Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2015 Vs 2016 - which one to buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 2015 Vs 2016 - which one to buy ?

So I have heard(rumors?) that 2016 Q5 will be lighter due to MLB-evo architecture and will be produced in Mexico.

1. Is this expected to have any impact on its quality, safety standards and its resale value ?

2. Is the new model expected to have forward collision detect, auto break etc technologies ?

I am trying to decide between buying now or waiting for the new model. Any other inputs that will help in making that decision are appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1389
So I have heard(rumors?) that 2016 Q5 will be lighter due to MLB-evo architecture and will be produced in Mexico.

1. Is this expected to have any impact on its quality, safety standards and its resale value ?

2. Is the new model expected to have forward collision detect, auto break etc technologies ?

I am trying to decide between buying now or waiting for the new model. Any other inputs that will help in making that decision are appreciated.

thanks
I believe current prevailing opinion is that the 'new' model based on MLB is not coming as a 2016 model but actually as a 2017 or at least on a 2017 model timing (available in late 2016). None of this is definite yet but all the reports of the MLB for 2016 are fairly old and seem to be silent now. My bet would be that the Q5 available in 2015/16 will be the same Inglostadt build model we have today and the new MLB comes mid/late 2016. Time will tell....
Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. Yes, i meant for comparison between 2017 and 2015/2016 model.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Personally, Im not a fan of 'first year' of new models... but in this case... its first year, new factory, new employees, new subcontractors and supply lines.. EGAD.. Scary.

Id rather have my premium German car actually come from Germany built by Germans in an established factory. Just 'sayin...
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Don Keener
Personally, Im not a fan of 'first year' of new models... but in this case... its first year, new factory, new employees, new subcontractors and supply lines.. EGAD.. Scary.

Id rather have my premium German car actually come from Germany built by Germans in an established factory. Just 'sayin...
Agreed, "new everything" is a lot of cause for concern as there's a lot of places in the chain that should be expected to have teething issues. Personally I'd want to wait until at least the facelift before possibly making a move on the next-gen Mexican-built Q5. Hopefully in that time we'd have gotten some reasonable reliability data -- granted nothing long-term, but if things went the way they did with VW's plant there then we'd certainly know about it by that point.

Audi really needs to stay on top of things and keep Puebla under the microscope to ensure it gets off on the right foot and doesn't tank their brand image here. I know they're supposed to have some of their German staff stationed in Puebla for a while, but with language and cultural barriers it's hard to say how effective that'll be. Only time will tell....
Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Saw some additional VAG Mexico news today... Tiguan production to go to Mexico. I would assume that includes Q3 too.

VW to spend $1 billion on Mexico assembly plant expansion for Tiguan | Reuters

This one too... 'next year' for q5 kinda supports the 2017 thoughts.

Audi making plans to produce second model in North America - MarketWatch

Last edited by Don Keener; 03-10-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I am considering to get (lease) a Q5 2.0 in the next few months. I would wait for the 2016 if there is going to be one and if it will have the higher HP and Torque we have seen in the 2016 A6.
Anyone know what the plan is beyond a totally new Q5 coming in 2017? If there will be a 2016 Q5 when will Audi announce the features and the order guide (and when go on sale)?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Don Keener

That makes sense.
I am also curious about the new lightweight architecture using aluminium instead of all steel. Does that mean it will loose part of its towing capacity ? or crash safety for that matter!!

The only hesitation I have with the current Q5 is that it does not have as many tech features as its competitors, or probably the new mexQ5. Like forward collision warning etc.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 1389
2. Is the new model expected to have forward collision detect, auto break etc technologies?
Current one already has this as part of the driver assist package (requires prestige). Might be standard on the next gen.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well most modern cars are built by robots and computers, not humans... If something goes wrong with the robot, everything goes really wrong and the build stops.. Humans still do some of the work, but if you are thinking that a Q5 is hand built by craftsmen, fergettabutit...

You can search youtube for videos on how modern car factories are like.

For me the only reason to buy german made is to do european delivery, something you can't do with the mexican build. Briefly considered the X3 but the 4 cylinder diesel, runflat tires and non german factory made the Q5 a slam dunk.

If you are going for the TDI version, the reduction in weight for the new model plus tightening mpg requirements may cause them to downgrade to the 2.0 TDI which will be a massive loss in my mind...

So ya, buy the Q5v1 but not for fear of poor quality... Brand new model will have new engineering problems most likely, but I am less worried about factory quality control..

There is also talk of a brand new 4wd system with engine powered wheels on one end and electric motors on the other end... I'm not expecting the current vehicle with a few tweaks here and there... There are major changes coming... Also the dash will most likely be the super high tech display first shown on the TTv3.