Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Audio Upgrade

I recently bought a 2013 3.0T Q5 for my wife and I loved everything about it except for the stereo. Since I do drive it on occasion, I considered getting one with the Bang & Olufsen upgrade , but even with the significant improvement over the stock stereo (which is not saying much), The Bang & Olufsen was still not a great sounding system. After driving it for less than two weeks, I could not live with the poor sound quality any longer. Before we even received the license plates from the DMV, I found a local stereo installer (Icon Audio in Gig Harbor, WA) who is familiar with new European cars. Icon Audio proceeded to significantly upgrade the sound quality while keeping the factory MMI functions and head unit intact.

I ended up with the following modifications:

A basic high to low level sound processor was used to allow for an aftermarket amplifier to be added to the factory head unit. ($189)

6.5” Morel Virtus separates replaced the stock speakers in the front and rear doors while keeping the factory grills. ($700 per pair, $1,400 total)

The spare tire was removed, and in its place a custom fiberglass sub box was built with a 10” AudioMobile GTS 2110 subwoofer ($605) (See pictures)

A Phoenix Gold Ti21600 5 channel (1600 watt) amplifier was installed in the hidden truck compartment. The current configuration has it using 1300 watts. ($750) (See Pictures)

With the Amp Kit, RCA cables, labor and tax, it brought the entire upgrade cost to $3,685.

Everything in the system is hidden with no visible modifications to the car except for the grill of the subwoofer and port, which will normally be covered by the weathertech cargo liner. I no longer have a spare tire in the car, but let’s face it, if my wife gets a flat, she is not going to be changing a tire, and will have it towed to a local tire store (Isn’t that what AAA is for anyway?). I figure if we go on a long road trip through the desert, I can throw the spare in the cargo area.

I am beyond please with the upgrade. It sounds 10 times better than the standard Audi audio system and 5 times better than the Bang & Olufsen system. Now I can say the stereo is just as impressive as the rest of the car.
Attached Images     
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was non-B&O system?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

looks nice
Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by koobah
This was non-B&O system?
Yes, this was the non-B&O system. I did like the B&O system I heard in one of the Q5s I test drove, but put choice of color over the sound system since we got it late 2013 and selection was limited since the 14's were coming out soon.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you still utilizing the liner, and if so, doesn't it interfere with the output of the sub?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you still utilizing the liner, and if so, doesn't it interfere with the output of the sub?
Why would it interfere w/the output of the sub, unless you're talking about any noise caused by the liner flopping up and down?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PNWAudiFan: This is a fantastic install. I have been going back and forth on whether to put in an aftermarket system in place of the spare tire. I think you have a very good point though - if we ever get a flat we will be calling Audi roadside assistance.

Can you share with us which brand/model sound processor you are using? Also, is it installed under the amp right off the battery/stock amp?

Last edited by Parsec; 09-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Really nice... Icon Audio has pictures of the work they did on your Q5 on their Facebook page.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Why would it interfere w/the output of the sub, unless you're talking about any noise caused by the liner flopping up and down?
That, plus restricting the movement of air, since the liner is made out of rubber.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That, plus restricting the movement of air, since the liner is made out of rubber.
He might notice it since he seems to be an audiophile, but I don't think it will sound different to 99% of us. Subwoofers are often put in the trunk of a sedan, so the bass needs to work through the backseat. Similar issue here, I think.

Quick Reply: Q5 Audio Upgrade