Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dip stick was an easy install. Pull the plug out of the tube, insert the dip stick into tube, your done. Purchased from the audi dealer. $27.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisM
Mobil1 0W-40 is good oil. It meets the proper spec (VW502 00) and is on Audi's list of approved oils.
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09..._1997-2012.pdf
Never said it wasn't.
The Castrol seems to be more readily available and can be found for a good price.
I paid $34 with a free K&N oil filter and a $7 rebate.
I will sell the K&N on ebay for $5.
So $22 for Castrol Syn is pretty unbeatable.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Never said it wasn't.
The Castrol seems to be more readily available and can be found for a good price.
I paid $34 with a free K&N oil filter and a $7 rebate.
I will sell the K&N on ebay for $5.
So $22 for Castrol Syn is pretty unbeatable.
Ah, ok. I thought you were saying to use Syntec only because the dealers are using it. I'll have a 3.2L 5k+ mile uoa on Syntec soon.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for this as well. My second post was going to ask how to get that stupid thing off. I tugged a little, but didn't know if there were bolts and didn't want to break it. Now, I know!

I wonder how hard the plugs are, since that's the service that really worries me for price.

Also, anyone know if Audi tracks service and if you do your own you wind up devaluing the car since there is no official service history? Just wondering if I should let them have it up to the 50k warranty expiration and then take over from there.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

a couple of questions:

is the oil filter a canister type with a replaceable filter in side or is the complete filter replaced?
I asume there is a msg that comes up on the display for oil change/service. Is there any resetting to be done?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by q5dave
a couple of questions:

is the oil filter a canister type with a replaceable filter in side or is the complete filter replaced?

It's a spin-on type filter. There is no filter element inside that is replaceable.

I asume there is a msg that comes up on the display for oil change/service. Is there any resetting to be done?
Yes, I see two messages. One is about next oil change, the other about service being due. I use VAGCOM to reset. I can't recall if there is a provision in the MMI to reset on some of these cars.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by q5dave
a couple of questions:

Filter is a canister.

Oil change intervals can be reset in the MMI.
Service intervals need to be reset with a VAGCOM or at your dealership.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 9067
Size:  52.8 KB
Old 12-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, whats a VAGCOM? how much and where do you get it?
Is this a device that plugs into a port to read codes?
do you have to be a rocket scientist to run this VAGCOM?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Look forward to the 8sp tranny oil change... :0
Old 12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

PICKED UP MOBIL 1 , 0W40 oil and a Audi oil filter from the dealer, total $53.11 for 5 quarts and the filter
8010 miles I decided to change the oil. didn't even have to jack it up. Probably would have been a little easier to get to the rear screws for the plastic under cover but i managed it. Supposedly the 5k service was done according to the dealer(bought car with 7500 miles on it). I'm a little skeptical the oil was changed out at 5k. The mmi gage was down half way between min/max, couldn't find a wrench mark on the drain plug, the oil looked pretty dirty for only having 2500 miles on it. I cant be certain of course. changed it out. really easy the way the Oil filter is mounted , upside down. good design, oil drains right out. I pt just shy of the 5 quarts in as the manual says 4.9 qts. Fired it up, got it up to temperature, shut it down, pushed key back in, registered full on the MMi screen.
Hardest part is getting all the screws in and out of the undercover laying on my back on the garage floor. Where can I buy Audi filters in bulk?

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change