Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Adaptive Cruise Control

Hi All,
does anyone have Adaptive Cruise Control option in his Q5, just wonder can it brake the vehicle to standstill (I know the Q7 does)? as I read the brochure and it doesn't specify the operating range.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No adaptive cruise in a US spec Q5.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Australian Spec Adaptive Cruise Control ACC the manual says works from 30 to 200kmh, (20-120mph)with 4 settings, based on the time delay to the car in front, 1 second, 1.3 seconds, 1.8 seconds, 2.3 seconds. A driver intervention prompt lights and beeps if you have to brake.

There is also Audi Braking Guard which signals if you are about to hit something, even when ACC is deactivated.

But there is no mention of actually stopping the vehicle, and lots about how it's your responsibility to drive... perhaps Volvo's Crash Avoidance system had different lawyers..

Since the laws of physics seem to have eluded certain of my family members I ordered a 3.0 TDI (diesel) with ACC for the ABB, I'll know more in about 4 weeks when I get mine...

from http://www.audi.cn/audi/cn/en2/tools...e_control.html

Adaptive cruise control builds on the functionalities of the cruise control system and, within certain system limits, maintains the correct distance from the vehicle in front – automatically: the system uses a special radar sensor to measure the distance from the vehicle ahead. If the distance is too small, the system reduces speed moderately by easing the throttle or it automatically activates the brakes, up to approximately 25% of maximum vehicle deceleration. Once the road ahead is clear again, adaptive cruise control accelerates the car back up to the speed previously set.

If the braking process activated by the adaptive cruise control does not decelerate the vehicle sufficiently, an acoustic signal is triggered immediately to warn the driver to intervene manually. An outstanding feature of adaptive cruise control is its driving dynamics. The user can choose between four programs. Distance 1 (sporty), Distance 2 and 3 (standard), and Distance 4 (comfortable). The Distance 1 program maintains a short distance from the vehicle in front and accelerates swiftly back up to the journey speed set if the road ahead becomes clear.

The Distance 2 and Distance 3 programs allow the vehicle to flow along quickly with the flow of traffic. The Distance 4 program is used on country roads and when towing a trailer. Even if adaptive cruise control is activated, the driver is still responsible for monitoring his vehicle’s speed and the distance from the vehicle in front. Adaptive cruise control does not react to stationary objects or approaching vehicles. It should not be used on winding roads or in adverse weather conditions such as fog, ice or heavy rain.