as 3.2 (push to start, premium package etc). All the better techy gizmos are not available.

I don't buy the "2.0" is down market crap.

Looks like I will continue to hold out. My FX35 is aging well, so will check again next year.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by szuszu
lame... why can't I have prestige option with 2.0 engine. I love the engine and the transmission, but it's super lame that I can't get the same options as 3.2 (push to start, premium package etc). All the better techy gizmos are not available.

I don't buy the "2.0" is down market crap.

Looks like I will continue to hold out. My FX35 is aging well, so will check again next year.
in Belgium you can get a "full loaded" 2,0, either diesel or petrol
the 3,2 is outphased and nobody buy it anymore
no doubt the trend will stretch to the US !
for years I was against diesels, but I must now agree the engines fit perfect in the traffic nowadays
more torque and much less fuel... and relaxed way of driving
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing you are giving up is the advanced key and side assist - and the fancy cupholder. Everything else is the same technology wise as the 3.2

I'm not sure why Audi is so proud of that stupid push buttom start on cars. It was a $500 upgrade on the A6 5 years ago.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The justification is simply a marketing decision. They have an inventory of 3.2L engines, they want to sell them, and this is how they'll do it. I understand your desire, but from Audi's perspective they have to work through supply, make money, and set the different engines and configurations apart.

The Prestige package is designed for the folks that want all the toys and aren't as flummoxed by the price. In the US it gets you the MMI & NAV already, the Audi side assist, the thermo cupholder, the advanced key with the start/stop button, and the side-swivelling headlights.

I drove both engines back to back before deciding I liked them both and would be happy either way. In the end I simply wanted all the toys, so I got the 3.2L with the Prestige package. I don't regret it.

It's only been 18 hours, though, since I drove it off the lot...

------------
2011 Q5 3.2L - Quartz Grey / Black - Prestige
Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bwalter
The justification is simply a marketing decision. They have an inventory of 3.2L engines, they want to sell them, and this is how they'll do it. I understand your desire, but from Audi's perspective they have to work through supply, make money, and set the different engines and configurations apart.
You might be onto something. Isn't US/Canada pretty much the only place where 3.2 is being sold? I know it's available in Europe, but I doubt it sells at all considering the 2.0 and diesel options.

How about China? Anyone? Is 3.2 really purely shoved down to North American market?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's also about making things simpler for the American consumer...I read some marketing survey that when you give US buyers more than a few choices, they get all confused and often end up not even making a choice.

Frustrating for those of us who don't mind a bigger menu, but then again my experiences have lowered my expectations of my fellow countrymen (and women).
Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats like asking why the MB s-class doesnt have the cloth seat option
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no it's not like the cloth option for S Class. It's asking that the 2.0 version of Q5 has the same technology option packages available. So quite the reverse.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went one full cycle away from Audi (3 years of Porsche ownership) based solely on their marketing choices in the USA. They force feed us what they feel we want, and drag their feet on what we truly want. Case in point, the A3 2.0t quattro, and the MkII TT 2.0t quattro. I would have bought either of those two cars had they released them initially. Instead I switched brands - not that I proved anything to them, but I stood my ground.

I have mixed emotions about buying the 3.2 just to get the 'prestige', personally I feel that $54,000 is too lofty of a price tag for the Q5 with any combination of options, and then you get the crappy mileage as well as a phased out engine...

Im completely happy with my decision to get a heavily optioned 2.0t for what I felt is a great price as opposed to the $54,000 Prestige model that was - and still IS sitting on the showroom floor.

The 2.0t is going to take a huge bite out of the 3.2 sales - hold me to this statement and see how true it is by next summer...

Last edited by quattro v1.0; 08-18-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by quattro v1.0
The 2.0t is going to take a huge bite out of the 3.2 sales - hold me to this statement and see how true it is by next summer...
Any smaller engine in the same car will always sell better, thats almost always true in any make or model of car.

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0 - why no prestige option