Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 3.2 vs. Volvo XC60 and BMW X3 (F25)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrV
I seriously considered the Volvo XC60 and I am now extremely happy with my choice of a Q5 instead:
Ditto!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Hi all....it'll be time for a new car in a couple of months and I'm looking at the Q5 3.2 and Volvo XC60, and will I also look at the new X3 as soon as it is available.
Last year I drove all 3 before choosing the Q5. The choice was not difficult at all. If I had to choose again right now and the new X3 was added to the mix I think the choice would be more difficult. The 300HP BMW inline 6 is an amazing engine with awesome low end torque and very linear power delivery. I have an '08 335i and it's fabulous. Someone here rocommended to go with BMW because they've been making SUV much longer...that's just silly. Audi's AWD system has always been considered superior to BMW...and what else is there to build other than a tall "wagon-like" body? I have no idea what "bugs" are in need of working out...my Q5 has been outstanding. Unless you require the extra power of the BMW engine your best bet is a Q5. Additionally, I never buy a vehicle in it's first model year because often there ARE bugs to be worked out...but I almost did with the Q5. It was very hard to hold off on a 2009 model. Just my HO.
Have fun shopping for your new ride!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by happyaudi
I did test drive 2010 Audi Q5 twice and I also test drive the new 2011 BMW X5-xdrive35i. I like the BMW much better. More power and feel much sportier.
Thats like saying I test drove a Hyundai Sonata and then test driving a MB S-class and find the MB to be a much better sedan

Last edited by The G Man; 07-28-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I'd take the X3 off my list
When I test drove it with my family.
We found that it rides too hard, interior feels cheap (you get faux leather with the base package, prepare to add 1.5 grand for the real stuff), feels way too cramped inside with four passengers, and my younger sister found that the car smelled horrible on the inside , overall, there's just nothing to justify its higher price.

Did I mention it's incredibly ugly too?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

MY two-cents.. this is the first new car that I've ever owned where folks give me thumbs-up, tell me "You have a very nice Audi", or ask if they can take a look inside. I had a person sitting in one of the turbo Porsche suv's checking out my Audi at a traffic light recently. He was looking intently as most Germans do. Just last week I was in Stuttgart and I had am older gentleman in a nice MB wagon ask me (in Schwabisch - that ain't German!) if he could look at it. I said "sure" and he went over and started looking inside. Came back and said "very nice" with a smile.. Germans don't usually smile. The BMW's are ugly. A Volvo?? seriously?? They have come along way in the looks department but that is still an uninspiring brand to me. Next stop after the Volvo dealership is the retirement village, perhaps the shoe store to get something in really fake leather, black, just slips on and looks nice with white socks.

BMW making SUV's longer than Audi? Personally, I miss my Chevy Suburban. What Audi and BMW and the others call "SUV's" just don't compare. The new Sub comes in the 3/4ton chassis and I think the big diesel is an option. You haven't driven an SUV until you've owned a Sub! BMW looks over designed and over-the-top in some areas. For the price, size, and power... if those are your concerns, the Suburban will be a better buy, get you a bigger SUV, and drag that BWM around by the teeth if needed. For style, looks, and overall awesome-ness: hands down, Audi Q5.

Okay, I sound like a teenager but I told you this was my two-cents!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EricSLine
Next stop after the Volvo dealership is the retirement village, perhaps the shoe store to get something in really fake leather, black, just slips on and looks nice with white socks.
LOLOL...that's some funny shiz there!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The problem with an X3 is that it never seemed to me a car in its own right, more like "A mini X5 for those who cannot afford X5's price tag."

That's the problem. I bet 99% of X3's owners would buy an X5 if they could afford it. I'm not sure the same can be said for Q5 owners.

p.s. disclosure -- current owner of a 335i & loving it!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your input and for the the links - this will be a very tough decision.

As an FYI I have had a 528i, X5 and X3 as well as an S4 so I'm not a newbie to SUV/crossovers, BMW or Audi.

I doubt that "99% of X3's owners would buy an X5 if they could afford it. I'm not sure the same can be said for Q5 owners." I, for one, want a premium, sports-oriented AWD vehicle that is right-sized for my personal needs and my life in an urban area.

Again, thanks for the input!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I havent seen the new X3 yet, but the old X3's cheap interior was a real trun off. The BMW dealers were offering big discounts on the old X3, but there is no way I can sit in that Kmart interior for any length of time.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I havent seen the new X3 yet, but the old X3's cheap interior was a real trun off. The BMW dealers were offering big discounts on the old X3, but there is no way I can sit in that Kmart interior for any length of time.
The G Man:

Can't agree with you more. BMW's Nav can be better too.

Quick Reply: Q5 3.2 vs. Volvo XC60 and BMW X3 (F25)?